Q&A after a short hands-on - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old October 1st, 2006, 08:11 AM   #16
Major Player

I get that all the time with my old SD XL2 (old... ha ha ha)

Appearance is a huge deal, but I think the XH cams will look awsome with a shoulder support, rail system and mattebox (maybe a follow focus) and then, of course, my Redrock M2

Which leads me to my question...

Chris, how do you percieve this camera will work with the Redrock M2? The max aperture zoomed seems smaller than my XL2, so the image will be darker I assume. Does the lens zoom in far enough read a 36x24mm frame off the GG, and will the lens focus close enough with the use of a spacer tube?

I don't know ify ou have an M2, so I think you're best guess will do until I have some empirical evidence.

Matt
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2006, 01:25 PM   #17
Obstreperous Rex

Sorry, I have zero / nada / zilch experience with any of those adapters.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2006, 02:03 PM   #18
Contributor

Hey, Chris, does the viewfinder and/or LCD screen do underscan or do they crop like the other Canons?
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2006, 02:11 PM   #19
Obstreperous Rex

Good question Bill. I should be able to provide a correct answer by Wednesday night, but my money is on the cropping, just like all the other Canons.

Old October 1st, 2006, 02:11 PM   #20
Major Player

Well, what is the minimum focus distance when zoomed in about 3/4 of the way? f it can focus within about 4" should be okay.

I would figured somewhere alng the way you would handled one. Oh well . thanks anyway :)
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2006, 03:28 PM   #21
Major Player

Chris, how is the handling? Is the build quality solid, are you able to hold it comfortably? And do you think it will make a good combination with the Spider Brace 2, which I already own?

Finally, you mentioned something about the electronic viewfinder tilt. From what I understood from you answer, it does tilt up as well as down? From the pictures, it looks like it can only be tilted upwards...

Finally, can it take 72mm filters with the lens hood attached?

I am not sure if you have read about the Sony V1, but am I right that the Canon XH-A1 gives you much control over the image especially through buttons on the exterior of the camera (so mechanically, not through menus)?
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2006, 04:42 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Dear Chris,

Can an HDV tape be duplicated from an XL H1 to an XH?

Will the timecode be recreated as it always was during a dub from an XL1s to another XL1s?

If duplicating a tape from an XL H1 to an XH G1, can you use the timecode out to timecode in, in order to obtain a dup with the exact same timecode?
Old October 1st, 2006, 07:33 PM   #23
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Nayman
Well, what is the minimum focus distance when zoomed in about 3/4 of the way?
Unknown. I checked only to see that it has a built-in macro mode, which it does... capable of getting focus on objects placed right up to the front objective (with the lens hood off) when zoomed out to full wide.

Old October 1st, 2006, 07:46 PM   #24
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floris van Eck
Is the build quality solid, are you able to hold it comfortably? And do you think it will make a good combination with the Spider Brace 2?
The build quality is solid, I am able to hold it comfortably as long as I'm using both hands, which I tend to do with any video camera. It should work just fine with the Spider Brace 2.

Quote:
electronic viewfinder tilt. From what I understood from you answer, it does tilt up as well as down? From the pictures, it looks like it can only be tilted upwards
Note how the LCD panel is stored on the XH series... it rests on the top of camera body, below the top handle. When you release the panel and rotate it out sideways to open it, at this point it's already pointing straight down. From this position, you have to twist it 90 degrees in order to properly position it for normal usage. And from there you can twist it 180 more degrees so that it's facing forward. Hope that's clear.

Quote:
Finally, can it take 72mm filters with the lens hood attached?
Untested as I had no filters on hand, but I don't see why not.

Quote:
am I right that the Canon XH-A1 gives you much control over the image especially through buttons on the exterior of the camera (so mechanically, not through menus)?
I'm not as familiar with what external controls are present or lacking on the Sony V1. I can tell you that the XH has an iris ring on the lens while the V1 has a smaller iris control wheel set into the body. Please review the photos of the V1 and XH camera bodies and that will give you an excellent indication as to which mechanical controls each one has.

Old October 1st, 2006, 07:48 PM   #25
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton
If duplicating a tape from an XL H1 to an XH G1, can you use the timecode out to timecode in, in order to obtain a dup with the exact same timecode?
I'm sorry Dan, I can't answer any of these questions as I did not dub a tape from the XL to XH during the time that I had access to the cameras.

Old October 1st, 2006, 09:43 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Chris,

can the image on the lcd be flipped ?? m35 adapter user here :)
Jason Strongfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2006, 11:06 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Thanks Chris for all the touchy-feely info. One basic question, do you like the camera? Do you feel like it lives up to our expectations?
Jack Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2006, 01:26 AM   #28
Major Player

Chris, thansk for the information about the LCD, but I was actually referring to the electronic viewfinder (so where you put your eye against). Can you tilt it up like, if so, what is the angle of movement?

Like asked above, what is your overall impression? Would you buy this camera if you were going to buy a HD camera in the 3000 - 5000 price category?
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2006, 02:12 AM   #29
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Jenkins
Thanks Chris for all the touchy-feely info. One basic question, do you like the camera? Do you feel like it lives up to our expectations?

would love to know this also. =P
Dean Digamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2006, 07:37 AM   #30
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
If the XL H1 doesn't pay for itself within 180 days tops, then you should consider getting rid of it. Hope this helps,
That seems a bit extreme now doesn't it? I realize that as a general rule that might be okay for full time pros, but for enthusiasts that want these cameras and do side work to help "subsidize" the cost, that statement can't always hold true. I do independent films and music videos often just because I enjoy the artform and I make no money from them. My cameras have always been tools to help me achieve this. I do additional paying jobs to help offset the cost of the equipment but I don't think I have ever made back the money I spent on any camera in 180 days.

Personally I shoot 3-4 weddings a year and shoot professionally at my job 3-4 times a year (I get my regular paycheck for these gigs, but they rent the camera from me at $200 a day). So currently I do not make my living shooting (my fulltime job is an editor and animator of broadcast style graphics). I supplement my income and offset the costs of owning great camera equipment to allow me to shoot independent projects to fulfull my own creative needs.

I understand the value of the XLH1's looks....it does look professional. And that is a big reason that the company I work for rents it from me. They don't really even understand it's technical merits. They just assume it is going to produce a much better picture than a small camera.

I am still on the fence. As I have alluded to before, I just bought the H1 3 weeks before the A1-G1 were announced. I weighed the pros and cons of the available cameras and what sold me on the H1 was the image it produced. I couldn't really affford it without breaking the bank. But I knew that if I wanted "that" image quality I would have to pay "that" price. So I sold my HVX and P2 cards and for about 2k more I had an H1. And now I find that I could have sold my HVX and saved 2k instead and gotten the same image quality.......mama mia!

Add to my dilema I just moved to Canton, Ohio area and I lost a lot of my repeat business where I lived before so my extra paying jobs are down right now while I get acclimated to this new area. Hopefully business will pick up. I guess that is a big part of my considering switiching to the A1. If business was booming I wouldn't be so concerned. Heck....I'd probably buy one to compliment my H1 instead.

Oh well......enough of my blabbering. Thanks for all the pics and info Chris......I'll go ponder my future quietly now.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders