Color LCD viewfinder - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old August 26th, 2003, 10:02 AM   #121
Contributor

Bad pixels in viewfinder

HELP!

I'm about to sell my XL-1, but have some missing pixel areas in the viewfinder. They look like 2-3 small white areas in the lower right area of the viewfinder screen. At most, they cover 3-4% of the entire viewfinder, but they are noticable. These are not in the CCDs - just the viewfinder. They're probably caused by sun exposure when I first got the XL-1.

Years ago when I bought the camera, Joe Bogacz of Canon told me they would replace defective viewfinders for no charge. I just never got around to it... the missing pixels didn't really bother me.

Does anyone know if Canon will still fix this problem? I've tried to contact Joe and others at Canon, but I can't get any return of my calls. The buyer of the camera is waiting, since I promised him I would get it fixed before shipping it to him.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Stuart
Stuart Brontman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2003, 12:38 PM   #122
Warden

I doubt they will fix it under warranty, but they might. Send it in and see what they say. Usually a certain number of dead pixels in the LCD are considered within manufacturing tolerance. Dead pixels in the CCD are usually covered with no problem if within the warranty period. I would just send it to Canon service with an explanation of the events and see what they say. Good luck.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2003, 05:28 PM   #123
Regular Crew

foggy viewfinder

The XL1 viewfinder looks too bright and whites out detail when viewing either new or recorded footage. The camera still plays back to TV etc without any noticeable anomalies.

The camera got damp when caught in a sudden storm a while back but after a spell in the airing cupboard all worked perfectly and nothing seemed amiss for the next month or more.

Ideas anyone?
Old September 13th, 2003, 06:00 PM   #124
Warden

Have you tried adjusting the brightness control, on the bottom of VF, behind the cover. I don't have my camera in front of me to double check the location. You'll see it.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old September 13th, 2003, 06:01 PM   #125
Wrangler

You can adjust the brightness of the viewfinder display if that is the issue. See page 67 of the NTSC manual.
Old September 14th, 2003, 08:46 AM   #126
Regular Crew

foggy viewfinder

Hi
The brightness is at its limit and, although it has improved it a little, the detail seen is not enough to allow manual focusing.

I've had the camera in use this afternoon - greens lean heavily toward yellow and I am pretty sure the picture worsened as time went by.

Red kites flying against a blue sky should have been easy but it could all have been white cloud fo all i could see of it.

Any further thoughts gratefully recieved.
Old September 14th, 2003, 09:44 AM   #127
Warden

The brightness is the only user adjustable control for the view finder. It sounds like it is time to send it back to Canon for service. Corrosion from getting it wet may have finally set in and caused your problems.

Old September 14th, 2003, 10:27 AM   #128
Regular Crew

foggy viewfinder

Many thanks for the suggestions.

Canon will now be my next step.
Cheers
Old September 14th, 2003, 04:56 PM   #129
New Boot

Red line on viewfinder and in video

Hi everyone. I'm new here and new to the XL1S. I've searched this forum for an answer to my problem but didn't find any solutions so I think my camera may be broken. It's brand new.

The problem is, in any mode except easy mode I'm getting a verticle red line through the viewfinder and it also appears on the tape when I make a video clip. However the line doesn't stay there all the time. It's only there when the background is white or light colored. Has anyone heard of this before and if so is there a solution to it.

Thanks for any suggestions, tips, and replies.

Sincerely,

Veance
Veance Serance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2003, 05:31 PM   #130
Warden

Can you post a picture of a scene with the red liine?

Old September 14th, 2003, 07:06 PM   #131
New Boot

You can view a couple of screenshots at http://www.msjanitorial.com/redline.htm
Old September 14th, 2003, 07:31 PM   #132
New Boot

I guess I should add that this only occures when the camera is set to 16:9 mode. Very peculiar. Sorry for the ommision.
Old September 14th, 2003, 07:36 PM   #133
Warden

Is the camera brand new? Have you tried another tape? I know many videographers that routinely run a cleaning tape in brand new cameras. They maintain that debris accumulates on the heads during shipping and storage. If your camera is new I would suggest using a cleaning tape (follow the instructions on the tape exactly as printed, do not deviate) and see if that helps. If not I would return the camera for service under warranty with still of the problem and the tape. It could be a problem with tape path alignment.

Old September 14th, 2003, 08:46 PM   #134
New Boot

Thanks for your replies Jeff, however I don't think it's a tape problem because I can see this line in the viewfinder itself whether or not a tape is present in the camera.

Yes it's a brand new camera too. Sigh.... I guess I'll have to send it in unless someone else has a solution. I'm thinking now that maybe it has something to do with white balance since it started occuring when I was fiddling around with the white balance settings.

Many thanks for taking the time to answer my question.

Veance
Old September 15th, 2003, 06:59 AM   #135
Warden

If it's in the camera, there are no user adjustable settings that would cause or remove the anomaly that you see.

Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog