EF Lens adapter / EF Lenses / EOS Lens - Page 19 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old December 24th, 2003, 03:38 PM   #271
Regular Crew

Location: Augusta georgia 15min. from Aiken S.Carolina and 2 hours from Atlanta
ouch

i think i'll wait on the augus35 to develop into a more reliable tool.
Patrick Falls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2004, 09:41 AM   #272
Major Player

Canon EF (35mm) IS (Image Stabilisation)

I have verified with Canon Singapore that NOT all EF lenses with IS function will work with the XL1 EF adaptor. The lens will work as advertised - you have to use manual focusing, the camera controls the aperature. BUT, if you are thinking about using the IS feature, please double check the proposed lens you have in mind with Canon first ....

I know that the 75-300 EF IS does NOT work with XL1 EF adaptor (just the IS function only).

I am now asking Canon for a list of lenses that the EF IS is functional - still waiting.

TS
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2004, 12:49 AM   #273
Major Player

Just got the last word from Canon Singapore ... NO EF lens with IS function will work on the XL1 with EF adaptor. Be warned.
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2004, 01:03 AM   #274
New Boot

Canon EF to XL-1 Mount @ http://www.xl1solutions.com

hi-

i am curious if anyone has worked with the Canon EF to XL-1 Mount that is on www.xl1solutions.com. aside from my xl1s, i have a d60 and i love the idea of being able to use my ef lenses with the xl1s. i have been turned off by the 7.2x thing with the canon eos adapter, but the product on www.xl1solutions.com says:

"The good news is that you do not get a 7x effect, meaning if you have a 100mm lens it gives you 700mm. This adaptor is only 2x or 1.5x, all depends the lens, and therefore a 100mm lens is a 200mm lens."

can someone confirm this? has anyone worked with it? i have done searches on the forums, but i have found only minimal conversation on this product in only one thread... and there seemed to be some argument in the validity of the manufactuers claim.

thank you for any insight.
cheers.
-adam
Adam Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2004, 03:57 AM   #275
Warden

Adam, do a search here and you'll find several threads discussing the adapter. This thread will get you started, but you might just want to skip to page 4 and 5. The bottom line is the adapter does not work as many had hoped.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2004, 11:54 AM   #276
New Boot

thanks jeff

thanks for your response. this was the thread that i mentioned in my post. i had the feeling from the lack of discussion after the axe fell (especially that from the manufacturer) that this was the case.

well...as i have a d60 already and some ef lenses, i may purchase this adapter and quickly test it to see for myself...and if it does not work right, i will send it back. if i do this, i will post images and my experience with the unit.

thanks again jeff. nice wildlife photos by the way. i love the armadillo shot.
Adam Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2004, 01:41 PM   #277
Warden

Thanks. Be careful and check the return policy of XL1 Solutions. Some members said they could not get a refund.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2004, 09:57 AM   #278
New Boot

I have been considering the ef adapter and eos lens options for a documentary out in Wyoming. And the tests you posted Michael, are exactly what I needed to see to make up my mind. There doesn't seem to be a better bang for your buck way for wildlife video on the xl1! Thanks for taking the time to post.
Old May 28th, 2004, 06:18 AM   #279
Tourist

Using EF Lens

I have an XL1 video camera & I'd like to buy a 300mm EF lens coupled with my EF lens adapter to shoot distant objects like the full moon.

I was told that the adapter would make the 300mm into a super telephoto, approx. 2100mm because of the conversion from a SLR lens to a video lens.

I also have a 1.6X adapter, so would that give me a 3360mm result???

Thanks for your insight into this. If you've had success, what EF lens would you suggest I look at buying? If you've had problems with this set-up, what should I be concerned about?

Many Thanks!
Mike
Mike Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2004, 03:00 AM   #280
Regular Crew

EF Adaptor - where to buy in UK

Does anybody know where I can buy an EF adaptor for the XL1S in the UK. Have tried various sercahes but just keep coming back with details on the actual camera.

Thanks
Andrew Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2004, 08:31 AM   #281
RED Code Chef

The best place I know is from OpTex

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2004, 08:07 AM   #282
Regular Crew

Mike

The magnification factor is slightly higher than x7, but your figures are close enough. I use telephoto lenses a great deal using the XL1 and EF adapter, and the results can be outstanding.

I can't afford Canon primes: I use a Sigma 400mm f5.6 APO and a Sigma 120-300mm EX f2.8. I haven't owned the latter for very long but so far I like it a lot.

The following points are worth bearing in mind:

1. When using long, heavy lenses, you need to support both the camera and the lens. I use a home-machined long plate.
2. A sturdy tripod / head are mandatory.
3. It takes quite a bit of practise to use such huge lenses - locating the subject in the viewfinder can be difficult (I shoot birds: the moon shouldn't be too troublesome ;-), and panning / pulling focus without introducing camera shake can be tough.
4. Even fairly light winds can shut you down if you cannot shelter your camera.
5. I have had disappointing results with extenders.
6. Buy the best glass you can afford - despite the relatively low resolution of DV, good quality optics allow the XL1 to really shine.
7. Shallow DoF can be an issue.

Cheers
Duncan Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2004, 09:08 AM   #283
Tourist

Thanks Duncan

The info you gave me gives me the confidence I need to explore this option.
With the high magnification, I see why a good support system for the lens & camera is important. I'll give it a try ;)

Mike
Mike Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2004, 12:11 AM   #284
Regular Crew

I've had good luck with the 70 -200 and 1.4x EF extender.

Being able to zoom wide(er) helps to find the subject in the frame. The 70-200 non IS model is roughly the same money as the 300mm IS. Both are good optics.

I've also used my 28-70L with the XL-1 and have come away with amazing macros!

Grab a 10D or a used D60 or D30 and you'll have the makings for a fun still photo kit as well.

Enjoy!
Jeff Wros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2004, 10:15 PM   #285
Regular Crew

Michael, your pictures are a big help because I was confused by the wording on the canon site about the ef adapter:

"EF Adapter
Item Code: 3162A002

The optional EF Adapter fits onto the XL1S allowing use of Canon EOS EF lenses for quality still imaging."

Why on earth would they use the wording "quality still imaging"?

This implies that when the ef lenses are mounted the camera can only function in the still-capture mode.

I have 3 ef lens: 70-200 L IS, 16-35 L, and the 50 1.4... and being able to port them over to video on the XLxx is a major factor in my decision to go canon (I'm waiting for the XL2 before I buy).
Roger Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog