XL1 / XL1S various posts - Page 98 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old October 21st, 2004, 10:32 PM   #1456
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Welcome Anne.

Sorry to hear of your trouble. You must be pretty disappointed with your new camera. Unfortunately, this is clearly a manufacturing defect that you will not be able to fix for yourself. Send the camera to Canon Service as soon as possible, as it's still covered by warranty.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2004, 10:51 PM   #1457
Obstreperous Rex

This should be a warranty repair in my opinion.

One quick note, sometimes problems like this can be caused inadvertantly by operator error (although please understand that I'm not at all claiming that this was the case here). The lens has a series of contacts along the back plate that connects to the camera head. If the camera is not switched off prior to removing the lens, then it's possible for those contacts to cross-connect around each other with power going through them during the act of removing a lens or putting one on. It's possible to short out some cicuitry that way. This is why it's crucial to power the camera down when changing lenses.

Regardless of the particular cause in this case, whether it's a manufacturing defect or operator error, it should be repaired free under warranty. Please let us know how it goes.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2004, 04:37 AM   #1458
Wrangler

The stop-to-stop zoom speeds of the ZR-1000 are contained in an article on this site at:
http://www.dvinfo.net/canon/articles/article63.php

Thera also are reviews of sevaral of the VariZoom products among the articles.
Old October 22nd, 2004, 04:41 AM   #1459
Wrangler

The plugs are standard sizes (available even at Radio Shack), but the combination is unique to Canon, and has been since the L1/L2 days. The 3.5mm stereo plug is for the audio and carries the ground and audio output from the mic, and the 2.5 mm mono plug provides power to the mic.
Old October 23rd, 2004, 06:10 AM   #1460
Wrangler

The XDA-4C should be a passive device - meaning no amplifiers in it and thus nothing to generate noise, except perhaps for an open ground or pickup of stray electrical/magnetic fields in the area.

Is this a long-standing problem or has it just started? Have you tried the Beachtek on a different camcorder?

What else is connected to the camcorder?

What is the noise level and does the manual gain control effect the noise level?

How are you powering the XL1? If batteries, what brand and rating? Old or new?

Try different batteries and A/C power - see if that makes a difference.

I suggest this because I've noticed when using the MA100 that under some circumstances different batteries can induce a very low level, high pitched noise in the system. While the Beachtek is a different device, there might be something similar going on.
Old October 26th, 2004, 11:00 AM   #1461
Tourist

broken white door on camera

The door over the audio knobs on the back left of the Xl1 broke in a recent accident. I ordered the new part from Canon, however it appears that this is much more than just the door itself. The door and hinge is attached to the white piece of plastic that makes up the majority of the left side body of the camera.

Has anyone ever replaced this part before? How do you get that off to fix it?

Thanks!
Caerie Houchins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2004, 05:47 PM   #1462
Wrangler

Not recommended for the non-technician. It appears to be held on by a screw or two from the inside of the frame. A significant undertaking.
Old October 27th, 2004, 03:51 AM   #1463
Regular Crew

Canon XL FLANGE FOCAL DISTANCE

Hallo,

some one know the exact FLANGE FOCAL DISTANCE on the canon XL mount ???

thanks

PR

"sorry for my poor english"
Paolo Rudelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2004, 11:35 AM   #1464
New Boot

XL1s Zeba pattern/ and broadcast safe

Hello folks and thanks so much for being out there. My question is When shooting with a XL1s you can set the Zebra pattern to show areas of overexposure with the settings of 80-95. I am trying to aquire video that will be broadcast safe (whites under 100) to save time in the editing process. While shooting recently I had my camera hooked up to a NTSC field monitor to get an acurate idea of picture quality. The image in the viewfinder looked a little milky as I stopped down to reduce Zebra in hot spots but looked fine on monitor. I used monitor for referance. I need information on how to set up XL1s to get the best quality picture for TV broadcast.I have not been able to find information on the operation of the camera in reguard to broadcast levels. Any good reference materials would be helpful.
thanks,
Brian
Old October 28th, 2004, 01:00 PM   #1465
Major Player

Broadcast save video signals involve luma and chroma combined levels. Unless you have a specific control monitor, like e.g. Barco's (today Scientific Atlanta) CVM 3000 monitor you cannot estimate on a monitor whether or not the signals are legal. If you keep the combined (composite) signal level below 120 IRE on a waveform monitor you will be safe
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2004, 02:55 PM   #1466
New Boot

Eject does not work

The outer door will open but can not load tape . The carriage will not budge. No tape in camera.

Thanks
Tony B

xl1-s
Tony Beazley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2004, 07:56 AM   #1467
Obstreperous Rex

You must send this camera in for service right away.

Canon Factory Service
100 Jamesburg Road
Jamesburg, NJ 08831
tel: (732) 521-7007

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2004, 08:17 AM   #1468
RED Code Chef

I think you need a service manual for that kind of information. I
don't think it has been discussed here before to that extend.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2004, 01:43 AM   #1469
Tourist

XLR Cable Length for XL1S/MA-100

I wish to use the Sennheiser ME-66 mounted to my XL1S (on a Lightwave MM-XL) connected to an MA-100. How long an XLR cable should I buy for this configuration? I imagine it will be fairly short.
Robert Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2004, 04:39 AM   #1470
Regular Crew

XL1S Original Mic Cable!? Help!

Anyone knows where can I get just a cable (with two plugs) that connect original microphone with XL1S body? Inside the XL1S mic, cable is connected via small connector so I guess it is possible to change whole cable. Or is it only solution for me to buy another XL1S mic? Anyone knows where?

Please help!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog