HDV Deck compatible with A1 "frame" recording - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 4th, 2007, 03:26 PM   #61
Major Player

50 hours will not but a big strain on your A1. But if you plan on keeping it awhile and shoot lots of footage you migh consider getting the HV20 as a deck and B camera. I own both and use the HV20 to edit. It captures footage, including the A1's 24f, with no problems.

To keep the hours to a minimum use "capture now" as opposed to "batch capture" to capture a whole tape. You cand then delete the footage you don't need from you NLE.
Jim Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2007, 03:45 PM   #62
Major Player

I am also using the HV20 as B cam and to capture even from Sony cams. The difference is that I capture component out to DVCPRO HD codec. It is just easier on multi-cam shoot.
Old May 5th, 2007, 05:50 PM   #63
Contributor

If you're shooting 24P HDV with your XH A1, there is no deck, so you have to buy either the HV10 or HV20 if you don't want to load footage with the XH A1. I personally would go for the 20 because it also does 24p and there might be times you'd want a smaller, lighter and less conspicuous camera.

It's not all that bad to use your camera as a deck if you do it sparingly, and 50 tapes isn't all that much. I also think it's easier on the camera if you capture in one pass. If you're using FCP, latest version, you can do that and FCP will magically divide it into individual clips for you. So, instead of going through the tape, setting an in and out point for the first clip, rewinding, cueing, playing, stopping, recueing, then going to the next clip...what you do is just set an in point at the beginning and an out point at the end and capture it all. You can then name your clips after they're captured. If you have 50 takes on a tape, the camera is going to be stopping and starting about 100 times using traditional capture. By doing the whole tape, you save a lot of mechanical wear.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2007, 06:45 AM   #64
Trustee

Or you could purchase something like a Firestore.
Footage transfers to computer then takes minuets instead of Hours, and you have the tapes as a backup.
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2007, 07:08 AM   #65
Regular Crew

using HV10 or HV20 as deck

2 Questions:
1. Will the HV10 playback over firewire 24f mode from tapes made on the A1?
2. For tapes recorded with the A1's 24f mode, if played back on the HV20 (or Hv10) how does it come across firewire on capture as 24p or 24p with the HV20's strange pulldown. (OK, maybe it's not strange, just difficult to work with in FCP in a 24p timeline.)

Rick
Rick Llewellyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2007, 06:46 PM   #66
Major Player

I have an A1 and an HV20. 24f from the A1 plays just fine on the HV20 and inputs to FCP as 24p 23.98fps just like it would from the A1. no problems
Jim Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2007, 06:51 PM   #67
Contributor

Good to hear that. That's what it's supposed to do, but it's nice to hear it for sure from a user.
Old May 9th, 2007, 07:25 PM   #68
Major Player

i concur! hv20.

however, on down-converting or hdv importing it does not split scenes in Vegas.

anyone else? for importing HDV, I have been using HDV split.
Cineform NEO does not detect scene splits either.

Anyway, as a deck it's fine and you get a camera too.
Eric Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2007, 09:20 PM   #69
Regular Crew

A1 as deck for HV20

What happens when you play back a tape recorded on the HV20 in 24p on the A1? Do you still get the pull down that is difficult to extract to no pull down 24p?

Rick
Rick Llewellyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2007, 09:36 AM   #70
Major Player

sony HVRM25U deck w/ XH-A1?

Anyone using this deck w/ the XHA1? Any problems or issues playing all resolutions/frame rates etc?
Mike Meyerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2007, 09:47 AM   #71
Obstreperous Rex

Frequently asked. Please search before posting.

All Sony HDV decks will play back Canon 1080i60 video.

However no Sony HDV decks will play back Canon 1080p24 or 1080p30 video (otherwise known as Frame mode or 24F and 30F). If you don't want to use your XH-A1 or G1 as a deck, then you'll need a Canon HV10 or HV20 consumer HDV camcorder to play back Frame mode 24F and 30F video. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2007, 12:36 PM   #72
Contributor

HV10 as deck--any problems?

I've seen some posts of people using the HV20 as a deck. I'm wondering if there's anybody using the HV10 and if it functions OK with FCP and with the XH A1's 24f footage. I know the camera plays back all Canon frame rates, but I wonder how it works in actual use with FCP--ie., has anybody had one for a few months and been using it with no difficulties?
Old June 29th, 2007, 02:04 PM   #73
Contributor

Nobody using this?
Old June 29th, 2007, 04:30 PM   #74
Disjecta

I have not tested this but I believe there have been no issues around using the HV10 as a full deck.
Old June 29th, 2007, 04:33 PM   #75
Contributor

I'm just trying to get confirmation from somebody who is actually using to load 24p footage into FCP.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders