Canon XL1 & XL1S Batteries / Battery Options - Page 22 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old February 3rd, 2005, 06:21 AM   #316
RED Code Chef

I have no idea, but if you suspect these (I'm not really sure how
these could be responsible for it, since the XL1 has a fuse etc.)
perhaps get a Canon brand battery?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2005, 07:11 PM   #317
Wrangler

Not likely to be a battery problem, but high altitude could be an contributing factor due to higher cosmic radiation than at low altitudes. The only time I've seen hot pixels in my GL1 image were after several hours of shooting near of Denver (at The Fort).

Two simple home tests for a battery - check voltage - it should be close to the canon battery voltage at the same charge condition. Then put in a fresh charged battery, stick in a scretch tape and let it roll recording, see how much you can record before it shuts down on low battery. You may have to rewind and re-record on the tape if it is a reasonably high capacity battery. Early shutdown (time wise) implies an old, tired battery.
Old February 4th, 2005, 08:29 PM   #318

High Altitude

Don: I'm not sure that's the problem. I live at 8,500' elevation and I shoot at higher elevations routinely. My XL1s is nearly three years old and I've never had a problem like that.

But, come to think of it, I have never shot a single frame without a UV filter on the lens. So maybe...
Old February 5th, 2005, 06:49 AM   #319
Trustee

Ron, Like Charles I shoot in the Rockies a lot. My inlaws live at over 8,000 ft. down by Wolf Creek Pass. I have never had a pixil problem. However, like Charles I always use a filter. To you shoot toward the sun much? Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2005, 11:47 AM   #320
New Boot

I do live in Denver, have a UV filter (not an expensive one), and do not shoot at the sun. I shoot weddings, so I do shoot while photographers have their flashes going off, and I also shoot into DJ colored lights for a nice effect.

Do some UV filters protect better than others? If so, I'll replace mine. The ones I have are from Quantaray.

I spoke with a Canon rep in Irvine who didn't believe photography camera flashes or DJ's colored lights would cause harm to my video cameras.

I did measure the voltage of the batteries fully charged, and they are identical to the Canon batteries.

At this point, the Canon service rep and I feel I'm just having a streak of really bad luck. Fortunately, these cameras are covered under an exteneded warranty which has paid for itself several times. However, if this problem continues after the extended warranty expires, I will probably have to sell these cameras and look at Sony or Panasonic.

Thanks for all of your input. If anyone else has any suggestions, I'd sure appreciate it.

Ron
Ron Lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2005, 01:53 AM   #321
Major Player

Also have had XL1S for several years and no pixel problem.
Are they exposed to direct sunlight in the lense ?or some other source of bright light?With the repeated failures and not many others having the same problem that there is something specific to your situation.
I wouldn't expect the batteries to cause this the internal voltage regulation should stabilize them .However you may want to check each battery against the canon tech spec
Jack Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2005, 01:13 PM   #322
Major Player

Car Charger & Batteries for XL1

I am going to to be shooting a mini-doc about about a 128 mile charity bike ride in a couple months, so I need to make sure that I can stay charged for shooting all day long without any AC power.

I have heard tale of car chargers for the XL1, but can't find one... can someone point me in the right direction?

Also I am interested in peoples experience in terms of how quickly they charge. If it takes 6 hours, it will not really be useful to me... Can you run the camera directly off the car batter through the adapter?

Anyone have a guess on how many batteries I should bring, or which batteries recharge the most quickly? Certainly I am not shooting for twelve hours straight... mostly it would be some B-Roll during the riding, and then probably six 1/2 hour shoots during their breaks.

It starts early, also, so I may need to bring a light.... i will definitely try to find one that runs on it's own battery or on the car, though.

Any other input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old March 21st, 2005, 04:34 PM   #323
Regular Crew

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=PROFRAME&PROD_ID=716077

I dont have one so I cant vouch for it, but it looks like a good deal, I was going to buy one, but I just bought another 945 battery they were selling for fifty bucks (havent used it yet)
Josh Hibbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2005, 06:22 PM   #324
Regular Crew

i got a charger off ebay that came with a 9v car adapter. i shot a music video in a garage (forgot a/c adapter) and was able to charge batteries in the car. cost around 20-30 bucks shipped.
Old March 22nd, 2005, 06:40 PM   #325
Major Player

I don't have a car charger... instead I have a DC to AC converter that I use.

I find that to be more versatile. It plugs into the car's cigarette lighter (what do you call those things now that no manufacturer actually puts a lighter in it anymore??)

It has 3 power outlets on it, so I can plug in my charger, and anything else I might need.

I've used it on location shoots before where a generator would have been overkill, but I needed to power my on set monitor, a charger, and a deck.

You can pick one up at Home Depot, or any place like that.

Just a suggestion.

And yes, you should be able to run the camera off of this.
Just check the power requirements on your camera to make sure.
Luis Caffesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2005, 07:29 AM   #326
Major Player

CAUTION! CAUTION! CAUTION!

Sorry for the caps, folks, but I would suggest that you hesitate before plugging into your car battery.

This is an INTERNATIONAL community. Therefore, some vehicles used by the inhabitants are 6 volt; some are 12 volt; and, some 24 volt.

If you do not have the know how, I would suggest that you check with an auto mechanic, and/or, an electrician for compatibility.
Old March 23rd, 2005, 08:00 AM   #327
Wrangler

Good advice Robert, but I think that the manufacturers would make versions specific to the geographic region they are meant for. I suspect that Europeans have power inverters that can take 6VDC to 220AC to use Luis's suggestion(I know others that do this same thing). It's not that difficult to make a different output voltage. Perhaps Rob L. or someone else can chime in from that part of the globe.

Barry, the Canon VL10 light will use its own Canon style battery so it won't be pulling from the main camera battery. There was one listed in the Private Classifieds recently that you might want to check into.

regards,

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2005, 05:42 PM   #328
Major Player

Greg.

Open the package up for your plug in. I have never yet seen a reference to variant volt systems world wide. Most of this stuff is sold generically. It might be made for local use. Than, again, it just may be for "sale" on the world wide market.

My whole point was that the folk's in the community might not understand that you and I might be savy; but, that they take what is writ in this forum as gospel.

When it comes to electrical connectors, when in doubt check it out……First!
Old March 23rd, 2005, 05:48 PM   #329
Major Player

"When it comes to electrical connectors, when in doubt check it out……First!"

Good advice Robert.
I'm sorry I didn't think to mention that myself.

The last thing I need is someone posting, 'I followed Luis's advice and now my XL2 is on fire!'
Luis Caffesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2005, 02:44 AM   #330
Major Player

Canon battery car charger for the XL1/XL1-s batteries:

CB-910 or CB-920

I have one and works perfect.

Best regards,
Arnaldo
Arnaldo Paixao is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog