DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Canon XH batteries / battery thread (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/72441-canon-xh-batteries-battery-thread.html)

Bill Pryor February 4th, 2007 07:37 PM

I had a bad NP1 battery years ago from Sony. It happens.

Edward Randolph February 5th, 2007 01:38 AM

Battery Gremlin

Thanks for the response.
The battery is a Canon BP-950G.
I put it back on the charger and within a couple of hours (guessing) it showed a steady light again. I put it in the camera and have turned it off and on for a few minutes several times in the last few hours and it looks fine. It's still showing a full charge on the batt meter.
At this point I'm willing to blame a Gremlin. It's weird. I just hope it doesn't happen again. OR maybe I should hope it happens again quick so I can get a new one from Canon.?????

Bill Busby February 5th, 2007 01:51 AM

I've had this happen twice, 2 different batteries & I believe it's a charger issue. I've gotten in the habit of sliding all batteries to be charged a second time when using that charger before I leave it on to complete the charge cycle. Ever since then there's been no problems. Could be nothing. Could be a contact issue & that second sliding might be cleaning crud I can't see on the contacts? Who knows?

I have Lenmar fast charger as well & is a bit faster & haven't had the above issues.

Bill

Matt Crane February 5th, 2007 06:14 AM

Has anyone ordered the BP-970G battery yet? The big one.

Stu Siegal February 5th, 2007 07:46 AM

Any chance you know someone with another charger, so that you can test it in theirs? Maybe your dealer? Also, cleaning the contacts with a pencil eraser sometimes helps. Still, think you just happened to get a bad battery.

Bill Ritter February 5th, 2007 08:38 AM

a

Unless the charger was changed from the GL1, GL2, and XL-1s chargers, I don't believe you can charge at the same time you are running a camcorder off of the same charger.

Bill in Ohio

Matthew Nayman February 5th, 2007 09:26 AM

Did you put the battery in the camera the night before your hike? I have accidentally left camcoreders on VCR in a bag overnight which drains the battery. Then I go to shoot... OOPs.

Matt

Bill Pryor February 5th, 2007 12:09 PM

I did the same thing when I first got the A1, thought I turned it off but switched it to VCR mode instead.

I've been leaving the battery in the camera, and there doesn't seem to be any drain (assume it's off) as there are with bigger cameras I have.

And speaking of batteries, I assume there's an internal battery somewhere to store all the settings, but I don't recall reading about it in the manual, and I haven't seen a little battery compartment anyplace.

Mark Leonard February 5th, 2007 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Crane
Has anyone ordered the BP-970G battery yet? The big one.

yeah I got the big one...no probs so far I'm guessing can go over 5 hours with that thing.

Chris Hurd February 5th, 2007 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Pryor
speaking of batteries, I assume there's an internal battery somewhere to store all the settings, but I don't recall reading about it in the manual...

Described on page 14. Built-in, and recharges automatically.

Bogdan Tyburczy February 5th, 2007 03:36 PM

The shutdown of your camcorder could also be a false reaction caused by humidity, but if the problem occurs again, send your camera and battery to Factory Service. Some internal defects may be tricky, resulting with inconsistent and difficult to reproduce symptoms. It doesn't take much, just one loose connection or solder point.

Edward Randolph February 6th, 2007 02:20 AM

Battery

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Nayman
Did you put the battery in the camera the night before your hike? I have accidentally left camcoreders on VCR in a bag overnight which drains the battery. Then I go to shoot... OOPs.

Matt

No. I left it in the charger overnight, Used the AC adapter all morning and then, just before the hike, I put the "charged" battery in the cam.
When I got home and put it on the charger again, it read "0" , 1 blink per second.
I have the battery from that second charge in the camera right now, dubbing a tape straight to DVD and it is working fine.
I've ordered the BP-970 clone from BestBatt.com for $68 along with the $19.50 AC/Car charger. I'll report on how they work.

Barry Richard February 6th, 2007 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Randolph
I've ordered the BP-970 clone from BestBatt.com for $68 along with the $19.50 AC/Car charger. I'll report on how they work.

I got a similar clone for about the same price (the Power2000 bp970 clone, 8000Ah)

Seems to work fine, though its only done a couple of cycles...

Alastair Brown February 6th, 2007 03:16 PM

Battery question

Will my BP941H batteries from my old XL1 be ok for use in my XH-A1? No mention of them in the manual. Connections look the same?

Correction...they are slightly different, see picture link below.

Bill Pryor February 6th, 2007 03:24 PM

I checked out a battery from a friend's XL1, and it worked fine in my XH A1. He's getting an A1 and wanted to be sure the half dozen batteries he has would work.