EF Lens adapter / EF Lenses / EOS Lens - Page 21 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old August 18th, 2004, 07:16 AM   #301
Regular Crew

Chris
I believe that quite a number of XL1 shooters use this lens, and I have never seen any serious adverse comments. I've used it a little, perhaps not enough to form a valid opinion. My impression was that the lens performed very well throughout most of its range, but was a touch soft above 300mm and wide open.

I bought a tele zoom to use with an XL1 a few months ago, and my choice was between the Canon 100-400 and the Sigma 120-300, which is in roughly the same price band. In the end, I went for the Sigma and have been very pleased with the results. The biggest advantage the Sigma has over the Canon is its speed: maximum aperture of f2.8 throughout its focal range, making it great for low light conditions. Optically, it is excellent. Another advantage is the zoom action. The Sigma zooms using a ring, and the length of the lens doesn't change. The Canon's push-pull action felt rather unwieldy, although I'm sure more practised users may not find it so.

Cheers
Duncan
Duncan Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2004, 10:56 AM   #302
New Boot

Duncan,

I would agree that the push pull zoom control is a bit of a handful and does push the front weight still further forward.

I am interested in your comment about the speed of this lense and I too thought that it might be better to go for a shorter lense and larger aperture to make up for low light found in the average UK woodland, so that remains a consideration.

I assume you purchased with a Canon mount and used the EF adaptor, so is the aperture control retained on the Sigma lense?

Do you mount the setup on the camera tripod bush, on the lense bush or do you have a dual mounting plate?

Just flicking through Practical Photography for August 04, they reviewed the Sigma 120-300 and commented that the optics are superb, but the price is near to £1700 in UK rather than £1170 for the Canon 100-400.

Regards,

Chris.
Chris Gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2004, 02:14 AM   #303
Regular Crew

Chris

>>I assume you purchased with a Canon mount and used the EF adaptor, so is the aperture control retained on the Sigma lense?

Yes, Canon fit with EF adapter. The aperture control is the wheel on the body of the XL1, not on the lens.

>>Do you mount the setup on the camera tripod bush, on the lense bush or do you have a dual mounting plate?

I use a dual mounting plate. I think this is essential with all heavy telephoto lenses, both for stability and to prevent damage to the lens mounts.

>>Just flicking through Practical Photography for August 04, they reviewed the Sigma 120-300 and commented that the optics are superb, but the price is near to £1700 in UK rather than £1170 for the Canon 100-400.

I could not find any reasonably-priced UK suppliers. I bought on-line from B&H in New York via mail order for $1800.

Cheers
Duncan
Duncan Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2004, 02:20 AM   #304
New Boot

Many thanks Duncan, you have been a great help.

Regards,

Chris.
Chris Gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2004, 01:42 PM   #305
Regular Crew

EF Adapter and this lens, what would happen?

When I purchased my xl1s used it came with an EF adapter. I would like to use this adapter to get more of a film look to my stuff. I am a student so I am on a small budget so a mini 35 adapter is out of my range. I am trying to use what I already have and in my price range. I have researched using the adapter and lenes, but since I am new to this I'm kinda confused.

What would happen if I used this EF adapter with a 8mm fisheye lens such as this one

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/html/fixed.htm

Since the EF adapter has a 7.2x magnification to the lens, would this make the lens equivalent to a 57mm lens or so?

If this is true would everything still look distorted as fisheye would normaly look on a SLR? or would it apear to be a normal lens becasue only the center of the lens is being used?

Has anyone tried the EF adapter with a fisheye before?

Or would it be better to go with a 12-24mm lens to achieve more of a film look.
Neo Castillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2004, 05:41 AM   #306
Regular Crew

Canon EF adaptor problem

Hi Guys,

Another question for you wonderfully informed people out there.

I have just bought the adaptor to use canon Ef lenses but seem to be having a problem. I have put on a 80-300mm ef lense but it doesn`t seem to work. The minimum view is as expected (7 x closer to a subject) but if I zoom in, the distance covered is no more than the 16x that comes with the xl1s. Am I missing a setting here ?. The lense is a cheap one that comes with a package of 2 lenses with a canon camera, would this make a difference

Thanks in advance

Andy
Andrew Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2004, 06:55 AM   #307
Warden

Are you saying the image size doesn't change when you zoom? What do you mean by "the distance covered?"

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2004, 12:16 PM   #308
Regular Crew

When I zoom in on a subject it is not very much. I was expecting a massive zoom of 300m x7.2 (2100mm), but it only zooms in as much as I can with the canon xl1s lens fitted, nothing more.
Old August 31st, 2004, 03:37 PM   #309
Warden

It is 40X the size of what the naked eye sees. The stock lens on the XL1 is about 12X what the eye sees.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old September 1st, 2004, 01:39 AM   #310
Regular Crew

so if I put the adpator on and put a 300mm lense would that not give hundreds if not thousands of what the eye sees. With an adaptor and a 300mm lense I`m only getting the equivalant of a 16x zoom. What am I doing wrong, or can the adaptor be at fault. I know its working at the botom end of the zoom as everything seems 7 times closer and I cannot get very wide on the lens.
Old September 1st, 2004, 06:16 AM   #311
Warden

The standard 16X lens is about 88mm. Your EOS EF lens is 300 mm. In optics a mm is always a mm. So, the EF lens gives you 3.4X more magnification than the XL lens. The crop factor gives you 7.2 times additional magnification. If your saying that the subject appears the same size with the EF lens at 300mm as the XL lens at 88mm (maximum zoom) then something is wrong.

Old September 6th, 2004, 03:07 PM   #312
New Boot

EF Adapter with 100mm Macro Lens

Still waiting for my adapter to arrive. The information on DV Info Net has clarified some questions on the long lenses but I'm wondering if the 100mm f2.8 macro (which gives 1:1 on 35mm) is usable and useful on the XL1s?
Anyone tried it or can give some comment?
John Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2004, 10:38 AM   #313
Major Player

John,

I guess the 100mm Macro lens would work just fine with the EF adaptor. But keep in mind, that a 100 mm lens on the XL1 would be equivalent to something like 700 mm. I wonder what you would shoot with this lens in macro mode. Boy, you could probably have the eye of a midget fill the whole frame! Focusing could be quite a challenge, though.

Let us see the results!!

Rainer
Rainer Hoffmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2004, 01:17 PM   #314
Regular Crew

EF lens test, and support system

You may have seen the quick webpage I put up last year with my EF system (35-350 canon lens) It shows the Cavision support system that i had custom made in vancouver that is great!

http://www.digitalcrossing.ca/ef-1.htm

I'm off to Africa for a shoot next week, so i will redo these lens test, and create a better page for people to look

If you need a email address for Cavison, let me know.
Old September 29th, 2004, 10:06 AM   #315
Regular Crew

Auto function EF Adaptor

I have searched all 19 pages of Canon XL1s Watchdog/lenses and optics and cannot find the answer. I hope someone can HELP.

I have a Canon XL1s and would like to fit a Sigma 120-300mm
f2.8 EX HSM Canon fit lens via a EF/XL adaptor.

My questions are:
Will the auto functions still operate, ie: auto focus,auto exposure, zoom from the camera controls.
If these functions do not operate is there any point in purchasing an auto lens.
Can anyone recomend a better & cheaper setup.
I must have f2.8 and 300mm. I will be using it for wildlife, often
in low light.
PS. I know all the problems with stability and depth of field.

Many thanks.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog