XL2 owners - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old September 22nd, 2004, 08:56 AM   #76
Regular Crew

It's not burned anywhere, just in the viewfinder.
Old September 22nd, 2004, 05:23 PM   #77
Regular Crew

the final footage shows no flicker at all... it's only on the LCD (when in 16:9 mode)
Kevin Chao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2005, 07:22 PM   #78
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wheeler
Don,

Straight out of the box, brightly lit living room, lens cap off, turned the camera on, flipped it to 16:9 ..and looked through the VF ...the very first thing I saw/noticed was obvious strobbing/flickering in the VF, which does become more apparent when viewed at an angle. Now I don't know where other people come from, and it hasnt been proven yet whether it's a defect or not, but when I lay down $5,000, I dont care how small it is, if it's a defect, I'm going to be frustrated and concerned about how/if I can get it corrected.

j.
Hi Don. I have had my XL2 for nearly a year, and must admit I had never noticed this flickering. However, since this thread intrigued me, I took out the camera, switched it on and then set it to 16:9. Yes the flickering was there on the top black bar, just as you said. However, for me I found it not distracting enough to disturb my shooting.

I also noticed that when you point the EVF down slightly, the flickering goes away. Changing the angle slowly (up then down) makes the effect come and go quite smoothly, and my conclusion is that this is just the normal angle-of-view variation that you get with any LCD panel (in this case, it is probably leakage of the backlight through the area that is supposed to be black).

Of course. I have no way of knowing whether the effect that you are seeing is more extreme than on my camera, but if it is similar, i.e. does not distract you from using the camera to shoot, then I would not worry about it at all.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2005, 10:36 AM   #79
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Matwiy

Some widescreen TVs have the ability to sense 16x9 material and automatically switch into 16x9 mode. Some 4x3 sets can do this as well by collapsing the raster to preserve vertical detail. This auto-sensing feature is not available on composite video inputs. I suspect it is looking for a flag in the vertical interval which is filtered out by the notch or comb filters found in most chroma decoders.

Paul
This is actually done with a DC offset on the S video chroma signal. 0 VDC ~ 4:3; 2.5 VDC ~ letterbox; 5 VDC ~ 16:9 widescreen.
A. J. deLange is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders