XL1 / XL1S various posts - Page 57 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old June 11th, 2003, 10:33 AM   #841
Regular Crew

my bad

Never mind thread already moving and shaking.
Dick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2003, 05:08 AM   #842
Regular Crew

mini 3ccd cameras/time lapse problems?

Hi all
I have an XL1 but find I am increasingly needing something far smaller but with a similar picture quality. I have been considering buying a Sony TRV950 but I am not sure if it really is up to what I need. It will be used in the Cambodian jungle and in the rainy season, I find my XL1 copes with the humidity quite well, anyone
know what the sony is like. Apparently a guy recently used a PD150 here and it packed up almost imediately.
I am also looking for a camera to take time lapse (at present I am looking at filming a carcase being reduced by vultures over 5 or 6 days. Power is obviously a big problem as this is well away from any electrical supply and I couldn't go near the camera for around 14 hours during daylight, anyone any suggestions?
cheers
Allan
Allan Michaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2003, 06:28 AM   #843
Wrangler

Maybe use a llaptop PC with softwware that can to timelapse frame grab (e..g., Premiere, check index under "Capturing Stop Motion"), a camcoder in camera mode (no tape) and a large, high capacity battery (e.g., automotive 12-volt battery-with appropriqte power adapters) for the PC and camcorder.
Old June 17th, 2003, 12:47 AM   #844
Regular Crew

went with the portabrace rb-1 bag because it's the only one that looked like it could fit the xl1s, without breaking my bank. got it today and it fits the camera perfectly snug, but the vf and mic need to be removed in order to prevent the bag from bulking too much at the side. nevertheless, it's a great bag, definitely not as big as the hiker pro. there's enough pockets to comfortably fit my vl10-li light, 3 bp-945 batteries and charger.
Edwin Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2003, 07:13 AM   #845
Major Player

BeachTek setting/Cannon XL1s

Anyone using the Beachtek DXA-4C with their XL1s? Question...what is the best configuration for a line-level input from a mixer...do you set the XL1 for mic input and set the beachtek for line or set the XL1 for line input and set the beachtek for mic...or both at line level (although I have noticed too much attenuation at this setting...)
Mark
Mark A. Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2003, 06:47 AM   #846
Trustee

Canon does the Peachtree

Hey, listen up. I was standing at the finish line for the Peachtree 10k Road Race in Atlanta, GA. The cameramen that were videoing from the back of the motorcycles and following the leaders were using Canons. This was for FOX-5 news. So if you got to see the first place male and female crossing the finish line on the TV, they were both being videoed with Canons. The one for the men was the GL and the female was the XL-1s. Oh, they were using the 16x standard lens as they were on the back of motorcycles. Bob Safay
Bob Safay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2003, 02:51 PM   #847
Regular Crew

Can Audio 1 connect to Mic ?

Sorry, my english isn't good.
I want to ask, can audio 1 connect to mic without MA-100???
What kind mic, I must use ???
Old July 5th, 2003, 04:57 PM   #848
Wrangler

Yes, and your english is fine. Open the door over the audio controls and turn the switch from 'MIC' to 'Audio 1'.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2003, 06:13 AM   #849
Wrangler

You can use almost any MIC you want that can drive a low impedance (600 ohm) input. Also it should have a about -55 dBV output with the material you plant to record to obtain adequate record levels. All you need is an appropriate adatper to connect the mic to the RCA connector.

If the mic is not self-powered (i.e., it requires phantom power), you will have to provide that. Note that the MA-100/200 and XL1/1s DO NOT provide phantom power.
Old July 6th, 2003, 06:05 PM   #850
Trustee

I usually use a DXA-6, but I have used the 4 quite a bit as well.

It depends on the mixer. Most will output +4dBu, so I switch the
beachtek to line level and keep the XL1 at mic level input. If the mixer
is sending -10dBu signal, then I would keep the beachtek at mic level
and put the XL1 over to -10dBu line level input and use the gain
controls on both units to achieve the proper gain.

This is my one complaint about beachtek, that the -50 pads they
use in their boxes are TOO much attenuation. I would far prefer
-30 or even -20 pads. Hot mics like the Sennheiser ME66/K6 combo
either have to be barely cracked open when using mic level input
(not enough control of signal strength) or turned up all the way
which doesn't give you quite enough signal IMO.

Your mileage may vary.
Old July 7th, 2003, 03:59 PM   #851
Regular Crew

happy, happy, joy, joy.

just got my new XL last tuesday. and i love it. its the coolest thing in the world. i love everything about it.

although everyone was right and it is very big and kind of heavy and my pack to accomodate it is big too. so that part is definitely its downfall.

but the picture quality is great.

i haven't used it for any real projects yet but have some things scheduled for july and august. so i'm real excited about getting out there and really seeing what that thing is made of.

does anyone know of any lcd places around. ive found a bunch but not finding quite what i was hoping to get. i want something that is about 3.5 inches so its no bigger than whats on like the GL or panasonic. and i want it to attach to the shoe on the front of the cam where the EVF and mic component go. i don't plan on using the mic really for anything immediate. does anyone know of anything that would satisfy that?

i will hopefully have some stuff up in the next 2 months so i will post some stuff then to get some feedback.

thanks for everyones help the last 2 weeks. it really helped in my decision.

cheers. J.
Old July 9th, 2003, 03:32 PM   #852
Contributor

Check B&H and Markertek for LCD monitors. Citizen makes one that might work for you. I bought a bigger 5" one a year or so ago and it was a piece of crap, totally useless outdoors. For a recent shoot in which my camera was mounted on a jib that went up 10 feet, I was away from power and couldn't use the normal monitor, so I bought a little LCD TV from Radio Shack for $150. It worked great for my purposes, though I had to get a BNC to RCA adapter then RCA to mini.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2003, 06:10 PM   #853
Wrangler

Recommend lens set for video: XL1S

Hi,

What's a basic lens set for video?

Does it make sense to just get the P+S mini 35mm with the Cooke lenses for video as well? Or is that too heavy for handheld shooting? Wondering because I'm planning on getting those eventually but not for about 9-12 months.
Old July 22nd, 2003, 01:59 PM   #854
New Boot

On camer light suggestions for XL1s

Hello all,

Sorry in advance if this topic has been covered. Although I didn't find anything in my search.

I'm looking for suggestions on a vid light for the XL1s. I will be using it for fill on interviews with people when i'm doing the "run-and-gun". I have full Arri kits for nice studio setups.

I'm currently looking at Fezzi micro-fills.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,
Jason
Jason Heck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2003, 11:31 PM   #855
Obstreperous Rex

See http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=12154 for starters.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog