Follow Focus for Canon XH - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 12th, 2007, 11:40 AM   #31
Major Player

Well, clearly I am compensating :P

If anyone has any questions about setup stuff, let me know. I had to work a lot of the Canon's focus issues and make the RR hand-hold-able
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 11:50 AM   #32
Trustee

Would that work with a Sony A1U?
Old July 12th, 2007, 01:02 PM   #33
Major Player

I have seen people use Redrock adapters with A1U's and pretty much any camera really. Check out the Alternative Imaging Forums or www.redrockmicro.com to learn more about them. There is also the 35mm Brevis, P+S Technick, and a whole plethora of adapters
Old July 12th, 2007, 01:08 PM   #34
Major Player

hey matthew,

the rig looks pretty sick. when i assemble my xha1/redrock setup, sadly enough, it looks just as unwieldly ;). do you shoulder mount the rig? if you do, i'm curious how you position the monitor/arm when you do. i'm currently using the marshall, but thinking about trading that in for the swit or ikan -- the marshall is just too heavy, and the noga arm is barely strong enough to keep it steady. also, how are you powering the swit?

thanks...
Henry Cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 04:57 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Matthew,

That is a sweet rig! Would love to see some footage in the near future. My A1 is on the way and hope to have a set up like yours some day.

Speaking of rigs, I have a 3ccd panny that I love dearly and am a part of a forum for guys like me who own nice little panasonics and like to add on to stock cameras. That forum has a nice little section that allows members to check out what others have done with their set-ups via pics like you have posted here.

Being new to the forum, I was wondering if there is a place on this site to view a collection other A1's. It is always nice to learn from others and their ideas.

Thanks

Jay
Jay Legere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 05:47 PM   #36
Major Player

Hey Henry,

I lower the swit so it sits right next to the M2 and right infront of my face, then I put the camera body and rod underneath it on my shoulder and hand hold the grips. The new Follow Focus makes it a bit tougher, and it certainly is heavy. If I could just get a colour, HD viewfinder which turned the image right side up and put that to my eye like a broadcast camera, I'd be set.
Old July 13th, 2007, 09:44 AM   #37
Regular Crew

Just curious, how heavy is that when not on the tripod? Looks like the hulk would have a hard time lifting that! :D lol
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2007, 10:24 AM   #38
Major Player

Well, I am about 6'4 and 270lbs so I can manage it fine, but it weighs about 30lbs or so (maybe 40lbs with EVERYTHING on) so it's like shooting with a super16mm or 35mm camera. Not light, but it's the price you pay.

I have even worked out a case so that I can load it up 90% assembled and be ready to shoot in less than a minute.

I'll post a pic of the case as soon as I get back my wide angle SLR lenses, cause my 50mm is just too damn long.
|
I can post some hand-holding pics if you want too, might help demonstrate the balance of the rig. Footage coming too, I swear.
Old July 13th, 2007, 03:43 PM   #39
Major Player

Yeah more pics would be great.
Evan C. King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2007, 08:37 PM   #40
Regular Crew

been looking to by a monitor to mount to the top like yours. Which one do you have....how much if you dont mind me asking?
Wes Powell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2007, 09:37 PM   #41
Regular Crew

Nice rig.

I'm also jealous.
Andrew Ott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2007, 02:30 PM   #42
Major Player

Added are pictures of my case. I can put the A1 in the case 90% built, so run and gun shooting is a lot easier. Granted, the case weights about 50lbs :P

The case is a pelican 1650, and the only things that don' fit are my cavision shoulder mount and some extra lenses (but my 50mm and my 28mm stay inside)

http://www.notomatofilms.com/case1.jpg

http://www.notomatofilms.com/case2.jpg

WES: It's a varizoom SWIT monitor. It connects via component cables and is about 90% as good as Marshalls monitor. I love it.
Old July 16th, 2007, 02:33 PM   #43
Major Player

my img code still didn't work, so here they are attached!
Attached Thumbnails
Follow Focus for Canon XH-case1.jpg   Follow Focus for Canon XH-case2.jpg  

Old July 16th, 2007, 04:27 PM   #44
Regular Crew

The SWIT monitor is not HD though is it?
Old July 16th, 2007, 08:09 PM   #45
Regular Crew

Hey Matt, I live in Toronto as well.

Your pimp'of'an'A1 should duel my bare bones A1. I warn you, mine has a lot of heart even though it lacks muscle.

It also knows how to self destruct in dire situations, but I sure as hell hope it doesn't come to that. For your sake and mine!
Lloyd Choi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders