Grey market with 4yr extended warranty - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old August 3rd, 2002, 07:10 AM   #16
Slash Rules!

Ah, all right. Maybe I didn't get screwed too much after all. What does the XL1s typically run these days? I've seen it advertised a lot for $3300, and I don't know if this is the bait price or if it's legit.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2002, 03:19 AM   #17
rokahn99

Sony PD150 successfully purchased

Just received Sony PD150 from Citywide Digital (citywidedigital.com) for $3229

B&H quoted $3450 but none in-stock

Adorama quoted $3550

I use Pricescan.com to find low prices but the lowest quotes were from disreputable merchants doing a bait-and-switch. For example, Digital Liquidators (digitalliquidators.com) advertised their USA version of the camera for $2700 but after getting me on the phone for a bit 'discovered' that their PD150's were already in bundles so I had to buy another $1300 of ambiguously described accessories or I couldn't get the camera for a while.

After reading horror stories, I've decided to avoid Mack extended warranties and RepairTech seems like Mack but lacks any feedback (pro or con). Sony offers an extended warranty
Sony Extended Warranty Center: (800) 378-4590
This turns out to be an independent company, AON, but since it's marketed by Sony, it might be a little better. $274.95 for additional 3yrs. This is transferrable for no fee and includes parts and labor. Need to purchase before mfgr's warranty expires (1yr).

Decided to go for USA version despite the price differential (advertised as low as $2200) because I didn't want to be stuck without support and my MasterCard standard extended warranty would double the 1yr parts and labor mfgr warranty to 2yrs, but only if it had an original USA warranty. One might try to argue that one could buy a 2yr warranty from Mack for a few hundred but I value a Sony warranty MUCH more than one from Mack and the MasterCard extension is just as valuable as the Sony one since I can send it directly to Sony for repairs.

Cheers

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog