Follow Focus for Canon XH at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 27th, 2006, 09:09 PM   #1
Major Player

Follow Focus Compatibility? -- Oops!

Well, I was just wondering, based on the images we've seen with the added iris ring, will current follow focus systems be able to take advantage of it?

I don't know the exact usefulness of it, I just thought that would be neat. Maybe someone could come up with a dual follow focus-like system?
Old July 27th, 2006, 09:26 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Jack, how's Vegas. It's been awhile.

So far the best follow focus solution I've seen for these particular lenses comes from my friend Karl Horn out in L.A. -- basically it's just a geared ring that fits snugly over the lens control ring. No reason why you can't have one for focus and one for iris. I hope this pic from NAB does justice to the concept. It's showing an XL1 but the same idea applies to these cams.
Attached Thumbnails
Follow Focus for Canon XH-followfocus.jpg  

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2006, 08:54 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Chris, that's reassuring to know there's something out there already for this.

Vegas has been pretty darn hot lately actually, but I haven't had much time for the strip or anything, too busy with summer school at the moment. =)
Old July 28th, 2006, 03:01 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Oops -- boy did I goof up big time.

Sorry guys, but the solution I talked about above will *not* work.

I was thinking about this and realized there's a physical limitation on the XH camcorders that will prevent the slip-on geared ring idea from working. If you look at the photos included below, it's pretty clear that the Instant AF sensor and the XLR audio input module over on the right side of the camera body are going to prevent you from slipping anything over those lens control rings. I don't know why I didn't think about this before responding to Jack's post.

If you can't see the attached images, just go to http://www.dvinfo.net/canonxh/articles/images2.php and look at the fourth photo down from the top and you'll see what I mean.
Attached Thumbnails
Follow Focus for Canon XH-640front1.jpg   Follow Focus for Canon XH-640front2.jpg  

Follow Focus for Canon XH-640front3.jpg   Follow Focus for Canon XH-640front4.jpg  

Old July 28th, 2006, 08:06 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I suppose if you were really desperate, the instant af could be removed, and maybe left dangling?

Camera: Canon XH A1 (once it's out!!)
Lens: Canon FD 50mm f/1.4, 35mm-70mm f/2.8-3.5, 70mm-140mm f/3.8
Adapter: Micro35 DIY *Ghetto style!*
Matthew Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2006, 11:45 PM   #6
Trustee

I've seen a follow focus that uses a rubber wheel and no gear on the boards here somewhere, can't remember where, but I think they were developped by a board member.

These should work for this camera.
Old July 29th, 2006, 01:36 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I forgot about that... It's called the indiFocus, click here for the site. I've heard it works fairly well except for fast racks, which can sometimes cause it to skip.

Old July 29th, 2006, 06:19 AM   #8
Major Player

Can't all those things just then be mounted on the opposite side?
Evan C. King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2006, 08:19 AM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

Matthew, thanks for that link, I remember seeing it before and thought I had it bookmarked, but couldn't find it recently. I've been looking for that thing.

Evan, the type of FF we're talking about that won't work at all with the XH is the kind that involves slipping a geared ring over the lens focus control ring... it's not a question of which side the FF control is on... but a matter of not being able to slip the geared ring over the lens. The photos above should show what I mean.

Old July 29th, 2006, 11:09 AM   #10
Major Player

The Instant Focus module does look like it's just screwed onto the lens with two small screws. So maybe it will be possible to remove the entire module? If it is, hopefuly the IR emitter isn't hard wired to the rest of the camera and there is some standard connector there. A connector would be awesome because then we could remove the module and disconnect the connector.

The IR sensor is also blocked if you put a matte box on the lens so being able to remove and relocate the module would be even more important if you still wanted to use Instant Focus. I wonder if the exact position of the IR sensor is important to the Instant Focus system and if moving it around will mess up the algorithms.
Tim Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2006, 11:40 AM   #11
Obstreperous Rex

Removing it might void your warranty though. Also, just about any lens attachment (not filters, but things like teleconverters, wide angle adapters etc.) will probably block that sensor too.

Old July 29th, 2006, 05:29 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Removing it might void your warranty though. Also, just about any lens attachment (not filters, but things like teleconverters, wide angle adapters etc.) will probably block that sensor too.
No problem with the link Chris, I wouldn't be surprised if I originally got it from you on some other post somewhere. As for the instant AF, is this the only AF mechanism on this camera? It seems to be a poorly thought out device if it is, since these models are clearly intended for professionals, and Canon had to know many would be using support gear that would get in the way.

Old February 15th, 2007, 09:46 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Follow Focus

Has anyone successfully adapted or been able to use a follow focus on the A1/G1 with the focus sensor being in the way?
James Collinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2007, 09:54 AM   #14
Contributor

I'm finding that I can follow focus myself in most cases because of the distance readouts on the screen, something impossible with manual lenses. When an assistant is available, I can flip out the LCD screen into a position where he can read it, and he does the focus shift. The external sensor is irrelevant for that.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2007, 10:28 AM   #15
Major Player

James,

I've got an arriflex follow focus over here (rented) and am using it with Nikon lenses on my M@ adapter.. however, you cannot use a follow focus on most video cams (HVX and DVX excluded) because the lenses are electronic, not manual. The lens marlks would be inconcistent because focus distances changes if you spin the focus wheel faster or slower.

Shame
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders