DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Canon XH batteries / battery thread (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/72441-canon-xh-batteries-battery-thread.html)

Scott Keyworth February 13th, 2007 01:31 PM

ElipZ 10K battery - specs

The ElipZ 10 K battery is a 10,500 Mah battery. The largest Canon battery is 5400 Mah.

The watt hours of each battery is: ah X nominal voltage (7.2)
ElipZ 10.5 X 7.2 = 75.6 wh
Canon 5.4 X 7.2 =38.88 wh

You can expect approximately 2x the runtime out of the ElipZ battery. Or you can power BOTH the AH1 and the 10w ElightZ on camera light for the same amount of time as the Canon battery.

Scott Keyworth
Anton/Bauer

Barry Gribble February 13th, 2007 01:50 PM

I just did a shoot this weekend with the Impact Canon BP-970 compatible, which I think is 7200 Mah I think. We ran a full 8.5 hour day with the cameras on most of the time, and recorded two full tapes and never had to switch batteries.

That said, the Elipz is a pretty tough sell for the bulk it adds. Certainly the difference may show up on a 12 hour day, I'm not sure.

Philip Hinkle February 16th, 2007 12:10 PM

Generic Battery removal...another fix

I got my A1s this week and already have a number of generic batteries from my GL2s that I hoped to use. 2 of the generics worked great and came out easily. I had 4 others that were a little sticky but not too bad but bad enough that I didn't want to use them except as a last resort.

Last night I lay awake unable to sleep and an idea hit me. Velcro!

There is room in the battery compartment when it is closed. I had some heavy duty stuff laying around. I put a little one inch piece on the back of one of my "sticky" batteries. Opened the door and grabbed it with the other side of the velcro....out slides the battery with no problem. Keep a little piece in your pocket and the batteries come out anytime with no problem....I guess I have a few extra batteries I can use now.

Just an idea....sometimes those night time ideas work out.

Chris Hurd February 16th, 2007 12:19 PM

An excellent tip -- thanks for sharing this, Philip!

Alastair Brown February 16th, 2007 02:53 PM

Yep...good idea!

If you put the opposing velcro on your lens cap, then it would double as a puller . And...if you put another spare bit somewhere, it would keep you lens cap safe as well.

Philip Hinkle February 16th, 2007 03:06 PM

Even better idea with the lens cap.

Ahhh.... velcro...is there anything it can't do?
:-)

Brian Brown February 16th, 2007 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philip Hinkle
Ahhh.... velcro...is there anything it can't do?
:-)

Well, for the few things that Velcro can't do, duct tape and bailing wire will! ;-)

Alastair Brown February 16th, 2007 03:35 PM

Can you post images on here?

I think we should start a best lens cap velcro location competition!

Alastair Brown February 16th, 2007 03:37 PM

Hang on...I just think I won!

If you stuck another piece of velcro on one lens of your glasses, then the cap could pop on there ,and serve a dual purpose, doubling up as a sun shade!!!!!!

Go on....beat that!

Alastair Brown February 22nd, 2007 06:01 AM

I got a couple of Generic non OEM BP-945's off of E-Bay.

They are actually higher capacity than the old ones I first tried, but are physically smaller. The old ones totally filled the available cavity. The new ones leave a gap of approx 1cm at the top, and slide in and out without issues. They measure 71 X 38 X 58.00MM and are 7.2v and 6600mAh capacity.

Pascal Napo February 22nd, 2007 11:18 AM

Hi everyone,

Just bought the XHA1 (amazing camera, very pleased with it btw) after several years using the GL2 (XM2). Same thing here, I had a non canon 941 battery with it which did not fit my XHA1. I almost stick it and began to freak out ! The size is 2 millimeters lager than the battery compartment. Too bad it doesn't make it !

Pascal

Barry Richard February 22nd, 2007 11:42 AM

I have a generic 970 (power2000 I think) that I got on ebay for about $70

It completely fills the XHA1's battery well, yet slides in and out freely

(I\'d heard about batteries becoming jammed before getting it, so I was concerned --- but its worked out.

I can only hope it still will be ok if the battery becomes hot and expands.

It would have been better if the XHA1 had used a rear external battery latch like Sony has, its a MUCH better and simpler design

Alan Craig February 25th, 2007 02:18 AM

oversize batteries

I have two non canon BP941 Batts that would not fit A1 . Got round the problem by carefully sanding down the two long sides top and the two radius\'s they now slide in and out perfectly. So if youv\'e got the bottle its one solution. if you do try it be patient and sand the sides evenly.

Chris Hurd February 25th, 2007 02:27 AM

Thanks Alan... but those 941\'s are antiques, practically... do they still hold a charge for you?

Those go way back, to the original XL1 days. Welcome to DV Info Net,

Alan Craig March 4th, 2007 06:27 AM

Hello Chris I am glad to say that they do still hold a full charge and I like to get my money\'s worth out of anything I buy. I originally bougfht them for my XM2 I will of course be using new ones for my A1. The old ones are still good for backups setting camera up prior to event

Regards Alan