Q&A after a short hands-on - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old October 2nd, 2006, 08:00 AM   #31
Obstreperous Rex

Sorry about that Marty but you asked me and I was honest with you. I would never recommend an H1 to an enthusiast. My own point of view has always been that this gear should pay for itself quickly, otherwise you're eating it on depreciation. In your particular situation, if you don't see your H1 paying for itself within six months then I think you should sell it as soon as possible.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2006, 08:15 AM   #32
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Jenkins
One basic question, do you like the camera? Do you feel like it lives up to our expectations?
You're asking me, the guy who started the XL1 Watchdog? Sorry, I ain't going anywhere near this question.

Old October 2nd, 2006, 08:17 AM   #33
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Strongfield
can the image on the lcd be flipped ?? m35 adapter user here :)
Good question. I'm not sure but I doubt it. At any rate I'll know more about the XH cams this week and will try to remember to follow up on this when I know for sure.

Old October 2nd, 2006, 08:27 AM   #34
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floris van Eck
... the information about the LCD, but I was actually referring to the electronic viewfinder (so where you put your eye against). Can you tilt it up like, if so, what is the angle of movement?
Okay, when you first said "LCD," I automatically assumed you meant the flip-out LCD. You are referring instead to the color viewfinder. Yes I know there's an LCD panel in there too but to avoid confusion with the flip-out LCD, this viewfinder is usually referred to as the EVF or CVF (electronic or color viewfinder). Canon refers to it as the CVF. For example in the display menu you can toggle LCD + CVF on, and have both running at the same time.
Anyway yes the CVF will tilt up about 45 degrees or so but it does not tilt down.

Quote:
Would you buy this camera if you were going to buy a HD camera in the 3000 - 5000 price category?
In all honesty, I think anybody who doesn't prefer a particular brand will have a difficult time choosing between the Canon XH A1 and the Sony V1U. This situation will only become more complicated if JVC and/or Panasonic announce something similar in this price range before the end of the year.

Old October 2nd, 2006, 08:28 AM   #35
Trustee

Chris,
I appreciate the honesty but all I am saying is that in my situation I have owned several cameras and never had them pay for themselves in six months. I paid almost $5k form my xl1 and used it for 4 years. I probably only actually made $10K-$12k in that time from it. But I sure used it for other projects that I had an artistic interest in in that time. When I sold it I still got
almost $3k for it. So I ultimately made money with it but not to the extent of paying for itself in 6 months. Same for my DVX and XL2. Paid for themselves by doing side jobs (albeit not in 6 months) and then came in awful handy for my own artisitc projects. I still got a good amount of cash for these when I sold them also.

The H1 is a different story though. It took me into a different price range altogether. So that puts more doubt in my mind. The A1 is actually in a lower price class than most cameras I have ever bought...and there is the appeal.
Still, I doubt I will make back the cost of that camera in 6 months. I'm not saying that I can't make that amount of money in a 6 month span usually, it's just simply that I didn't schedule much work because I was moving and that combined with a new area to do business has things very slow right now.

So let me ask this as you said you would never recommend the H1 to an enthusiast ( although I shouldn't call myself that as I do make at least additional $5000-$6000 a year using the equipment). What camera would you recommend? How do you determine what camera is right for someone who primarily uses the camera for their own projects that are not necessarily money making ventures yet does do enough work to offset the cost of the camera in the first place?

This is all an honest dialogue and not sarcasm by the way. I am just trying to figure the best options for me.

Peace!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Sorry about that Marty but you asked me and I was honest with you. I would never recommend an H1 to an enthusiast. My own point of view has always been that this gear should pay for itself quickly, otherwise you're eating it on depreciation. In your particular situation, if you don't see your H1 paying for itself within six months then I think you should sell it as soon as possible.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2006, 08:40 AM   #36
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Hudzik
How do you determine what camera is right for someone who primarily uses the camera for their own projects that are not necessarily money making ventures yet does do enough work to offset the cost of the camera in the first place?
Hi Marty, my answer to that is not sarcasm either, just being honest: the right one is whatever you feel you can easily afford without complaining about how much money you've laid out. For example a friend of mine in Chicago owns just about every Canon digital SLR they make, including the $9,000 EOS-1DS Mark II, and tens of thousands of dollars worth of lenses. And he's just a hobbyist, and he'll never do it for a living. But this is somebody who retired young and lives in a high-rise on Michigan Avenue. In other words, he bought what he can easily afford. If buying into a certain price range has put doubt into your mind, then my sincere advice, if you want it, is to sell immediately.

Old October 2nd, 2006, 08:41 AM   #37
Inner Circle

Marty, maybe the best thing you could do (my opinion) is sell your H1, if it isn't used much you sure could get around 7k for it, and then buy the A1 for 4k, and you'll have 3k extra :-).
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2006, 08:54 AM   #38
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathieu Ghekiere
Marty, maybe the best thing you could do (my opinion) is sell your H1, if it isn't used much you sure could get around 7k for it, and then buy the A1 for 4k, and you'll have 3k extra :-).
That is exactly what I am contemplating doing. :)

My camera is now 3.5 months old. I have shot about 6 tapes worth of material in the camera and captured them one time also. So about 12 hours on the heads. I am completely happy with it other than the extra debt on one of my credit cards. If Canon hadn't introduced the A1 I would probably still be happy with it. I felt as though I had a camera that produced the best image without shelling out $50k+ for higher end cameras. So when you pay $9k and get image quality near $50k+ cameras you can justify the added expense. Then 3 weeks later you can pay $4k and get the same or better qulaity image as that same $9k you just spent.....and that still competes with some $50K+ cameras.......you can see the confusion I have. And I could be debt free.

The last step is does the A1 really deliver the goods? If I sell the H1 and then the A1 turns out to not create same quality footage then I would be upset. So........anyone interested in buying a lightly used H1??? I will be pairing it with the 16x manual lens too......so it will be a good bargain.

Peace!
Old October 2nd, 2006, 08:58 AM   #39
Trustee

Quote:
Hi Marty, my answer to that is not sarcasm either, just being honest:
I know you weren't being sarcastic. I just know in text things can easily be misconstrued and I wanted to be clear that "I" wasn't being sarcastic.

Peace!
Old October 2nd, 2006, 09:37 AM   #40
Trustee

OK. I have a few questions now.

1. Have you heard anything about the Wide angle adapter for this camera?
2. Overall do you feel the LCD is an improvement over the H1 LCD? Does it seem any easier to tell focus with?
3. Does the add-on mic clip come off like on the Pannys or is it permanent? I'll never use it as the on-board mic is usually sufficient except for when doing narrative work...and then I'll use an external mic on a boom.

Thanks!

Last edited by Marty Hudzik; October 2nd, 2006 at 10:13 AM.
Old October 2nd, 2006, 11:08 AM   #41
Inner Circle

Quote:
The last step is does the A1 really deliver the goods? If I sell the H1 and then the A1 turns out to not create same quality footage then I would be upset. So........anyone interested in buying a lightly used H1??? I will be pairing it with the 16x manual lens too......so it will be a good bargain.

Peace!
The image quality should be roughly the same thing, according to the CCD specs. Look at the similarity in image quality between a GL2 and an XL1s for example, and there there is even a CCD difference.
And with the XH models you get a manual iris ring!
Of course no one can say FOR SURE at this moment - exept if there are already reviews on the net, I don't know - how the image quality compares.

The thing that you should ask yourself in this situation is: what does the XL H1 had that the XH A1 doesn't have that I need?
And if you can't really answer that question, go to our PRivate Classifieds board here and sell the H1 :-)
I hope - and really believe - you'll have no trouble finding a buyer with a camera so slightly used.

Best regards,
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2006, 11:43 AM   #42
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Have you heard anything about the Wide angle adapter for this camera?
I have heard that it is a 0.8x which kicks the wide angle out to 26mm (speaking in 35mm still photography terms), that when it's mounted you'll lose the Instant AF feature but still retain Normal AF, and that its price is still to be determined.

Quote:
Overall do you feel the LCD is an improvement over the H1 LCD? Does it seem any easier to tell focus with?
To me it seems to be an improvement over the H1. Although you wouldn't think so just by comparing specs, as the H1 has a 2.4" screen with 215k pixels and the XH has a 2.8" screen with 207k pixels. I think the reason why I perceive the XH to have a better display is due to the eye relief involved... when I look at the XH display, it's farther away from my eye than the XL and therefore the individual pixels aren't jumping out at me so much.

Quote:
Does the add-on mic clip come off like on the Pannys or is it permanent?
Previously answered elsewhere on this board, but yes it is removeable. See attached pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Q&A after a short hands-on-mic-clamp.jpg  

Old October 2nd, 2006, 01:37 PM   #43
Trustee

Quote:
I have heard that it is a 0.8x which kicks the wide angle out to 26mm (speaking in 35mm still photography terms), that when it's mounted you'll lose the Instant AF feature but still retain Normal AF, and that its price is still to be determined.
Glad I asked on that! Losing the Instant AF could be bummer. Having used the CO .8x on the H1 it is not very big. I didn't think it would obstruct the Instant Auto focus on the A1 but it must....or Canon's Wide adapter is larger.
I figured Canon would engineer theirs so that it still worked with the Instant AF. I guess now we just need to wait on a price.

Thanks
Old October 2nd, 2006, 01:46 PM   #44
Contributor

The A1's lens is about a 32.5mm (in 35mm terms), so use of a wide angle adapter would not be so frequent, for me anyway.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2006, 02:01 PM   #45
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor
The A1's lens is about a 32.5mm (in 35mm terms), so use of a wide angle adapter would not be so frequent, for me anyway.
You are absolutely correct. There would not be as much of a need for it. However the thought of getting a wider angle in the ballpark of the new H1 wide lens is what seems appealing. Just checking my options if I decide to go with the A1.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders