Color LCD viewfinder - Page 11 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old February 2nd, 2004, 09:13 AM   #151
Major Player

Cleaning the inside of a viewfinder???

Good morning guys,
I was shooting a "mock trial" at a courthouse and I accidentally smacked the crap out of my XL1s on one of those hard benches. After a deep breath I looked at my lens and (PHEEW!) it was okay. I started shooting again and noticed <i>something</i> had chunks of stuff on it so I wiped the lens but no change. Fortunately I had another XL1s handy so I grabbed it and finished the shoot. Later I noticed the small chunks (probably pieces of plastic) were there even on playback so that relieved me that it was not the lens....right? Of course I have already wiped the viewfinder glass on the outside with no change so I'm presuming it is on the inside of the viewfinder. Alright, alright, I'll get to the point!
My question: Are there any precautions I should know about before I try to disassemble the viewfinder or should I not even attempt it and send it in for repair?
TIA,
Randy
G. Randy Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2004, 04:35 PM   #152
RED Code Chef

The top part with the lens can be taken of pretty easily I think
and I've also done it myself. There is a release switch at the
underside of the viewfinder which you will need (and then rotate
the upper part??). Ofcourse no touching the LCD screen or
anything beyond that.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2004, 04:55 PM   #153
Major Player

Ahhh-ha!!!
The old hidden release button huh? Thanks, Rob I knew if I was patient enough someone would give me the advice I needed...BTW, it worked like a charm and clean as a whistle with no apparent damage.
Thanks again Rob,
Randy
G. Randy Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2004, 10:35 AM   #154
New Boot

Viewfinder change

Anybody here with any experience placing the Ikegami VF 15-46 on the Canon XLS1 ??? I hear it fits and I know the price is half the price of the Canon one with a better picture and of course easyer focussing.

Thanks for any tips or information

Meindert
Meindert Bosma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2004, 12:54 AM   #155
Obstreperous Rex

I'm wondering how you would get power to that EVF. Or for that matter get a video signal into it? It's a nonstandard connector on the XL1 / XL1S.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2004, 02:14 AM   #156
New Boot

Power

Hi

I know that there is a way to power the viewfinder external. I have an article about a Dutch TV series shot on XL1 using these modifications. You can find it at
http://www.abcdv.com/article/articleview/87/1/32/
I'm trying to locate the cameraman who shot this so I can do the same but hoped to finf here someone who had experience with this also. I know the viewfinder and at half the price of the Canon it may be worth it.
Meindert Bosma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2004, 03:34 AM   #157
Regular Crew

I'm working on an similar project. I try to use an old VF from an Sony Betacam (BVP70).

You need an service manual from the used VF and this document:
http://www.dvinfo.net/canon/articles/article29.php

I use the composite out of my XL-1 an an external battery. But I had a problem with my VF as the line-transformer stoped service. so I bought a new one, and now I'm on my way again.
Dietmar Zonewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2004, 10:25 PM   #158
Regular Crew

"run and gun shot" with "0.7” color LCD viewfinder?

Anyone advices / experiences on “run and gun shot” situations or “Guerilla” shot using XL-1s with 0.7” color LCD viewfinder without buying additional accessories * Standard set Xl-1s with MA200.

Here the Scenario “An interview with a famous artist surrounded & crowd with photographers, journalist, fans, etc… and you are behind of everyone and
The question is “Can I capture and see clearly thru my 0.7” color viewfinder with lift up the camcorders above my head?.

All Suggestion welcome. *
Old March 29th, 2004, 12:32 AM   #159
Trustee

I don't know if this would help but sometimes when I would shoot like that I'd do one of two things. 1) take the top of the viewfiner odd so that just the lcd is exposed or 2) leave the viewfinder together but set it to "far" mode, it really just depends on how much you like squinting.
Nick Hiltgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2004, 03:38 AM   #160
Inner Circle

Andrew...

There's a lever at the top of the viewfinder that allows you to see the whole LCD screen with extended eye relief -- or at a distance greater than usual.

It doesn't do much for focus or anything else except allow you to know that the subject is being framed properly.

Such "hail Mary" situations are difficult at best. But knowing that your subject is "in frame" is a big help when the alternative is not getting a shot at all.

Dean Sensui
Base Two Productions.
Dean Sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2004, 07:23 AM   #161
New Boot

xl1s viewfinder cable extension

I need to extend (8") the viewfinder cable on my canon XL1s PAL. Is it possible?
I searched on Google but didn't find anything.

On the cable that came with my xl1s the code is:

E66085 AWM STYLE 2990 80C VW-1SC Japan

Where do you think I can find such a cable?
Stefano Archetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2004, 12:17 PM   #162
Trustee

do you guys sweat profusely fogging up the viewfinder?

i just shot a wedding and when i was near the stage with the bright hot lights i sweat so much that it steamed up my viewfinder for a good straight 30min. anyone else experience this? other than cooling down, how do you cope with it?
Old June 14th, 2004, 12:38 PM   #163
Inner Circle

Couple of choices. Mainly, back off the viewfinder a bit, give the eyepiece some air, a chance to "breathe".

If you are using the color viewfinder, see if you can get a chamois eyepiece.

I prefer the B&W viewfinder. It's larger and sharper, allows you to "back off" and still see a large clear image.

Run a small external monitor. Couple of different brands available, do a search.

Good luck.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2004, 04:16 AM   #164
Major Player

Get in shape :)

Seriously, last year shooting weddings in August, in good sunny Portuguese weather with 32 to 35 degrees centigrade, in a small crowded chappel ,I was sweating like a pig. The sweat would run down my foread, eyebrows, eyelashes, the eyes. I had to remove my eyeglasses and wipe my face several times.

Since then I'm on a diet and exercise. It pays off. No more sweating and no more pains in the back. And now I can endure those long wedding shooting days, much much better.

But until you do that, what Richard said, aplies perfectly.

Best regards,
Arnaldo
Arnaldo Paixao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2004, 11:07 AM   #165
Major Player

I don't know if it will fit on your rubber eye cup, but a lot of pro shooters use a wrist sweat band to help control perspiration. You may have to bend back the rubber eye cup for a proper fit. Very low tech and inexpensive, and it works.
Wayne Orr is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog