Ok, This Really Upsetting Me! - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old May 9th, 2007, 12:40 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
The days of the XL1S have long since passed by. I think you should seriously consider moving into anything, Canon, Sony or whatever, that was made less than two years ago. New would be even better. Hope this helps,

Those words make me sad.
Well anyway my XL1s did the same thing when it was new (about 2 hrs on it) back in early 2004. I was shooting a wedding and when I reviewed the footage I could not believe it. At the time I did not have a back up camera but luckily this footage was not crucial. I now run a cleaning tape before any important event and I'm going to add fastforwarding and rewinding the tape beforehand as well.
Rene Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2007, 01:11 PM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Mayne View Post
Are these the tapes you are referring too? Any one else have any input? I don't really want to switch to Sony tapes if do not have too
100's of hours on my old XL-1s with Sony stock (yeah, blue ones). Few drop outs. Barely cleaned the thing. But the sitting around for a few years thing and running a tape back and forth - yeah, ok - I'll buy that.

I have a JVC HD250 and within the first 5 hours I had similar issues. I have two tape types - Panasonic and JVC Pro HD stuff. I was told they spin off from the master reel...
Old May 9th, 2007, 01:43 PM   #33
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Mayne View Post
All I had to do (and Chris you were right) was since the camera sat in the closet for an extended length of time was to stick a tape in and rewind and fast forward a tape five or six times to break everything in and as of today when I picked it up it seemed to work.
That was my point about NOS camcorders (new old stock). Since you bought an unused XL1S, that's exactly what you have -- new old stock -- and as you found out, years of inactivity can cause problems with the tape transport. For anybody who is storing a camcorder long term, it's a good idea to cycle a tape all the way to the end and rewind it again about once a month or so to avoid this kind of trouble.

Glad to hear it's working out for you.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2007, 02:13 PM   #34
Inner Circle

Chris's comments remind me of one other point.

All of those nice shiny metal parts would probably be just fine after a brief clean-up to remove any dust and vapor applied stuff that have built up over the years of inactivity. But, what can deteriorate without hope for cleaning is the rubber parts, such as pinch rollers. They don't just get dirty, they break down. These rollers maintain proper tension and such on the tapes and could be the cause of your problems Jeff. They were always the biggest problem with the old 8-track music players, if any of you are old enough to remember them and also with cassette players too. They caused all of those tapes to get "eaten."

The rollers tend to do one of two things, get harder and slip, or they break down and get sticky which will cause the tape to try to wrap around the roller itself. Perhaps you can have just them checked out and changed. They will/would/may improve with usage and glaze removal, but better to have them checked out.

Good luck!

Mike
Old May 26th, 2007, 02:15 PM   #35
Regular Crew

WOW!!! Canon suprised me; I purchased my camera, joined Canon's XL club and they gave me a year of warranty, so they worked on my camera for free and said if I have any other issues to send it in and they would work on it for free for the next year. I got it back yesterday and so far it works great!
Old May 27th, 2007, 02:00 PM   #36
Trustee

Welcome to the club ;)
Old May 27th, 2007, 09:23 PM   #37
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
On something that's practically antique status such as this camcorder, I'd say the only viable, practical thing to do with it is to get it into Canon service right away. They can make these problems go away and turn an XL1S into a usable camcorder again.

The days of the XL1S have long since passed by...
Reading that made me wince and smile at the same time! There’s one perk to still using these “near antiques.” Last week I was standing near a high precipice wanting to shoot some rappelling SWAT guys for inclusion in a recruiting video. The firemen in charge couldn’t let me so I just tossed my XL1s to the one guy and he taped for me. If I had the XH A1 I’m hoping to buy one of these days I wonder if I would have been so quick to hand it over and allow it to hang over a drop like that. I know for a fact I wouldn’t have let a new camera eat all the dust we kicked up in that desert. :)

If we work at it hard enough we can still get some pretty good images out of these ol’ dinosaurs, though, I think mine are finally on their last legs.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog