XL1 / XL1S various posts - Page 101 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old December 2nd, 2004, 03:07 PM   #1501
Wrangler

You're proberly best contacting Canon. I don't think anyone hear will be able to tell you how to re-align the chips. That is if the chips are the problem.

Hope this helps,

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2004, 03:11 PM   #1502
New Boot

Pro Mist Black Filters with XL1/2

Hi all, anyone interested in discussing their experiences using Pro Mist Black filters with the XL1? I bought the Tiffen DV Film Look set and wanted to get some pointers.

Thanks - Misha
Old December 5th, 2004, 07:10 PM   #1503

XL-1s Used for HGTV segment

Greetings:

In case anyone's interested, a piece I shot with my XL-1s for HGTV (Home & Garden Channel) is slated to run December 19. It's a segment for a show called "Outta Control Christmas." The segment is about Salida, Colorado. Wait until you see the stuff I shot in the blizzard.

It airs at 7:00 PM, Rocky Mountain Time.
Old December 5th, 2004, 07:29 PM   #1504
Wrangler

Congrats, Charles! Good for you.

I've got a HGTV crew in and out of my house shooting for a new show called "Redesign" which will premiere in the spring--they are covering the renovation of a room in my house. I'm having fun with it, because for the first time I'm around a crew and I don't have to do any work(other than being on camera--which I don't consider work).

They shoot on high end DVCAM most of the time, but will occasionally send out a producer with a PD-150 to get b-roll of procedural stuff. A couple of times they haven't been able to schedule a particular event and I have shot it on my DVX100a for them, for which they are eternally grateful!
Old December 5th, 2004, 07:48 PM   #1505

XL-1s for HGTV

Yeah, I was told HGTV doesn't want any DV stuff... but they didn't want to take their expensive toys out in the snow storm, I guess. Anyway, the other guy they sent had a DVCAM rig, but I noticed he used his XL-1s, too. They also wanted all audio to be on a wireless mic, which I provided; but that mic on the XL-1s is pretty awesome.
Old December 5th, 2004, 08:27 PM   #1506
Tourist

Dv Player Recorder

New... Interested in editing... Have hit almost every thread.. (A lot of great info) Have XL1 and XL2 at this time I am shooting for a show I would like to produce for myself. Have stored a lot of my film to hard drives ..(200HRS.).. I am hunting for a player recorder but, I do not want to purchase one that will be either useless or over kill....... Seems to be very little info on this subject... High end or low cost what is the best direction to go? Also the info that is being discussed on the direct recorders seems to be the new item, but is it the new direction the industry will be going? Sony...Panasonic...Quick..Fire... Pretty D--M confusing LAZY MAN PRODUCTION
Don Carmical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2004, 10:29 PM   #1507
Major Player

Hi Don...

Do you mean for final delivery? DVD?
For transfer i/o from your computer?
Minidv deck?
A minidv cheapie camera is the budget and robust coice of many...

I'm not sure what you are looking for...
I am sure that your caps lock is ON on your keyboard...
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2004, 05:23 AM   #1508
RED Code Chef

Don: welcome to DVInfo.net. I edited your post to change all to
remove your uppercasing. All the words were WRITTEN LIKE THIS.

Please follow normal writing guidelines. All uppercase is seen as
shouting/yelling on the Internet. Thank you.

I have to agree with Jimmy that your post is a bit vague on what
you are looking for exactly and it might be wise to list how much
money you can spend on such a purchase as well.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2004, 09:08 PM   #1509
Tourist

my first interview with wireless Help...

I have canon xl1s with ma100 adaptor and am doing a interview in a convetion the way they want to use me is the interviewer will have sennheser g2 wireless lav and also hand held wireless mic for the people she is interviewing schould i have onboard mic working also with the two wireless so i get backround audio and if so how do i set up camera for that ???

thanks for any help...

Also which type of lav mic schould i use cartoid etc..?

thanks again
james
James Berone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2004, 12:24 AM   #1510
New Boot

Recomeded Training DVD for XL1s

I am looking for a good training DVD for XL1s. I saw one posted on mandy.com, the link takes you to www.canondvguide.com This website claims it has such a training dvd, but it looks like a fraud site. Has any one els ordered this DVD and did they get the goods? and if so, is it a good giude?

Hey Iam new here!
Mark Sloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2004, 12:32 AM   #1511
Obstreperous Rex

Welcome to DV Info Net, Mark. The XL1S training DVD from canondvguide.com was created by cinematographer Greg Salman of Los Angeles, California, whom I have known personally for several years. If you look at the home page of my XL1 / XL1S Watchdog site, you'll see a banner at the top for Greg's DVD. In my opinion it is the best XL1S training resource I have ever come across, and I'd say that even if I didn't know him. Greg is so knowledgeable about the XL1, XL1S, XL2 and GL2 that Canon USA frequently invites him to work behind their counter at numerous trade shows across the country. Expect a full review of his series of Canon training DVD's on my site very soon, but in the meantime I can vouch for the quality of his training materials and you will not be disappointed with any of them. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2004, 08:05 PM   #1512
Regular Crew

A decent camera mounted light on the cheap.

I do wedding videos, most of the time lighting isn’t a problem, if a dance hall is too dim I can usually get the lighting increased, though just in-case it would be nice to have a light for backup. I really don’t want to spend too much on this as I doubt I would be using it often, so I’m asking what’s the cheapest I could reasonably get a light for my camera? What lights do you recommend? And, where do you recommend I buy a light?

Thanks,
Josh
Josh Hibbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2004, 05:17 AM   #1513
RED Code Chef

Please do a search as well, I know for sure this topic has at least
been discussed once for the XL1.

Also a new thread has just been started on the very same thing
on the XL2 (which should be the same light-wise as the XL1),
see the thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=36355

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2004, 11:38 AM   #1514
Regular Crew

I did a search, the only things I found were most definitely not budget conscious, and I don’t check the xl2 forum often, so I started a thread.

The Ultralight 2 was the most reasonably priced listed in that thread you recommended, but at $160 is still not incredibly cheap; is this as low as camera lights go? Its much better than what I found in the threads I searched for, but still for the amount I will be using it, I don’t know if it pays. Honestly I'm looking for something less than $100. Is this possible?

I have been finding some lights online, but how do I know if they will fit a xl1s?
Josh Hibbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2004, 01:19 PM   #1515
Brandon Smith

DV in problem with XL1S

Hi,

Suddenly whenever I hook up my XL1S to premiere using my firewire cable, when I try to capture, I get the message "device offline." I've tried using the same cord with other camcorders, and their is no problem. So I think its something with the XL1S. Also, whenever I'm in VCR mode on the camcorder, it always says "DV In," even when the firewire cable isn't connected. Any ideas? Thanks everyone.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog