XL2 owners - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old September 14th, 2004, 07:55 PM   #31
New Boot

okay It definately still flickers

"F" IT, IM KEEPIN IT

ill just pretend its supost too...
Matt McDermitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2004, 08:09 PM   #32
Trustee

Matt

I'd still try to schedule some time where you can send it into canon...it looks like there are more than just you out there with this problem, my guess is that they might just switch out the EVF completely (not that I know)...Join the XL club...the turn around on cameras is usually about 10 days...until then...have fun with it.

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2004, 08:28 PM   #33

Well, I currently have three XL2 cams here with me for ResFest 2004 and none of them are exhibiting the flickering which you are describing.

Matt, I just realized that you live in Andover, Massachusetts. That is not too far from where I am (Boston)
If you have the time this coming week to pay me a visit with your XL2, I'll take a personal look at your XL2.

On Thursday, September 16 - I will be in downtown Boston for the September BOSFCPUG meeting (http://www.bosfcpug.org) at the Billy Bordy Theatre at Emerson College on 216 Tremont Street in the first floor theatre. Stop by if you can, I will be there from 7pm - 10pm.

From September 17-18 I will be at the Brattle Theatre in Harvard Square for RESFEST Boston 2004 (resfest.com). Send me an email if you would like to stop by during this time.

I'll be in NYC for IFP beginning on September 19, so if you have the time to bop by with your XL2 before then, send me an email and let me know.

Best regards,

- don
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Don Berube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2004, 09:01 PM   #34
Regular Crew

okay okay... here's the deal... i called canon also, and this is exactly what he said...."I can't see the flickering"... BUT... here's the good part... i live 15mins away from the canon service center, and imma bring it in tomorrow morning and have them take a look at it...

barry... as for the florecent theory, i was in a room with no light... not even daylight (i closed the blinds)... i'd figure the flickering will be harder to see in the daylight...

but for those non-believers...er non-see-er's?? here's the best way to see...

put it to 16:9 with the lense cap on (in a dark room preferrably)... you will still be able to see the letterbox bars... now tilt it to about 120degrees... you'll see the flickering... it's wasn't a big deal to me at first, i just thought it was like that... but now it's a f'n conspiricy... thank the thread starter guys... now i won't have my xl2 for a couple of days... jus playin...

p.s. how dope is the images yall getting from this piece... i've made my DVX fanboy friend a believer... and of course my sonyhead friend is still hatin on the XL2 though...
Kevin Chao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2004, 09:40 PM   #35

Kevin Chao writes:
>>>>>>>>"put it to 16:9 with the lense cap on (in a dark room preferrably)... you will still be able to see the letterbox bars... now tilt it to about 120degrees... you'll see the flickering... "

Seriously now, this is the only time you can see the flickering? When the lens cap is on and you tilt it 120 degrees? Come on now, how is that a problem? I followed your steps and tried to invoke the flickering in the EVF's of all three of the XL2 cams I currently have in my possession - couldn't see any flickering at all. I feel like I have been had...

>>>>>>>>"it's wasn't a big deal to me at first, i just thought it was like that... but now it's a f'n conspiricy... thank the thread starter guys... "

Really now.

>>>>>>>>"now i won't have my xl2 for a couple of days... jus playin... "

"Jus playin..." ??? There is going to be a point when people will have to stop obsessing and trying to find problems with their new purchases and start to look at the positives and actually get out there and start shooting something interesting. It's time to start moving forward and create something, you know?

- don
Old September 14th, 2004, 10:15 PM   #36
Regular Crew

Don,

Straight out of the box, brightly lit living room, lens cap off, turned the camera on, flipped it to 16:9 ..and looked through the VF ...the very first thing I saw/noticed was obvious strobbing/flickering in the VF, which does become more apparent when viewed at an angle. Now I don't know where other people come from, and it hasnt been proven yet whether it's a defect or not, but when I lay down $5,000, I dont care how small it is, if it's a defect, I'm going to be frustrated and concerned about how/if I can get it corrected.

j.
John Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2004, 10:21 PM   #37
Regular Crew

mine has zero flicker....sounds like you need to return it and move on.
Old September 14th, 2004, 10:30 PM   #38

John Wheeler writes:
>>>>>>>>"Straight out of the box, brightly lit living room, lens cap off, turned the camera on, flipped it to 16:9 ..and looked through the VF ...the very first thing I saw/noticed was obvious strobbing/flickering in the VF, which does become more apparent when viewed at an angle."

Hi John,

Of course, I can in no way corroborate that you do indeed have a tech issue, unless I see it in person - and that is not going to be possible since we live in opposite sides of the US. I do know that if I were able to personally look at your camera, I would be able to tell. My point is that it would seem the only way to determine if you have a problem is to let an authorized Canon technician look at it.

Best of luck,

- don
Old September 14th, 2004, 10:38 PM   #39
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Ya know, I don't own an XL2. So take my remarks with care.

But after reading through this "fickerin' " issue it seems that it's quite possibly a psycho-perceptual issue. That is, just as some people see computer monitors flicker at certain refresh rates others do not. It looks like there's some degree of noticeability with regard to the whether the camera's in progressive or interlaced mode, and the frame rate setting.

I have noticed a faint flicker in my DVX100A's lcd when the camera's in 24P under certain lighting conditions (but not the viewfinder).

One somewhat non-scientific test to this theory is to have a few (alcoholic) drinks, wait 30-45 min and then see if you can still see "flickerin'". (Don't drink so much that you can't even see your feet.)

If nothing else, even if you still see it it won't be as bothersome. Of course you might now have focus complaints.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2004, 11:36 PM   #40
Regular Crew

damn, I took your advice....had 4 stiff drinks, waited 40 minutes and now my camera is a "fickerin' "

I'm going to ship it back 1st thing in the morning.
Old September 15th, 2004, 12:01 AM   #41
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Yuh. I tried it myself an' now my durn XL1S is flickerin' ... an' it ain't even on.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2004, 02:01 AM   #42
Trustee

Ken your test doesn't work I had 5 drinks and I don't see anything... at all, in fact I'm typing this and I'm not sure I'm even hitting the right keys.

Your post was was hilarious, of course I really have been drinking so maybe in the mornign it'll be less funny.
Nick Hiltgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2004, 10:56 AM   #43
New Boot

Its a defect - I'm returning mine today - I called the store.

lata
Matt McDermitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2004, 01:34 PM   #44
Regular Crew

just got back from the CANON service center... at first the guy couldn't see it... of course i insisted that it's quite evident that it's there... upon closer observation... he saw it... he took it to the technician and compared with other xl2's and they all have the flicker... it's normal... don't sweat it thread starter... it's all to the good... for those that couldn't see it... yall probably didn't look hard enough... it's no big deal tho... this thread ends here...
Kevin Chao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2004, 02:35 PM   #45
Trustee

Just cause it's "normal" doesn't mean it shouldn't be fixed. By that reasoning you could have taken your PD150 into the service centre stating that there is an audible hiss, and when tested against the other PD150's been told it's normal.. Would you have settled for it?

If it annoys the hell out of you then get one that doesn't have this as some seem to not be showing this problem.

Aaron

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders