Canon XL1 & XL1S Batteries / Battery Options - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old March 15th, 2002, 05:59 PM   #61
Machinist Mate

Glad you got the Frezzi, zchildress, I still haven't got any closer to getting barn doors for mine. Prolly will call B&H when I get around to it.

Hey, on that 6-hour battery, how long must that puppy take to recharge? It takes long enough for my 2-hour to top up with the wimpy little charger Canon gives you.
Old April 1st, 2002, 08:14 PM   #62
kasteede

Can I charge this battery in the Canon charger and will it give me the usuall indications ie (one blink - nearly empty, three blinks - nearly charged)

thanks
Keith
Old April 1st, 2002, 08:56 PM   #63
Obstreperous Rex

Keith -- yes you can and yes it does -- this is how I'm charging my own LenMar by the way.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2002, 07:54 AM   #64
Major Player

Battery Options

www.aspenelectronics.com, mentioned in another thread, offer a 12V to 8V battery converter that will allow XL1/GL1 cameras to be powered by 12V batteries while at the same time providing 12V pass-through to power other camera mounted accessories. Item number is XL7A. Check the New Products page.
Old April 20th, 2002, 09:37 AM   #65
Major Player

Hi Ed,

If one could find a source for Canon batteries (before they put the batteries in) anyone on the forum could build one of these adapters for next to nothing. There is no rocket science in this. Aspen Electronics charge US 125. The components I doubt would cost more than US25.

Chris H should we look at providing a circuit for the Watchdog.

Regards
Andrew

TOTAL AMATEUR - DOING IT FOR THE FUN
Andrew Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2002, 11:20 AM   #66
Obstreperous Rex

Howdy from Texas,

Here's my take on it. The type of shooter who would most likely benefit from being able to use a pro NP-style 12v brick battery is a professional shooter, i.e. one who does it for money. $125 should represent no more than two hours of billable work... for some of us, just one hour or even less.

You could conceivably go to the trouble of locating the battery housing, buying the connectors, obtaining the circuitry and cobbling up such an adapter on your workbench, but how much time and trouble does that represent? Would it be worth that kind of slice out of your life when you could be shooting (and billing) instead.

I was in the Canon booth at NAB when Aspen brought that adapter over for us to look at. The Aspen guy asked my friend Mike Mount of Canon USA, "what would you pay for that?" Mike responded, "about $125." The Aspen guy said, "that's exactly what it costs." Personally I think $125 is a more than reasonable price for that adapter.

I would rather charge a couple of billable shooting hours to make $125, order it and have it here in the next day or two than spend my free time building one. But that's just my own nature I guess. I suppose my point is, if this is something you really need, just buy it; otherwise do without it. Perhaps I've finally succumbed to consumerism but life is just too short to be meddling with work-arounds just to get over a measly hundred bucks.

Very sorry but that's my opinion, much respect to anybody who actually *does* build their own, and if you come up with the circuitry then yes I'll put it on the website. Frankly I'm just happy that Aspen even bothered with making this available and as I said for a piece of pro gear, $125 is next to nothing.

Old April 20th, 2002, 11:36 AM   #67
Major Player

Hi Chris,

no need to apologise for your opinion. You are right, sometimes it is not worth the effort, spend the money.

I am the "problem". Firstly I love tinkering in my workshop making things and secondly with our currency being so weak US 125 is a lot more money in S.A. than in US.

I am nearly finshed with my "steadicam", almost entirely made from machined aluminium. Initial testing looks good. Hoping to have it complete by July.

Cheers
Andrew

TOTAL AMATEUR - DOING IT FOR THE FUN
Andrew Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2002, 11:50 AM   #68
Major Player

I thought this particular adapter might be of interest because I remember several months ago, someone was trying to figure out how to power camera, light, lcd, wireless etc. all from one battery. This item might be just what they were looking for. Some of the batteries offered by this company also have ports for accessories built into the battery housing. (At least I think that's what I read)
Old April 20th, 2002, 04:30 PM   #69
Regular Crew

I know its not the most economical solution but the Anton Bauer setup is very nice. It gives you the option to run several different types of batteries and it also has a 12v power tap so you can power your on-camera light as well. The biggest improvment was how stable the camera became after putting the AB rig on it, without he OIS, the stability has improved 10 fold! With the OIS on its hard to tell you arent shooting from a tripod. I also like their 3 year warrany for the batteries, if for any reason they dont last as long as they did new, send 'em in.

Chris
Chris Ferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2002, 02:42 AM   #70
RED Code Chef

Anyone tried these (ZGC) batteries?

Hey gang...

Anyone ever used these batteries? Are they as good
as those 7,5 - 10 hour lenmar (?) batteries?

http://www.zgc.com/html/expedition_batteries.html

Does ZGC also ship overseas? I'm thinking of buying
a package from them with all sort of stuff in it.

Thanks!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2002, 08:14 AM   #71
Major Player

Hi Rob,

I remember seeing these batteries when I purchased equipment from ZGC several months ago. I never asked, but from reading the information on them and considering the price, I suspect they are not rechargable. Note the "long shelf life" and "disposable" wording in the description. I also noted that ZGC does not offer a charger for these batteries. Again, I may be totally wrong about this. Wouldn't be the first time.

Additional information can be found at:

http://www.automatedmedia.com/index.html
Old April 27th, 2002, 06:44 PM   #72
stvlive1

battery charger left on

Im not sure if this is a silly question but it says nothing in the manual about it.
how long can you leave a battery charging for after the red light
stops flicking and glows?.
say I switch the charger on and disappear for 6/9 hours and come back and the battery will be fully charged is there any damage to either the battery or charger. Or perhaps if I switch it on over night.
I might just be a little over anxious
thanks
Old April 27th, 2002, 06:58 PM   #73
Obstreperous Rex

Howdy from Texas,

Nothing to worry about. You won't hurt these lithium-ion batteries if you leave 'em on the charger all day. The old lead-acid style batteries would suffer, but not these. I wouldn't leave them sitting on the charger for several days or anything, but I wouldn't worry about anything less than 48 hours or so. Hope this helps,

Old April 28th, 2002, 11:56 AM   #74
Quantum Productions

Chris is correct. I've been leaving batteries on all night (because I'm too tired to get up from sleeping!) for years now and the same batteries are still going strong!
Old April 29th, 2002, 08:05 AM   #75
Sponsor: ZGC

The Expedition batteries can be recharged, but the solar chargers are extremely expensive. ZGC chose to market the batteries as long-running alternative batteries to Canon's that can be used for projects out in remote and very cold areas for camera operators without a huge budget. -- You're on top of a mountain in the snow somewhere, you've got a Portabrace Polar Bear cover on your camera, but that extra Canon battery in your pack just froze up. With the Expedition battery you've got hours of running time on one battery that's good to go in extreme cold. Once spent, you can toss it (in an appropriate receptacle, of course) and not worry about toxicity issues.

Yes! ZGC ships overseas all the time.
Barbara Lowry is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog