Canon XL1 & XL1S Batteries / Battery Options - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old July 19th, 2002, 12:42 PM   #106
Air China Pilot

Using adaptor same time as charging battery?

Quick question: Can I use the AC adaptor at the same time as the battery is being charged?
Keith Loh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2002, 12:43 PM   #107
Air China Pilot

I'm a dumbass

Never mind. I'm a dumb ass. The battery will not be charged as long as I have the adaptor plugged into the charger part.
Old July 20th, 2002, 12:12 AM   #108
Obstreperous Rex

And that stinks, doesn't it. Wouldn't it be great if the AC adapter charged a battery and powered the camera at the same time?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2002, 10:08 AM   #109
Air China Pilot

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Hurd : And that stinks, doesn't it. Wouldn't it be great if the AC adapter charged a battery and powered the camera at the same time? -->>>

Indeed. I can understand this *slowing* the charging of the battery but ...

I guess if I do this often enough I will either need more batteries or another AC adaptor. That's pretty far down on my list.
Old July 20th, 2002, 12:10 PM   #110
Major Player

Hi,

I WOULD NOT TRY it but I would bet that it would work....for a short while.

What disables the charging circuit is the plug on the charger when you plug in the camcorders adaptor. It appears to merely switch the available power from the battery to the camcorder. To disable this switch (like when you plug in earphones and the speaker switches off) I bet would leave both circuits running simultaneously. The problem would be that I would not think that the circuit was designed to deliver the amount of current required for both operations. It would have been so easy to have it do so at the design stage. If the use of the camcorder is intermittent and the load on the unit is minimal it may well work????

Don't try, these things get pricey.

Cheers
Andrew

TOTAL AMATEUR - DOING IT FOR THE FUN
Andrew Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2002, 02:22 PM   #111
Warden

I was searching for an extra battery charger about 6 months ago and came across the Lenmar Mach1 http://www.lenmar.com/Video/Chargers/msc1.asp The $99 in the ad is list if you buy it direct. I paid around $40.00 (on-line) and another $10 for the adapter to do the XL1 batteries. It also comes with a car adapter and adapters to do many different batteries. It works great. Charging times seem quicker than the standard Canon charger and after 6 months use my batteries seem fine.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2002, 03:54 PM   #112
Wrangler

There's a lot more to charging Lith batteries these days. Part of the reason for this is so that the charging circuit can monitor the recharge process.

Both Lemar and Maha make universal chargers. The Maha, comes as 12 volt charger and then uses adapters for wall power. This allows you to go put your battery in the car or wall power...your choice.

I haven't looked for this model specifically, but they have advertised them as universal, so I am assuming that includes the XL-1 packs.

Nathan Gifford
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2002, 03:55 PM   #113
New Boot

Battery Packs

I have a Starvision 7 inch LCD monitor for my XL1s but have no portable powerpack for it. I am trying to find 12V battery packs but am having little luck.
Anyone have a link to what I need?
I've tried all over town.
blugill69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2002, 04:34 PM   #114
Warden

I know of two good quality belts, NRG Research http://www.nrgresearch.com/cat.html and Bescor http://www.bescor.com/menu_battery.htm Zotz Digital probably carries one or the other http://www.zotzdigital.com/ Give them a try they help sponsor the site.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2002, 04:49 PM   #115
Major Player

It might help to know where your located!

Bruce
B. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2002, 08:25 PM   #116
New Boot

Oklahoma.
Thanks fo rthe links! Will investigate!
blugill69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2002, 07:37 AM   #117
Regular Crew

Greetings

I have an adapter that allows you to use the regular XL1 batteries to power your monitor. It works great and keeps me from having one other wire hanging from my XL1. You can find more info on the Watchdog.

Here is the link to the site.
http://www.nebtek.com/5inch/NEB50Xl%20page.html

I used velcro to attach the unit to the monitor. It works perfect. It is kind of nice only having to have one type of battery, and chargers.
www.katanapro.com
Marcus Farrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2002, 07:03 AM   #118
Major Player

About that TFT

What are the specs on it? I've found some good prices on car TFTs, it's probably a more cost-effective solution to the more expensive camera-mounted TFTs available, the only draw back would be the lack of a shoe-mount, and the power source (spliced wires).

The cheapest I've seen specifically for cameras is from Varizoom, but I'm not too keen on lead acid batteries.

Has anyone gone this (car TV) route?
Old September 15th, 2002, 12:14 PM   #119
New Boot

Although several battery packs will work (ie Nebtek and others) they tend to be expensive. For a cheap solution try the Varizoom battery pack for their monitors (around $65 with charger). It looks and feels like an old Sony NP1 or a regular laptop battery and works well with starvision 5.6 and 7 inch TFT LCD screens. Almost any rechargable battery with 12volts and between 750 and 1200 milliamps will also work fine.
Ron
TravelReview@Hotmail.com
Travelreview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2002, 02:26 AM   #120
Regular Crew

Battery life?

Having listened to the advice posted to others on here (the search facility is really useful) I bought the Sennheiser ew100 wireless system and changed the 'on board' XL1 microphone with a Sennheiser MKE 300. I have just reviewed the footage of my first shoot and the improvement is significant - so thanks to everyone who has in the past recommended these mics.

I was shooting a long operation and the battery in the ew100 receiver went down after about five hours and needed to be changed. Interestingly the transmitter was OK, although the low battery light was flashing, which was fortunate as it was under the sterile gown of a surgeon :-) So I learned the lesson to replace the batteries for each shoot!

Anyway, my question is has anyone any idea how many hours the button battery on the MKE300 will last - or should I replace this after every days shooting?

Regards to all

Ross
Ross Milligan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog