Shooting footage on mini-dv, then what? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old November 8th, 2002, 02:41 PM   #1
gateway1

Shooting footage on mini-dv, then what?

I need to transfer it to Beta sp.....will I loose some picture quality if i do this?
Old November 8th, 2002, 03:48 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Each time video is duplicated through an analog connection (even component video) it loses some quality. How much gets lost depends a lot on how vigilant the video facility is when the dub is made. Some facilities have better equipment than others, and some are better staffed than others.

I've had dubs made with white levels exceeding 100 IRE, audio EQ and levels tweaked and messed up, etc. One facility took nearly a half-hour just to figure out how to connect one deck to another. I finally bit the bullet and bought a Betacam deck to ensure the master tapes are done properly for the cable show I work on, and it made a big difference. This cable station will require all shows to be submitted on Betacam SP for the next five years so the investment was justified. But I wish I could have spent the money on something else!

Dean Sensui
Base Two Productions
Old November 15th, 2002, 03:27 PM   #3
gateway1

Lets say I shoot some stuff and then want to use the firewall and send it straight to the computer, that would be a lot of footage to transfer wouldnt it?

IS there a short cut of some kind? Kinda like pre-editing? But if so then wouldnt that be risky to use the heads in the camera liek that?
Old November 15th, 2002, 04:22 PM   #4
Regular Crew

A firewire DV transfer is designed to run at 1X tape speed, either direction. So if you have 10 hours of tape to transfer to your computer, yes, it will take 10 hours.

If you can't deal with that, look into products like the Firestore that capture DV footage straight to hard drive live during the filming, instead of to tape.
Brian M. Dickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2002, 06:09 PM   #5
New Boot

Direct to hard disk? DSR-DU1

For those who hate transfering from tape to computer, Sony has recently come up with the tiny DSR-DU1 which is a 40gb hard disk that can be attached to the camera, making data files which can be read by Premiere, FCP and some other NLE apps. At the same time, you are making a copy to DV tape!
The Firestore option seems good, but requires the unit plus an external HD, reducing it's portability. The DU1 is tiny (palm size) and looks very sweet! And is isn't so expensive (about $2200??) when one considers the time saved by not having to digitize and the bonus of having a backup tape copy that is in sync with the HD.
However, how well does the Sony work with Canon XL1 etc.? Obviously it would require it's own battery, rather than using the Canon's. (When attached to some Sony Pro cams, it can be used with a battery that powers both the unit and the camcorder - not the prosumer ones, yet). But does the lanc on the Canon sync the HD of the DU1? Any other problems I may not be aware of?

Thanks,

Ken Barnes
Ken Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2002, 08:20 AM   #6
Wrangler

One shortcut involves your NLE. Many times you do not need to copy all your to the computer. Some NLEs allow you to specify what segments you want and then execute a batch capture.

It is still captured at the speed of the cam's tape drive, but you do not have to be there while that is happening.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog