uncompressed options... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old January 5th, 2006, 07:54 AM   #1
Regular Crew

uncompressed options...

Hey All,

What are some options to capture uncompressed HD on the canon XL-H1? I know there is the Wafian ($15,000.00) option, but is there a deck you can hook into? Could you take a regular DV deck and run a feed to it, or even a digibeta?

Also, on the MiniDV built in... what is the best quality that it can capture?

Basically, are there any recording option that isnt going to cost 10 grand to get the best quality from the camera?
Bryon Akerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2006, 12:33 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Bryon,

To wit, there are NO uncompressed deck options, HD or SD, even approaching $50K. Wafian is compressed, albeit claimed to be visually lossless (which I'm inclined to believe), but it is NOT a tape deck. The only way to get uncompressed from this camera is to pipe it into a computer. On the Mac, I have a Kona LH card which can do this, but it requires a fast RAID and a cutting edge G5 to be happy.

I am configuring my computer system to be a little more production friendly, but it's never going to be as convenient as actually OWNING a good HD deck like the Panny 1200a.

You either have to be willing to be tethered to a computer, or spend a fortune on an overkill HD deck...to get uncompressed quality.

HDV on the H1 is plenty good.

Last edited by Barlow Elton; January 8th, 2006 at 02:49 AM.
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders