HDV Deck compatible with A1 "frame" recording - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old December 11th, 2006, 03:58 PM   #31
Obstreperous Rex

The primary advantage of a deck is that it keeps the camera free for shooting video. A camera that isn't shooting is a camera that isn't earning.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2006, 06:44 PM   #32
Regular Crew

From the perspective of an enthusiast, should I be concerned about the extra wear and tear of using my camera as a deck? Of course like James said, I'm only capturing and then I'm done with it. I would say it's no more than a weekly occasion to be used like this.
Wade Hanchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2006, 06:59 PM   #33
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hanchey
From the perspective of an enthusiast, should I be concerned about the extra wear and tear of using my camera as a deck? Of course like James said, I'm only capturing and then I'm done with it. I would say it's no more than a weekly occasion to be used like this.
use your cam as much as you want. just try to use always the same tapes. if the heads are dirty, clean them carefully. and if one day you have some serious trouble buy a firestore and dont use tapes anymore. anyway for the majority of people they will change their cam before the heads are used-up.
Laurent Delaroziere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2006, 07:09 PM   #34
Contributor

For personal use, I don't think there's any big issue with using the camera to load your footage. That's what I'm doing. At work we have a DVCAM deck in each suite (as well as Betacam decks), and if we move to some other format, there'll be 2 of those decks too, so the Canon would be out in our particular production environment. But for my own documentary stuff, I'm going to load footage with it. I am using the Panasonic AMQ tapes and I only use a tape one time. I doubt there will be any more than 20 tapes I shoot for the current project, if that many.

When I whine about the lack of a real deck, it's in relation to a production environment. Although the quality of what I'm seeing out of the XH A1 is good enough for our purposes (and we could buy an H1 and a couple of A1s and have enough left over for a couple of decks, if there were any decks, for the price of an XDCAM HD camera alone), we couldn't do that because of the lack of decks. In an ideal world you could load all your footage in advance and then edit it and not need a deck. But in our world, it doesn't work that way, unfortunately.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2006, 07:34 PM   #35
Major Player

"Pardon my ignorance, but what is the use of an editing deck in digital video?"

It's a matter of wear and tear. I use my cameras for wedding work and I must have confidence in their performance. I just would'nt feel comfortable capturing, rewinding and rolling tape over the heads for hours with a camera that's vital to my work. That's about it.
Bob
Bob Harotunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2006, 07:34 PM   #36
Trustee

So basically there's no professional deck to capture from?

What's wrong with this picture???
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2006, 07:50 PM   #37
Obstreperous Rex

You can use any Sony HDV 1080i deck for capture, as long as it's 60i video that we're talking about. If you plan to use 24F or 30F heavily and you're not comfortable with playing back tapes from the camera or from the little HV10 camcorder-as-a-deck, then you should seriously consider the various available tapeless recording options such as the FireStore.

Or some other camcorder other than Canon HDV, it's up to you.

In all honesty, your tapeless options are less expensive than a deck anyway. As well as being more productive than using a deck, since there's no video capture process involved, thanks to the edit-ready files generated by a tapeless recording solution. But I think we've covered this ground before.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2006, 08:39 PM   #38
Regular Crew

Maybe so. But each time I read about it again, something new gets into this dense head of mine.
Wade Hanchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2006, 03:47 AM   #39
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor
Wade, just last week I went back for a client into some footage that was 15 years old. We file all our original tapes basically forever. A hard drive isn't a safe place to store original footage.
Of course 15 years is beyond the manufacturer's expected lifespan of many tape brands under normal storage conditions. Beware of sticky shed!

I worked as an archivist for a couple of years, and there is basically no perfect storage solution. Tapes need to be stored at a constant temperature 15 celcus 20% humidity to ensure maximum longevity.

Some tapes may start to lose their cohesive properties in as little as 5 years, especially when stored in humid locations or where the temperature fluctuates. When they start to deteriorate the magnetic layer starts to come away from the substrate, covering your video heads in a layer of magnetic dust and sticky tape glue. When this happens you can start to say "bye-bye" to your heads.

So you cannot *rely* on tapes, just as you cannot rely on DVDs, HDs, CDs, or pretty much any other format. The only way to ensure you have a retrievable backup is to find out the manufacturer's life expectancy for the particular medium you're using; store it in a cool, dry location; and make sure you copy footage onto new media before this lifespan is up.
Old December 12th, 2006, 07:21 AM   #40
Trustee

Guys, quit getting hung up on the 'deck' thing. If you think more like 'ingest device', then the HV10 makes perfect sense. For HDV it's much cheaper and more compact than a comparable sony deck. Even if canon were to release a so called deck, it would be the guts of an HV10 in larger square case, cost $500 more and not have a lens.
Peter Ferling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2006, 07:57 AM   #41
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ferling
Even if canon were to release a so called deck, it would be the guts of an HV10 in larger square case, cost $500 more and not have a lens.
Yeah, that's it... Where can I get one of those? :-P
Old December 12th, 2006, 08:16 AM   #42
Trustee

Hmmm. Sounds like a business deal... I could order a truck load of HV10's, gut'em and glue them into shoeboxes and sell for $1500 or more... : )
Peter Ferling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2006, 04:34 PM   #43
Regular Crew

HV10 question - timely!

Hey all,

Going to buy this to use as a deck with my soon-to-be-ordered XH-A1, have one big question - can this camera be set to downcovert HDV material from the A1 and play it out as DV?

I edit in dv, deliver in dvcam, so this is a biggie.

Looking to purchase tomorrow or Thurs., so any HV10 users who can help me out, much appreciated.

Thanks,

Stu
Stu Siegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2006, 05:24 PM   #44
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Siegal
can this camera be set to downcovert HDV material from the A1 and play it out as DV?

Yes, page 34 of the manual which you can download at:
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=14059
Jerome Marot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2006, 05:32 PM   #45
Regular Crew

Thanks Jerome (hadn't even thought of the manual).
Stu Siegal is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders