XL2 owners - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old September 15th, 2004, 03:46 PM   #46
Wrangler

Yep, mine has it too. I don't even have to flip open the vf. I can see it in the normal lid closed position. Just like eveyone else, it's not really noticable when you view straight on, but if you look upward, it's visible but NOT THAT DISTRACTING, to me anyway.

I'm loving the hell out of this camera right now. It's staying!

regards,

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2004, 06:42 PM   #47
Regular Crew

it doesn't bother me... aaron do you even have and XL2??? this and the hiss on the sony are two complete different problems... this flickering thing is only cosmetic... it does not show on the recording... and it's only noticable when viewed at an extreme angle... you're comparing this to the Hiss problem??? wow...
Kevin Chao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2004, 07:43 PM   #48
Trustee

Kevin, of course I don't think they're the same level of severity - I was drawing a long bow. But the logic still stands.

If you have noticed something about your camera that you don't like, and there are others that have it, does that make it acceptable - I don't think it follows at all that it does. That's what I was meaning.

Aaron
Old September 15th, 2004, 07:55 PM   #49
Trustee

But Aaron.... It seems like this thing is somewhat elusive in nature...I'm not sure you could really call it a defect if noone can see it until you tell them to stand on their heads, smoke a joint and then to cross their eyes while rotating the damn thing exactly 120 degrees forward....I mean who would look at a LCD at a 120 degree angle in the first place...you can't see anything but a Man Ray solarization of your image from there anyway.

I still can't see it...if the canon guys are saying this is a feature, not a defect...then dammit...my camera is defective...its lacking...impotent...I'm not sure I can go on.

Don't make me cuss anymore..please.

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2004, 09:29 PM   #50
Trustee

Haha Barry - Yeah you better send yours back in to get the feature added ;)

I wasn't making a big deal of it, so sorry if people though I was, I just don't like it when some service guy will go "Well the other cameras we tried does it." Cause that doesn't solve the fact that it's still there :)

Aaron
Old September 15th, 2004, 10:13 PM   #51
Wrangler

I've found something that bugs me more. I can see a faint reflection of the EVF info upside down and inverted when looking into it. Can easily see it with the lense cap on. However, I tend to remove the lense cap when shooting video so I guess I can live with it.

Does anyone else see this?

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2004, 11:38 AM   #52
Regular Crew

barry... that was the best...
Kevin Chao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2004, 01:45 PM   #53
Regular Crew

Yo Kevin post some footage bro.
Paul Pelalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2004, 05:22 PM   #54
Major Player

This is sort if in the absurd line of "how does it compare to the DVX at +18 gain". Ah, what knucklehead would shoot anything of remote value at 18db or 12 db.....
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2004, 11:18 AM   #55
Regular Crew

My XL2 arrived and it seems it is not out-of-the-box ready to use.
It definitely requires some set-up in the color dept.
Unfortunately I was only able to assemble it last night and shoot around the house in Low-ish light to start to play with it. In easy "green box" mode, the picture was quite noisy, especially in the browns to blacks.
I put it in manual, opened up wide and slowed the shutter (alot) and that certainly helped to clean up the picture.

You people who have had the camera for a few days now, what kinds of settings are you regularly tweaking?

Are you having to up the color gain?

In cine gamma, did you find it tends toward the reds a little heavily?
Old September 17th, 2004, 12:22 PM   #56
Major Player

Quote:
In cine gamma, did you find it tends toward the reds a little heavily?
That would fit well with Canon's history with the XL1.

What would you estimate the lux levels were at when you shot footage? I don't think "Green box" mode is a great idea as I am sure it ups the gain a crapload more than you would want.
Aaron Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2004, 01:07 PM   #57
Regular Crew

Aaron,

I would be guessing (and probably get it way wrong) in guessing the lux level in my living room last night, so I won't. (I wish I could for my own knowledge-I need a little more experience in that dept.)

You are correct about "green box" easy mode. I think this was added purely for in-store demos or something. To shoot with no exposure control seems silly to me.

I can't wait to take it out this weekend and see how it fares under different lighting conditions.

I will also try to learn a little more about determining light levels.
Old September 17th, 2004, 03:38 PM   #58
Major Player

Yeah I think you're probably right about green box mode being for in store demos etc. That and perhaps run and gun situations?

Let us know how your tests go! I'm interested in hearing some more results :)
Aaron Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2004, 03:59 PM   #59
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

"Green Box" (fully automatic "daddy-cam") mode has been on every Canon video camera I've owned (and that's quite a few!) as well as on many of their still cameras (which is where this feature derived). It has, indeed, seemed incongruous on XL bodies. But there are folks who buy these cameras for use in unattended or remote applications where its exposure settings cannot be directly controlled. Green box is just about the only way to get variable exposure in that setting.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2004, 12:16 PM   #60
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Paul Pelalas : Yo Kevin post some footage bro. -->>>

i got some footage from a fashion trade show that i was djing at last week but haven't imported it yet (30p, 4:3)...and when i was chllin in the hotel on the 11th floor, there was fireworks going off by the beach i was fortunate enough to capture (24p, 16:9)... i'll try and get that up but i have a project that needs to be done in two weeks so i'm pressin on that right now...

btw... what compression or if any, should i use for streaming or uploading... not so savvy in that department...
Kevin Chao is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders