XL1 / XL1S various posts - Page 88 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old July 1st, 2004, 01:04 AM   #1306
Major Player

Or to put another way...

Forget my son's film needs. What is a good audio package for an XL-1s or a TRV 900? We use top notch equipment all the time - but this is a personal purchase for personal use. Any recomendations will be most welcomed. It seems all my audio techs are on vacation; those that aren't, can't come up with anything under $5k.
Old July 4th, 2004, 01:42 PM   #1307
New Boot

Senn 100 going out

Last month I was shooting a wedding with the XL-1s and had the Senn EW100 lav system clipped to the minister. Then, in the middle of the ceremony, it went out. Used the same mic later at the reception for interviews--- no problem. Used the same mic again during a short film--- no problem. Used the same mic on another day of shooting, it goes out. Any thoughts? Has anyone experienced this? If so, any remedies would be appreciated, since I have another wedding this weekend.
Old July 7th, 2004, 09:15 AM   #1308
Trustee

I'm not positive that it won't protrude into frame but I think if you're going to go camera mounted maybe you'd want the ME64?
Nick Hiltgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2004, 07:19 AM   #1309
Regular Crew

Microphone Setup Help!

I am in a situation where my standard XL1s camera mounted microphone has become insufficient to my needs.

I have found the onboard microphone to be very useful and of good quality, but I require a boom pole mounted microphone for my future work (mainly documentaries).

I am seeking advice about what would be the best microphone, boom poles, shock mounts etc to purchase.

I need a microphone which I can mount on a boom pole and connect to my Canon XL1s through the MA-200, without the use of Phantom Power etc.

I have done a little research and have come across the Sennheiser ME66 with the K6 Power module. Would this be sufficient to mount on a boom pole and capture good quality sound on my XL1s?

I am looking for someone to advise me as to whether or not this is sufficient, and where I can find reasonably priced Boom Poles, Shock mounts, and Microphones etc.

Thank You
Old July 8th, 2004, 08:55 AM   #1310
Regular Crew

Check out the AT897 too. Check previous threads ME66 vs AT897.
Chris McKee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2004, 04:19 PM   #1311
Major Player

XL1s vs. XL1 light sensitivity

I had the opportunity to shoot with both rigs, side by side, on a shoot this week. I noticed that the XL1s was about one stop faster than the older XL1. All the settings, such as gain, were the same.

The XL1 had the 3x lens while the XL1s had the 16x lens. I would shoot at a f2 with the XL1 while the XL1s was at 2.8 in the same lighting and approxiamate shot.

Has anyone else noticed this difference??
Jim Sofranko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2004, 06:29 PM   #1312
Major Player

Batteries and charger questions

I have a few CA 900 battery chargers that work well except for one on which the red light shines on continuously. I have avoided using that one and have not had a moment to diagnose as to why it does not blink or go off. It is even on when no battery is engaged. Any ideas why it does that?

On another topic...anyone know where to buy the battery covers for the BP-945's and such?

One last question...does anyone make a charging system that charges several of these batteries at once? I do have a CH 910 which is great. But I'm looking for a single unit that may charge several batteries at once without all the multiple plugs and wires that constantly get in the way at my battery charging area.

Thanks for any help.
Jim Sofranko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2004, 08:06 PM   #1313
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Jim,
I certainly would not trust that red-eye charger. It's impossible to assess what it's problem is. They're fundamentally just a circuit board mounted in a plastic mounting enclosure. Perhaps it met with a bad bang that caused some sort of short. Don't jeopardize your batteries with it.

Canon is the only battery supplier I know of that provides these terminal covers. Neither of the other two popular manufacturers, Lenmar and Power 2000, provide them. I don't really worry about this with my batteries. Just make sure that the batteries are stashed in a spot free from potential short hazards.

I don't know of a charger for these batteries that handles more than two at a time. I use the CH-910 for handling doubles.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2004, 09:32 PM   #1314
Tourist

Canon XL1 FLASH

I bought a Speedlite 420ex and a FA-200 adapter but the flash does not show up in the viewfinder and does not activate in photo mode.
Is the XL1 limited to only the 380 Speedlite?
Thanks
Tim R. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2004, 10:19 PM   #1315
Obstreperous Rex

I believe the XL1 may be limited to the 380EX Speedlite only. Call Canon tech support at 1-800-OK-CANON to confirm. In my opinion you should consider upgrading your cam to at least the XL1S.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2004, 03:09 AM   #1316
Regular Crew

Thanks, I'll check that out!
Old July 9th, 2004, 04:30 AM   #1317
Tourist

Canon XL1 FLASH

Thanks Chris,
I've tried the Canon Website several times with no luck getting any useful info. So the info # I'll try.
Yes the XL-1S would be nice. And I will have to upgrade as a great deal of tape has gone thru my XL-1.
But the funds have not appeared yet.
What is it they say, "You have to have money to make money."
Weddings are supplementing my income and so I want to constantly be looking to improve the product, thus the speedlite. I could not find any 380 Speedlite's so went with the next level up including having to buy the FA-200 because the FA-100 adapter would not work with 420EX speedlite. But being neither adapter work I am wondering if the XL-1 or new 420EX are the problem. Or perhaps FA adapters? So many questions so little time.
Great forum
Thanks Tim
Tim R. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2004, 12:36 PM   #1318
Regular Crew

Tape "Eject" message

During the video shot, Message "EJECT" on the screen flashing...then i turn "OFF" XL1s and eject the tape, after few minutes insert tape again, guess what... Its Working fine..
Does anyone experience this before...
Old July 9th, 2004, 02:10 PM   #1319
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

We already have many threads and posts related to this matter.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2004, 02:16 PM   #1320
Regular Crew

Good by

I know I haven't been posting here for some time. Part of that was since I retired in Oct last year I've been busy going places and doing things that I had planned on doing in retirement. I've been to the bottom of the Grand Canyon (Diamond Creek) up to Valley of the Gods in Ut and Death Valley. All these places and more I've carried and used my XL1s as well as a digital still camera. I've taken hours of video and had plenty of fun doing the shooting as well as producing it onto dvd on my iMac. I found myself taking more and more still shots and less and less video. It came to the point that the xl1s was left behind more and more. With this said I have made a deal with a store in New York to but my meger equipment in order to upgrade my still camera to a Connon EOS 1Ds. I have learned so much from everyone here both during my lurking days and moreso after I became an official member. This is by far the best forum to learn and share digital video thoughts and processes. In working up my deal I kept hearing that the XL1s was being phased out very soon so it's replacement. I mention that for what it's worth. Agin so long and best of luck to all. Yes I am having a ball being retired!
Don Libby is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog