XL1 / XL1S various posts - Page 96 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old September 29th, 2004, 04:30 AM   #1426
Wrangler

The stock XL1 mic requires an external source of 5 VDC power. That tends to limit its use to Canon camcorders that have the power jack next to the mic input. This feature was common to other Canon camcorders including those dating back over 10 years to the L1/L2 and A1.

The 2.5mm submini phone plug provides +5 VDC via the tip connector. The 3.5mm stereo miniplug is the audio output and also provides the ground return for power.
Old September 29th, 2004, 05:55 AM   #1427
New Boot

Help with mic...Please

I just bought a Sennheiser EW122PG2 wireless mic and have it mounted on my XL1s through the MA-100. The omni mic sounds really muffled for some reason. The distant sounds where good but the normal voice coming from the subject sounded muffled. I tried the mic setting on auto and manual and turned the volume gain down but no difference. What should I try?
Robert Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2004, 10:13 PM   #1428
Regular Crew

Wireless lav for XL1

Can anyone tell me a good quality lav mic for an xl1. I will
be doing most filming outdoors in a quiet setting. I'm looking to spend around $250 or so. Also, is VHF or UHF better?
Thank you
Matthew Lombardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2004, 04:30 AM   #1429
Wrangler

Try MIC ATT setting, and check any ouput level and gain setting options on the EW122.
Old October 1st, 2004, 06:36 PM   #1430
Major Player

Aburpt shifting of light (outdoors)

Last weekend, I shot a lot of footage from my car, going through scenic areas outside of Toronto. The skies were blue, and the sun was beautiful. I had problems while driving through tree'd areas however, the shadows cast really made the image 'muddy'.

I ran the camera at 1/60 (for the most part), f4.6 - 7.x, with a circ pol. (necessary, or else nasty dash glare resulted). I left the white balance to auto settings, as I wanted fewer things to worry about while driving.

I experimented with the ND filter on the 16x ISII, and 3x wide, and tried no filters at all, trying to understand how best to tackle the abrupt shifting of light from sunny, to brief shaded periods. I couldn't nail a satisfactory image.

For kicks I tried the Auto gain to see how the XL1S reacts, nasty grain was the result. Not acceptable.

Can anyone who has shot a similar situtaion, share some pointers on how to deal with it aburpt shifts in light with the XL1S?
Old October 1st, 2004, 07:13 PM   #1431
Wrangler

Andrew,

Try running the camera in Tv mode. You can select your shutter and let the camera take control of the iris. I would suggest keeping the gain set to 0 or plus 3db. Have used this in outdoor settings and seems to work pretty good within reasonable limits.

=gb=
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2004, 02:25 PM   #1432
Regular Crew

Wireless Adapters Sennheiser to Shure

Has anyone ever purchased adapters which would allow you to plug in a 3.5 mm plug from a Sennheiser or Countryman E6 Lav into a Shure bodypack? The Connection on the Shure bodypack is a Switchcraft TA4M, so I'd need an 3.5 female to TA4F adapter.

My scenario is I travel with a talent who uses the Countryman E6 and I use Sennheiser G2 100 for my XL1 - we travel to some venues where sound and light are supplied in house and many times they use the Shure wireless. Last time this happened, I used my bodypack for the talent and connected my receiver into their mixer but would prefer to use all of their equipment in the future. I also get a line in via XLR cable into my MA-100 from their mixer.

I contacted CUI but they only sell in bulk units...and so far no reply back from Switchcraft...

Thanks for any help with this.....
Old October 3rd, 2004, 07:30 AM   #1433
Wrangler

If you cannot find a premade adapter, you could buy the parts and have a technician make it up. Shure web site lists the TA4F connectors for about $13.26.
Old October 3rd, 2004, 05:53 PM   #1434
Regular Crew

question about selling an xl1s

hello everyone. I was just wondering how much you think that i could get for a basically new xl1s, all original accessories, the box, less than 10 hours of use and a 4 year extened warranty. thanks for your time i apreciate it.

alex b
Old October 3rd, 2004, 05:57 PM   #1435
Warden

Check ebay, they are the best reference for the going rate for used equipment. If the warranty is transferrable I would think that you could get just several hundred dollars less than what you paid. If you need a quick sale you will need to discount the price accordingly.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2004, 08:56 AM   #1436
Major Player

Thanks Greg, I tried this over the weekend, haven't had time to view the footage, but I'm putting faith in it.
Old October 6th, 2004, 07:40 AM   #1437
Regular Crew

Don-

Thanks for your reply..

Just heard back from Countryman who say that the E6 microphones are supplied with snap on connectors located
behind the ear which allow you to purchase spare E6 cables with the appropriate connector pre installed specific to transmitter model.

So I'm passing this information along to others in case they may be faced with this in the future..
Old October 11th, 2004, 08:02 PM   #1438
Regular Crew

2nd Camcorder for static shots.

Hi Folks,

I shot my first wedding this past weekend. I used my xL1-s along with my Panasonic Palm camcorder for static shots and cutaways sitting on a tripod. I was wondering what I could get that would maybe match up with my xl1-s? I was thinking 2 Optura Xis. Anybody else shooting in a configuration similiar to this?

Thanks, Jerome
Jerome Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2004, 12:41 PM   #1439
Regular Crew

zoom ring

hello all, i was wondering if any of you had some tips on using the zoom ring for nice controled zooms. whenever i use it slowly it ends up being a real choppy zoom. any sugestions? thanks in advance

alex b
Old October 14th, 2004, 09:12 AM   #1440
Regular Crew

16x IS II

can this lens be used on any of canon's slr digital cameras?

thought if so, i could save some scratch and just get a new body for a digital slr to replace my aging AE1.

thoughts?
Chris Trainor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog