Custom Presets Download Library Feedback - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old December 6th, 2006, 07:20 AM   #16
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel Evans
You should be able to just pop it into a SD card reader, drop it into a USB port...
Noel and Richard are right, of course... all you need in order to transfer these preset files to your camcorder is an SD card reader. Sure, you could use Console, but you don't have to do it that way. If you don't already have an SD card reader, you can pick one up at any office supply store or big-chain discount store for less than $20. Just make sure to create a PRESET folder (use all caps) in the root directory of the card and put the CPF files in that folder. An SD card is included with the camcorder.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 07:58 AM   #17
Regular Crew

I have done this, yet my A1 will only cycle through the 9 camera presets. I thought it would automatically continue through the presets on the card. Any suggestions as to what I am missing?
Pat Sipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 08:05 AM   #18
Obstreperous Rex

Pat, you're certain that you have a top-level folder called PRESET on the card?

(And *not* called Preset, preset or PRESETS)

Also -- have you downloaded the new XH-specific versions of the CPF files? The XL versions will not work!

Old December 6th, 2006, 08:14 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Ahh...I thought you had solved the problem Chris, as I did indeed have it named PRESETS. But I renamed the folder and still no go. I cycle through 1-9 and then it goes to CP Off. It is the only folder I have on the card.
Old December 6th, 2006, 08:24 AM   #20
Regular Crew

OK, it is working now. Apparently just renaming the folder did not reset it. I deleted the folder and then reinstalled the new folder and all is well. Thanks for the help!
Old December 6th, 2006, 11:01 AM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Huh? Where are you seeing Video C, Cine V and Cine C, Rafael?
Hehehe. Sorry about that, Chris. I just alienated the entire forum. Video C, Cine V and Cine C are some of the presets that ALREADY come with the camera.
Rafael Lopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 11:04 AM   #22
Obstreperous Rex

Oh! You know I haven't even looked at those yet. Why don't you start a new discussion about them? I think they're important enough to have their own thread.

Old December 6th, 2006, 11:39 AM   #23
Trustee

I'll do that!

I just spent about 2 or 3 hours testing the presets you posted under different indoor lightning circumstances. I'm going to edit it and try to post some footage or grabs today.
Rafael Lopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 11:49 AM   #24
Major Player

I did my "tweaking" to the Cine V preset. Now that Chris has posting up those A1 presets (dude doesn't sleep!) I'll reset that and try some of these out. If you want good support for a camera, just make sure you buy whatever Chris has :-)

Now we just need a function preset and display preset library!

Thanks for taking the time to put the presets together Chris. What was required to convert them from the XL versions?
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2006, 05:31 AM   #25
Major Player

Chris, if the A1 can load a preset based on meta data stored in a still, I'm wondering if the stills can be labeled so you could just load in the preset based on the still? In other words, instead of a preset, I'm wondering if we could share the stills? If the meta data can be preserved, that means you could superimpose text in post with a description of the preset, and then load it back onto the cam ??
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2006, 10:03 AM   #26
Obstreperous Rex

Dennis -- the camera can record to the SD card a still image, along with a separate text file with the CP data, and a separate file which is the actual CPF file itself. I'm out of the office at the moment but will post an example later tonight.

Old December 8th, 2006, 01:07 AM   #27
Obstreperous Rex

As promised, here's what you get when you have the camera in tape mode and you choose to record a still image with CP data to the memory card. Attached is a sample image (DSC Labs CamBelles again) plus the accompanying CPF preset file and a text file that describes the preset. As you can see by glancing at the .TXT file, I used Steven Dempsey's "Panalook" custom preset.

So to answer your question, probably the best way to trade preset files back and forth using these images is to include all three components, that is the .JPG image file, the .CPF custom preset file and the .TXT text description file.
Attached Thumbnails
Custom Presets Download Library Feedback-img_6979.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: cpf IMG_6979.CPF (40 Bytes, 406 views)
File Type: txt IMG_6979.TXT (537 Bytes, 410 views)

Old December 11th, 2006, 06:01 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Hi Chris

On page 76 the manual states that the "preset files" are not compatible with the XL H1's custom preset files.

It sounds like what they are trying to state, is that the presets from the XL H1 will work on the XH A1 but the XH A1's presets won't work (entirely?) on the XL H1.

Also, these settings "all" only work when going to tape. Some settings such as NR1, NR2 and color matrix won't work when going direct to a hard drive.

Could you help clarify all this?
John Huling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2006, 08:03 AM   #29
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Huling
On page 76 the manual states that the "preset files" are not compatible with the XL H1's custom preset files. It sounds like what they are trying to state, is that the presets from the XL H1 will work on the XH A1 but the XH A1's presets won't work (entirely?) on the XL H1.
Hi John,

What they're trying to state is that the presets from the XL H1 won't load at all in the XH series and vice versa. The actual files themselves are compatble only with their respective cameras, i.e., downloadable .CPF files written for the XH A1 or G1 won't work in an XL H1, nor will downloadable .CPF files written for the XL H1 work in an XH A1 or G1. I was able to adapt the .CPF files in our XL H1 Custom Presets download library only by hard-entering the settings for each preset into an A1, using the camera's save to card function to actually generate the new XH-compatible .CPF file. Some notes on how I translated the older XL scale of adjustment for some presets into the expanded XH scale are detailed in this thread.

Quote:
Also, these settings "all" only work when going to tape. Some settings such as NR1, NR2 and color matrix won't work when going direct to a hard drive. Could you help clarify all this?
Sure. Anything that can be written to tape will indeed work also when going direct to a hard drive. The reason for the distinction about what will work when going to tape lies in the fact that there are two separate image processors on the camera. One processor manages images intended for video and processes them in the video color space while the other processor manages images intended for still photography and processes them in the still photography color space (the XH and XL camcorders can function as a two-megapixel still photo camera if desired). There's a slide switch on the camera with icons labeling the two settings as "card" and "tape." When shooting in card mode in the still photography color space, not all of the Custom Preset control parameters are available for adjustment such as NR1, NR2 and color matrix as you've noted.

The nice thing about the XL and XH cameras is that you can enjoy the best of both worlds thanks to a feature called Still Image Recording. When this option is selected (via the Custom Function menu in the XH camcorders), you can record still images to the SD memory card even though the card vs. tape selector switch is in tape mode. These still images are processed in the video color space, and therefore you retain full availability of all the Custom Preset control parameters. If you want, you can also record the current Custom Preset setting as a .CPF file that has the same file number written to the memory card as the accompanying image that goes with it (see my post just above yours for an example).

If you shoot the same composition once in card mode and again in tape mode with Still Image Recording on, you'll have two still images that you can compare side by side to see the differences between the separate image processing regimes. Basically, card mode optimizes images for hard-copy printing while tape mode optimizes images for display on video monitors.

As long as the camera is in tape mode, all of the Custom Preset control parameters are available even if there's no tape in the camera and you're recording directly a hard drive. Hope this helps,

Old December 11th, 2006, 08:31 AM   #30
Regular Crew

Wow Chris Thanks for the info. I did find your other thread right after I posted. Great explanation. Thanks.
John Huling is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders