Magma + Intensity Pro + Laptop: which laptop? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old May 31st, 2008, 04:07 AM   #16
Major Player

Hi Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Zhang View Post
I just arised a sneaking suspicion that NTSC 60i will be harder to encode than PAL 50i on a Laptop. Maybe the wait for lower priced Penryn Quad-cores should be a good one.
Jack.Cannot alleviate the suspicion for you I am afraid.All I can say is my laptop flies with Cineform up to Film Scan two which is processor intensive and it has room to breathe.You may have to ask Cineform whether it takes that much more to encode 60i.You can wait I guess but I need to shoot now.The Cineform recorder is coming,Convergent Designs XDR,so is Scarlet as is Nanoflash and in a few months perhaps it would have been better to have waited.From my perspective if I can get it to work now and it can earn me money now...well - you know the rest.

Last edited by Henry Olonga; May 31st, 2008 at 10:08 AM.
Henry Olonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2008, 04:36 AM   #17
Major Player

More Footage with bittorent file of original footage - 2.1 Gigs

Some more footage from yesterday.The swan at the beginning just jumps at you in full res on my Bravia full HD monitor.I think the expense and effort of HDMI is worth it.

http://www.vimeo.com/1095616

And I have also Added a zipped torrent that includes 2.1 gigabytes of unedited Full HD 1920 X 1080 files for your critical analysis.Let me know what you think
Attached Files
File Type: zip Cineform Videos for Bittorrent - Henry Olonga.zip (22.7 KB, 83 views)

Last edited by Henry Olonga; May 31st, 2008 at 10:06 AM.
Old May 31st, 2008, 12:02 PM   #18
Inner Circle

You can still encode to Vimeo in 1920x1080 and it will downscale the web HD version, but your original WMV will remain untouched at 1920 and free to be downloaded. I don't have Cineform so can you re-upload to Vimeo a 1080p version? (In video options, there is a "replace file" option.)
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2008, 03:40 PM   #19
Trustee

Jack, Cineform provides *free* player that plays out any Cineform-encoded file, as I understand.
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2008, 06:36 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Yes, but I do not wish to register any information to download it. I expect to download a file and simply play it.
Old June 2nd, 2008, 02:25 AM   #21
Major Player

Jack

I am sure that Vimeo does only 1280 X 720 and in my mind there is an obvious difference compared to the pixel for pixel 1920 X 1080.How obvious is subjective but the compression to other formats from cineform loses some quality as well.
To register for Cineform player is relatively simple.But if it hassles you and we can find an alternative to host the files in Full res - let me know.

I thought that the torrent route is best as the files do not get transcoded in any way.Can do Vimeo downscaled but that won't give you a clear indication of the performance of the codec in certain circumstances.I have 11 files form the other day 4 at the sea with waves.And the swans swimming around which are really good at full res.Waves I am sure would test most codecs to the hilt and when I have downscaled to other codecs to upload the quality is greatly diminished and the usual artifacts appear.I also have some leaves - a different clip from the other day and the detail is very good.
Perhaps I shall upload the unedited clips to Vimeo.
Old June 2nd, 2008, 07:02 AM   #22
Trustee

By testing, I found that *intense traffic* taxes the codecs more than anything else I could throw at the cameras, including waterfalls etc.

Just make sure you're zoomed in so the car's length fills the frame.

Manhattan street corner traffic does it. Cars moving in different directions; people going back and forth; multi-directional movements with variable speeds within a frame.

V1U's MPEG25 (? I think) codec falls apart with the usual blocky artifacts very quickly on this kind of footage.
Old June 2nd, 2008, 11:23 AM   #23
Regular Crew

A more elegant and cheaper solution to the expensive Magma is if you get a Thinkpad laptop (I just got a T61p top of the line for $1300 (T9300 2.5 and Quadro FX 570m), one of the few laptops "certfied" by Avid) is the Advanced Dock that lenovo makes for their laptops.

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkPa.../dp/B000BTN1EC

It can house a PCI express card like intensity and has ultrabay slot for popping in a 2nd hard drive.
I haven't actually tried it myself but I'm serioiusly considering it. And since the laptop locks into the dock it would be more "portable" than carrying around the Magma, a second hard drive, power cables, etc.
Eric Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2008, 11:44 AM   #24
Trustee

Eric, if this works, it'd really be way better than Magma.

Interestingly, it still would be about the same size and weight as my current setup with microATX mobo + Core2Duo 3Ghz in the slim InWin case. (and it seems like my cost is significantly lower, too.)

Granted, your setup has laptop screen while mine has none, relying on the external monitor instead.

But I still would need a large screen to monitor the camera focus.
Old June 2nd, 2008, 11:54 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Alex you may not need an external monitor, the resolution on the Lenovo T61p is 1920x1200 (this is what sold me on the laptop), granted it is only a 15.4 inch screen.
Eric Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2008, 12:04 PM   #26
Trustee

How would I feed that laptop with the HDMI signal out of camera?

My current setup is a HDTV that accepts both HDMI signal from Intensity's HDMI Out loop; and VGA computer signal on the other port, to display PC screen. Both are displayed full-screen. Since it's a TV, it removes 2:3 pulldown from my HDMI signal on-the-fly.

Current widescreen monitor size is 20". I'd actually want a Larger, not smaller screen, since there are practical shooting situations when you need to see it from across the room etc.; and even at short distance, it'd be better to have a 24" monitor with pixel-for-pixel mapping. (Looking for that now actually.)
Old June 2nd, 2008, 05:18 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Olonga View Post
I am sure that Vimeo does only 1280 X 720 and in my mind there is an obvious difference compared to the pixel for pixel 1920 X 1080.How obvious is subjective but the compression to other formats from cineform loses some quality as well.
To register for Cineform player is relatively simple.But if it hassles you and we can find an alternative to host the files in Full res - let me know.

I thought that the torrent route is best as the files do not get transcoded in any way.Can do Vimeo downscaled but that won't give you a clear indication of the performance of the codec in certain circumstances.I have 11 files form the other day 4 at the sea with waves.And the swans swimming around which are really good at full res.Waves I am sure would test most codecs to the hilt and when I have downscaled to other codecs to upload the quality is greatly diminished and the usual artifacts appear.I also have some leaves - a different clip from the other day and the detail is very good.
Perhaps I shall upload the unedited clips to Vimeo.
You do not need to downscale. You can upload a 1920x1080 WMV and the web player will process and downscale to 720p and the original 1920x1080 WMV will be available for download untouched. You could also try 2-pass VBR encoding to increase quality while keeping filesizes low. Also keep in mind that 1080 needs at a minimum of 8Mbps and the optimum is in the tens of megabits. If you insist on 720 for Vimeo, can you re-encode the same video in 1080 WMV and ask Chris Hurd to host it here?

Here's one of my 1920x1080 uploads to Vimeo: http://www.vimeo.com/790103
As you can see, it is 720 on the web player and you can still download the original full 1920x1080 version.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 02:49 PM   #28
Major Player

1920 X 1080

Jack you are a legend.Will do that in the next couple days then.I also own the HC7 and it does take a pretty pic - looking at your vids.British Columbia is very beautiful.Best to you.
Henry
Old June 11th, 2008, 03:46 AM   #29
Inner Circle

I just saw your most recent video and I still see you're using a bitrate below 8mbps, Vegas supports direct 2-pass WMV encoding at either quality or bitrate medians. No external process is required to create 2-pass, both passes occur in the same render.

Also, as I said on Vimeo, try to find a high-end de-interlacer like Magic Bullet before editing to process into progressive files to edit with.
Old June 11th, 2008, 07:58 AM   #30
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Zhang View Post
Itry to find a high-end de-interlacer like Magic Bullet before editing to process into progressive files to edit with.

...or, use a progressive camera to acquire images in the first place.

Sony V1U is inexpensive and works great.
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase