EF Lens adapter / EF Lenses / EOS Lens - Page 27 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old November 13th, 2005, 09:41 PM   #391
Wrangler

hi ron: the big criticism that i keep hearing about the canon 100-400mm lens is that the push pull focus draws dust into the lens, and i live in a dusty, semi-arid place. now you are mentioning softness over 300mm. maybe i would be better off with the sigma 50-500mm lens. the problem with getting into big lenses is, when you choose poorly, it is an expensive mistake, although these big lenses seem to hold their value very nicely. so far, though, it is hard to beat the fast lens on the 70-200mm 2.8...it has spoiled me for a slower lens, though there is the issue of extending the reach. still, i can't believe what amazing images this lens generates. it is taking my video to a whole new level....

the ronsrail seems like a very nice product, too. my main issue is with having to lug too much gear too far. i like to be able to take my gear pretty remote places, and i am trying to develop better beanbag technique, just so i can save weight on tripods. i will have to see how a new bigger, longer lens will perform with my bogen 516 and a long plate. one of the nice things about the 70-200 is that i can still get away with a lighter head, one which i can carry easily, as opposed to the 516, which weighs a ton. of course, with that big lens, i can just sit on my front porch and shoot for miles....i'll never have to leave the house!
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2005, 10:29 PM   #392
Regular Crew

Hi Meryem I have trouble keeping lenses over 300 mm steady in the wind or just touching the tripod. It takes alot of practice and self discipline to obtain good solid images with anything above 300mm. I also find myself getting more background and less close ups and head shots, as age catches up with me. 35mm still camera shooting liked that type of shooting;But I find it more satisfying to be a little more cautious and get closer if I need super cu stuff.
I have used the 50-300 f 4.5 FDL lens a lot and find that range very adequate. Unfortunately, Canon doesn't make a lens similar anymore. The closest one being the 28-300 5.6, which is a little slow and is a push pull with its inherent disadvantages. .
I have a friend that I see in Jackson Hole and Yellowstone quit often who uses a 70 200 and wouldn't change it for anything.
Tough decisions
Good luck!!!!
Ron Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2005, 05:21 AM   #393
Major Player

I have now had the chance to very briefly put the 70-300 DO on the XL-1s. I didn't have any time to shoot footage - it was just a very quick handling sort-of test.

Here are my thoughts:

Pros:
- The lens is much shorter, lighter and much less front-heavy than the 100-400 IS
- The focus and zoom controls stay near the mount of the lens when zooming in (the shifting of the controls as you zoom the 100-400 has always bothered me)
- The lens has a zoom-lock switch at the wide end (and only at the wide end!) that can be easily toggled
- The lens does not have the tendency to zoom in or out on its own when tilted up or down (because it has rotating zoom control)

Cons:
- The zoom ring was not easy enough to turn on the lens I used (particularly at the wide end) - but that's probably something that changes with use

I din't see any glaring image quality problems, but this was only judged through the EVF, pointing at scenes in subdued lighting conditions.

I have not formed a definte opinion at this point, but the lens is worthy of further investigation, I think. It handles well, and that's a very good start. If the image quality is suitable, it might well be worth it.

Has anyone else done some more comprehensive testing with it in the meantime?

HTH,

Ron
Ron Pfister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 06:55 PM   #394
Major Player

Compatible Lenses For EF Adapter?

Not being a Canon SLR photographer (I use Nikon from way back) I'm a little confused as to the lens designations from Canon.

I have an EF Adapter for the XL and recently purchased a Canon 18-55mm EF-S USM lens (which I thought the EF designation made it EF/EOS compatible), yet the lens will not mount into the EF Adapter.
It's the "cheaper" plastic (rubber) mount type lens, as opposed to a metal mount.

Can anyone assist as to why this lens wouldn't mount, and maybe you could steer me to a good resource which explains the differences in the "EF" lens desinations?

That would help tremendously so that I won't be purchasing a bunch of gear that I wouldn't be able to use.

Many thanks in advance!!
Ken Grohs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 09:19 PM   #395
New Boot

EF-S (it's canons "digital" lens class) is a different mount that the plain 'ol EF mount. Its basically for the 1.6x multiplier cameras (10D, 20D, & the rebels) and will not fit on a standard EF mount. I have a D60 and they will not fit on mine either. If you look at one of the supported canon cameras, you'll notice a white block that designates where an EF-S mount fits into the mount at, an EF is inserted at the red dot.

If you do not need it for a canon camera, I'd try to return it and get an EF mount lens. If you want to give one a try, look for the 50mm f/1.8, I got mine for like $70 @ B&H several years ago.

If you have the $$$, the 24-70L is a nice lens, though a bit heavy. The 17-40L is a good wide angle lens too, I have both and have used both quite often.

If you need telephoto, look for the 70-200L lenses. I think the 70-200L f/4 is noted to be a very good lens and not nearly as heavy as the f/2.8 versions. I had the f/2.8 IS model and it was HEAVY, but boy was it sharp! I kinda miss it...
Michael Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 10:05 PM   #396
Major Player

Awesome, Mike! Thanks for all the great info on lenses, and the heads-up on the different "EF" designations.

Will definitely take your recommendations on board. Feel much better now that I have a more informed idea of what to look, and look out, for.
Ken Grohs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 07:27 AM   #397
Regular Crew

Lens Adapter for using EOS lenses on XLS1..any thoughts?

I am traveling to Bangkok next week from Nepal for supplies and whatnot, and I am wordering if anyone here uses the Lens Adapter that allows for EOS lenses to be mounted on the XLS1s? Possible uses? Is it worth it? Is it true u need batteries? Does autofocus really work with a rig like that?

I have a large collection of nice canon eos lenses (and others with canon mounts) used on my D1 and other film cameras, so I am wondering if I can get creative with these, as they mostly lie dormant now.

Thanks for your thoughts!
jigs in kdoo
Old June 28th, 2006, 07:33 AM   #398
Obstreperous Rex

There is a Canon EF adapter for the XL series camcorders; it's been around since 1998. Autofocus is not enabled with this adapter. It will magnify the field of view of any EOS lens by a factor of 7.2 times, so even the widest angle lens becomes telephoto. Sorry about that,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 07:33 AM   #399
Wrangler

happy reading!

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ght=EF+adapter
Old June 28th, 2006, 07:34 AM   #400
Obstreperous Rex

Simultaneous post -- jinx on Meryem!

(yes I did get your email, thanks for the reminder!)

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 07:48 AM   #401
Wrangler

quick someone say my name, so i can talk again...isn't that how this works? the memory for these childhood frolics fogs over time!
Old June 28th, 2006, 08:09 AM   #402
Regular Crew

thanks all for the fast responses!

thanks all for the fast responses! well. i guess that's a no go unless i want to shoot the bloodsucking skeeters here during monsoon. Can't kill them being buddhist and all. anyway, hows Boulder CO these days? lived there for over 15 years in the 70's and 80's. nice place to film.
jigs in nepal
Old June 28th, 2006, 10:37 AM   #403
Wrangler

hey jiggy, greetings from sunny CO...you probably wouldn't recognize this town. the yuppies have pushed out the hippies, and Dot's Diner had to relocate from the gas station.

still beautiful, though....
Old June 28th, 2006, 11:25 AM   #404
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz
hey jiggy, greetings from sunny CO...you probably wouldn't recognize this town. the yuppies have pushed out the hippies, and Dot's Diner had to relocate from the gas station.

still beautiful, though....
Ha! I guess we are all underground or dead. Where did Dot's go, a strip mall in North Boulder? whaaaa. Is the Trident or Penny Lane still around? Those where the days. Thanks for the update!
Old June 29th, 2006, 01:20 PM   #405
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herojig Gaton
Where did Dot's go, a strip mall in North Boulder? whaaaa.

uh, unfortunately, yes...

trident is still the trident, penny lane departed this temporal plane last year, sadly.

home depot is a bright shiny star, however!

my dog looks uncannily like jiggy mutt.....

her video is here....

http://ia300131.us.archive.org/2/ite...WideScreen.mov
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog