Two Grains Of White 'Dirt' behind actual XHA1 lens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old February 25th, 2011, 01:47 AM   #1
Major Player

Two Grains Of White 'Dirt' behind actual XHA1 lens

Hi Guys

Any ideas how I might be able to get rid of two small grains of white dirt that are wedged in behind my XHA1 lens?

Have read here about 'freezing' the camera then shaking it...but wondering if there are any less dramatic methods?

Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Two Grains Of White 'Dirt' behind actual XHA1 lens-dscf1342.jpg   Two Grains Of White 'Dirt' behind actual XHA1 lens-dscf1345.jpg  

Peter Dunphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2011, 02:14 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Two Grains Of White 'Dirt' behind actual XHA1 lens

White 'dirt' is usually fungus, not dirt. Left alone, it will grow into a larger spot. If it is fungus, you won't 'dislodge' it.

The lens will need to be disassembled and cleaned.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2011, 04:26 PM   #3
Major Player

Wow thanks Richard. Bad news big time. Have emailed Canon to see how much they charge for repair and how long it takes.
Peter Dunphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 05:40 AM   #4
Major Player

Dismounting of the lens front

Hi

Been there, done that! Two years ago I thought there was something wrong with my eyes. It looked as there was a small mosquito flying around in the lens house. A closer inspection showed that it actually was not a problem with my eyes, there was a mosquito which probably had found its way into the lens hose from the small hole on the underside of the lens house. It also had made marks on the inside of the front lens element. I thought that a camcorder isn't high-tech (hrm...) so I bought a set of quality screwdrivers, took a deep breath and dismounted the front of the camcorder lens house.

Look at my description, Bo Sundvalls hemsida. , follow the link "Canon camcorders" and the link "opening the lens house...". There you find a comlete description with photos how to dismount the front of the lens.

Be aware that I don't say you should do it, I just show how I did it. The responsability is yours.

Regards,

/Bo
Bo Sundvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2011, 05:48 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Bo I appreciate the info.
Peter Dunphy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders