Color LCD viewfinder - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old October 26th, 2002, 01:29 AM   #61
Trustee

There are two ways to do this. The "I have no idea/My camera is still under warantee" way or the "I'm good with the tools/My warantee has expired" way.

It first way is to get a rubber washer and make a cut in it. Split the washer and wrap it around the spindle/EVF mounting bolt.

The second way is to remove the EVF slide bracket and then the four screws that are in the end of the mounting bolt. Remove the mounting bolt being careful not to lose the locating pin and spring. Slip the washer opver the end of the bolt and put the whole thing back together.

Mine is done the second way and it works so much better than the after-thought piece of rubber that Canon used.

(USA clause)
If you decide on the second way, please take care, as I am not responsible for any ham-fisted operators or damage you may cause.
(/USA clause)
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2003, 12:36 AM   #62
Slash Rules!

Okay to adjust viewfinder brightness?

I was wondering if anyone out there has adjusted their viewfinder brightness (color viewfinder, that is) on the XL1s, by themselves. Bad idea? Called Canon awhile back about this, and they said it's not really something you're supposed to do at home.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2003, 01:01 AM   #63
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Probably a bad idea, Josh. In the case of the b&w viewfinder basic calibration to SMPTE bars is fairly essential to ensure that you're getting proper contrasts, etc. But in the case of the color LCD, tinkering with the brightness may be asking for self-deception when judging shot exposures.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2003, 01:07 AM   #64
Slash Rules!

I judge exposure by Zebra bars. The reason I want to tinker is because I've noticed that when viewing through a monitor or even a TV, the picture onscreen always looks a tad brighter than the color LCD. Also, in darker situations, it might help a bit. I'm more worried about screwing up my camera than screwing up my judgment. Hah hahah.
Old January 9th, 2003, 09:57 AM   #65
RED Code Chef

I agree with Josh, the viewfinder is a lot darker then the signal
it is actually recording! Thats one of the reason I'm going to
look into a professional (small) broadcast monitor to accompany
me.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2003, 12:32 PM   #66
Slash Rules!

So I am I risking great damage by tinkering with it? It doesn't seem that hard. . .but a while ago killed a Game Boy by screwing around with it.
Old January 9th, 2003, 01:23 PM   #67
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Great damage. Naw...nothing a few hundred dollars can't fix. Would it make you feel better if one of us tried it first?

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2003, 01:55 PM   #68
Slash Rules!

Darn tootin'! Of course, I did that thing where you attach a rubber grommet behind the wheel that adjusts the viewfinder position, and that worked out fine.
Old January 9th, 2003, 11:07 PM   #69
ChorizoSmells

I did that when I first got my XL-1. I shot a Butoh dance performance, the woman was painted all white, and in the viewfinder I had a nice contrast on her skin, but when I got home, it looked a little overexposed on the TV. So I thought it might be a too bright viewfinder.

I set up a video mixer and put some color bars on the tv, got the tv sort of balanced and looking good, then I turned on all the light in my living room, ran the living room footage on the tv while in camera mode, then I turned the screw for the brightness until the viewfinder and tv looked about the same. I didn't use studio lighting or a pro monitor, I should have done that. If you put a small mark with a colored marker to mark the position of the orginal setting of the screw, you can then turn it back to where it was, plus you need a reference point since the brightness adjustment screw isn't marked, I forgot which way is brighter or darker.

I've had my camera serviced a couple of times, don't know if they have adjusted the brightness to factory specs, I'm guessing they haven't because my footage is still coming out great.

My friend's xl-1s footage is running a little over exposed so we'll have to adjust his viewfinder as well, we did a two camera shoot of a fashion show and my footage came out well exposed but his came out a little over exposed, although in his viewfinder, he said it looked perfect.

If Canon doesn't want us to adjust the viewfinder ourselves, then they shouldn't have put the control for it out in the open like that. Adjusting it was a pretty simple decision for me, I don't do super critical work that has to be within broadcast specs, and if I did happen to screw up the camera, it's just a 15 min walk to the Canon service center and I can drop off the camera and get it put back together in a couple of days.

But in the end, if you don't feel comfortable adjusting it, then don't do it, you can figure out how much it needs to be adjusted for and then just underexpose all your shots by half a stop or whatever setting you come up with. And having an external monitor will solve all your problems.
Old January 10th, 2003, 01:18 AM   #70
Slash Rules!

Thanks. Like I said, I judge exposure with zebra bars. I make my image as bright (according to the bars) as possible without blowing out too much of it. A hot spot in the hair maybe okay, one that covers half a face, nah ah.
Old January 10th, 2003, 01:53 AM   #71
Regular Crew

I did it too. I'm getting ready to shoot at night, so I set up lights and played around. I had a nice dark, low key, night scene in my viewfinder and on my tv it came out very bright (more like day). . . I turned the brightness all the way up. It helped, but it's still darker in the viewfinder. My solution: separate monitor.
Jim Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2003, 02:01 AM   #72
Slash Rules!

Hey, wish I could get a monitor! I will likely soon be shooting a lot of spur of the moment stuff in darkly lit areas, where I'll be moving around with the camera. Having a monitor in these situations is not possible.
Old January 11th, 2003, 03:54 PM   #73
RED Code Chef

Or you should put the monitor inside a thing/place that can be
closed or around the corner or something through a cable.
Ofcourse that might need you to walk around, or get a camera
operator or video observer person....

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2003, 12:35 AM   #74
Slash Rules!

Took the plunge and adjusted the viewfinder brightness myself. No problems. . .picture is brighter. I didn't turn it very far, as I didn't want to push my luck. Also did not realize ahead of time that increasing brightness decreases contrast. Have I done myself more harm than good? Perhaps.
Old January 12th, 2003, 08:56 PM   #75
Wrangler

So Brightness = Brightmess.

FWIW: there are three additional internal adjustiments on the EVF; i.e., R-Brightness, B-Brightness and Contrast.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog