Notice from Canon regarding XH Series handgrip (XH A1 / A1S / G1 / G1S) - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old December 22nd, 2009, 09:45 PM   #16
Regular Crew

I checked here in the states for the nearest repair place and it came up with California or New Jersey. I'm with you I'm guessing the cost of shipping it would be to much to make it worth it. I might call to see if there is anyplace closer to Minnesota that could fix it seeing I'd hate to have it break while shooting and have the camera damaged
Kevin Myhre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2009, 10:54 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Maybe we could just round up all the A1s in MN and ship em in a crate. :)
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2009, 11:23 PM   #18
Regular Crew

I am up for that! Sheesh! Thats alot of cash to send in one camera, and they want it insured and tracked and a whole lot of costly things... I would much rather get a flat rate box from USPS and send it like that!
Old December 31st, 2009, 12:36 AM   #19
Regular Crew

yeah that would be nice. it would be even better if they had a place closer that could fix them. too bad they won't pay for shipping to get it fixed. I do a lot of hand held shooting and now I'm kind of worried about the thing breaking but really don't want to spend the money to ship it to them. We should check to see if there is anything else we could do. Maybe they could just send us the piece
Old December 31st, 2009, 10:33 PM   #20
New Boot

Are you having to pay to ship yours in? I contacted canon's customer support (web chat) and they started a work order for me and emailed me a shipping label, standard shipping via UPS I believe. I sent my XH A1 in the week of December 14th (forgot what day exactly) and they revived it on the 22nd. They finished it up yesterday and send it back via Fedex priority overnight and I got it this morning. It didnt cost me anything since I already had a box and some packing peanuts.

It also looks like they did a maintenance check on it and aligned the tape transport on it. I'm also in Arkansas and they had it shipped to New Jersey.
Steven Swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2010, 12:58 AM   #21
Regular Crew

I'll have to contact them. If it's free shipping I can do without my camera for a little while if it doesn't cost me anything to ship it
Old January 1st, 2010, 03:33 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Maybe I should hurry up and shoot a bunch of tapes, so maybe I can get a nice free head cleaning? All kidding aside, that really is the kind of going the extra mile sort of customer care that will definitely help make sure I don't overlook Canon when it comes time to shop for a camcorder. I sure hope they come out with a 3-1/3" CMOS AVCHD camcorder this spring, that's as much a nice little leap forward for AVCHD cams, as the XH-A1 was for HDV cams a few years back, when it was introduced.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2010, 02:43 PM   #23
Regular Crew

I just got off the phone with Canon. Guess I shouldn't have jumped to conclusions that I'd have to pay to ship it to them. They'll be sending me shipping instructions and a shipping label so all I have to do is find a box. They said it normally takes about a week and a half to two weeks to get done.
Old January 4th, 2010, 03:10 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Maybe I jumped to conclusions too. I'm going to have another look and see if Canon Canada is as nice. The guy I talked to on the phone didn't have a clue as to what was going on.
Kevin Currie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 10:43 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Free shipping for recall

I contacted Canon about the recall, but all I got was the box for shipping it back. I called them again, and they said they would send me a pre-paid shipper label. Maybe someone forgot to include it with the box when they shipped it, or maybe I accidentally threw it away.

Regardless, they are covering shipping for the recall.
Old January 28th, 2010, 08:03 PM   #26
Major Player

Hi All,

I dropped off my XHA1 this morning at the Canon Canada in Toronto and they agreed to change the handgrip for me free of charge. I should have it next week.
Will keep you guys posted.

Matthew
Old February 2nd, 2010, 08:14 PM   #27
Major Player

Hi All,

Just to let you all know that I picked up my XHA1 yeasterday from Canon here in Toronto and did replace the hand grip part to a new durable one.
Great thanks to Mike and Nike at Canon Canada.

Matthew
Old April 13th, 2010, 11:07 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Peregrine View Post
2. If the seventh digit of the serial number is 2 or higher.
Phewwww. Not that they would have fixed mine, as I ordered mine from an onlineshop and they imported it from HK.
Hameed Aabid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2013, 08:36 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Re: Notice from Canon regarding XH Series handgrip (XH A1 / A1S / G1 / G1S)

Interesting, as a tech that works on these camcorders on a daily basis it's pretty rear to get one of these in with that area of the camera damaged unless it's been dropped.
Sherman Bahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2016, 07:42 AM   #30
New Boot

Re: Notice from Canon regarding XH Series handgrip (XH A1 / A1S / G1 / G1S)

Hello,

I realise this is a very old thread, but thought I might mention that I' recently bought an XH A1S that had a broken handgrip bracket. I ordered a spare part from H Lehmann (UK) for about £25, which arrived after a couple of days. Removing the old cover and replacing it was a relatively straightforward affair, the only tricky bit being refitting the tape mechanism cover on the new part, but all in took about an hour and was achievable with one screwdriver and a little patience!

cheers

Dave
David Jenkinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders