Canon XL1 & XL1S Batteries / Battery Options - Page 12 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old January 24th, 2003, 02:00 PM   #166
Major Player

What about battery belts? Anyone had a good experience with one?

I used to use one a long time ago when I was real young with old Hi-8 cam, but it was a pain in the neck to get rid of memory effect. But guess times have changed as never had Li Ion then. or NiMH type with no memory effects. The bet just always gave you peace of mind that your tape would always run out before your batteries.
Christopher Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2003, 10:30 PM   #167
Major Player

battle of the batteries

I am leaning toward buying a set of power 2000 batteries for my camera.

Which 3rd party batteries and charger do you stand by?

Lenmar or Power 2000? Do both charge up on any charger?

Who has the fastest charger, and have you tried the mach 1 from lenmar?
John Threat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2003, 10:36 PM   #168
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Both batteries are excellent. Both are 100% BP-941/954 compatible.

I've never felt the need to use any 3rd party charger. For these little 7.2v batteries I've always felt that it would be a waste of money. But if I was inclined to do so I'd use Lenmar batteris with a Lenmar charger.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2003, 10:47 PM   #169
Warden

I use the Lenmar and the Mach 1 charger. It is very fast, (charges about 75% on 5500mah batter in 30 to 45 minutes) also charges my digital still batteries and comes with DC (cigarette lighter) connection cord. I've used them for about a year and couldn't be happier. I own several 5500mah batteries, so the quick charger is not that big of a deal for video. But it does great when my digital still camera starts going through the batteries.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2003, 11:38 AM   #170
Tourist

Battery Power Options

I need to know if there is a powerbelt available for the XL1-s in lieu of packing 3 or 4 batteries for an all day shoot. Please let me know if there is such a product or any other power solutions you may have. Thanks all.
tekksavyone@hotmail.com
Roger Apolinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2003, 01:19 PM   #171
Air China Pilot

ZGC sells an 'expedition battery'.

http://www.zgc.com/html/expedition_batteries.html

I'm interested in this one (never used it). I can vouch for ZGC service though. I ordered a mic from them on Wednesday and the shipping got it to me this morning. I've never had shipping that fast from a U.S. company (to Vancouver).
Old April 4th, 2003, 01:20 PM   #172
Warden

I've got a battery belt and 3 or 4 BP 941 (5500mah) equivalents. I would much rather carry the batteries and skip the belt. However, NRG makes great belts and I've used them for almost 15 years. The batteries are well built and very reliable. They are left over from my Betacam days. You will also need a convertor from NRG that steps the voltage down to the 7.2v needed by the XL1.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2003, 09:33 AM   #173
Capt. Quirk

Jan- I just checked out your site... I must say, I am very impressed by both the quantity and the quality of material. Nice job!
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2003, 10:02 AM   #174
ABCDV.com -- Top DV Resource

Thanks a lot!

And to add to this thread: I ordered from B&H in NY the following:

- Anton Bauer Gold Mount for XL1
- 2 Hytron 50 batteries (one of them should power the XL1 for 5 hours)
- one Titan 2 charger
- one Ultra Light 2
- one dichroic (daylight) filter
- one softbox for the UL2

All this for the sweet sum of 1800 USD ... Looking forward for the FedEx man to bring the goods. This should give me the convenience of having one battery powering my XL1 and an on camera light at the same time for several hours.

I'll keep you updated with an article on abcdv.com about this setup when I have used it. I couldn't find any uer reports, so that will be the only one there is online ;-)

Thanks,
Old May 27th, 2003, 09:44 PM   #175
Regular Crew

anton bauer

Jan:

Im using the anton bauer system on my camera right now, 2 proformers with the plate/charger that bh sells. I found its quite nice one of the big pluses is that it offers good counterbalance for the shoulder and as for onboard lights I have a frezzi mini fill w/ dimmer its made a real difference for nightime and low light. Altogether a good purchase you should be quite happy with it...and with the exchange rate on the euro right now :)

M
Michel Brewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2003, 09:52 PM   #176
Regular Crew

I have been shooting AB stuff now for over a year and I love it! I power my camera and light for entire wedding days which usually last around 6-10 hours long with only 2 batteries (digital trimpac 14's).

I bought the uni-pac belt to get the battery off the camera which helped me a lot. Great gear, a little on the pricey side but you get what you pay for!

I have had to deal with AB support as well, one word, AMAZING! These guys have stuff back to you so fast! No questions either, if it aint perfect, they replace it!

Chris
Chris Ferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2003, 11:27 AM   #177
Regular Crew

Power to the XL-1

I recently bought one of those 3rd party batteries you see on ebay for my xl1. This new battery is 7.4v not the 7.2. I am wondering if this might effect my camera eventually. If anyone can put my mind at ease on this I'd much appreciate it.

Thanks for any info in advance,
Bryan Coleman
Old June 8th, 2003, 11:48 AM   #178
Regular Crew

Battery power voltage

Stop!!! I wouldn't use that battery with 7.4v at least until I checked with Canon or another reputable facility. A company called NRG Research specializes in aftermarket power accessories. I'd give them a call first. They know all about the tolerances.

www.nrgresearch.com/
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2003, 02:22 PM   #179
Wrangler

What brand battery is it?

Check the terminal voltage on it and a conon battery when freshly charged? Are they about the same? ( i.e., around 8.3 volts). Is the battery Lithium ion? Does it have a mAhr rating in line with Canon batteries? Is it marketed and marked for use for the canon ? If all above it OK, you should be OK using it.
Old June 8th, 2003, 07:19 PM   #180
Regular Crew

Here are the specs...what do you think?

Specs
· DC 7.2V, (5400mAh) with no Memory Effect.
· Typical Operating time: about 7 hours 30 Minutes.
· Recharge the battery at any time without affecting its ability
to hold a full charge.
· NoMEM Lithium-Ion.
· Dimensions:2-3/4 x 1-1/2 x 2-3/8
· Fits on Canon MV1, MV200, MV200i, GL1, ES-60, ES-65,
ES-420v, ES-4000, ES-5000, ES-6000, ES-7000, ES-8200v,
Optura, Optura P1, XL1, XM1, UC-V10Hi, UC-V20Hi, V30Hi,
V100, V200, V300, X1Hi, X2Hi, X20Hi, X30Hi, X40Hi.
· CANON BP-945 equivalent.

And its a Lithium

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog