1080i -> SD MPEG2 in PPro v2 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old May 27th, 2006, 08:52 AM   #16
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Alan,

"uncompressed video format is 8 bit YUV422" means interlaced.
"uncompressed video format is 8 bit YUV422 progressive" means progressive.

So your having a difference issue. That is why I asked if you saw "progressive" -- sorry I wasn't clearer on where to look.

So do you think you are seeing reversed fields, such that motion goes forward then backward for jumping forward again? Or are you seeing 30p, motion not as smooth as it should be because it is only updating a 30Hz rather than the expected 60Hz (for 60i). I may need to see a short sample.
Old May 27th, 2006, 10:47 AM   #17
Regular Crew

David, the registry fix did solve the problem of wavy output when scaling from HD to SD. But it created another problem.

It seems I'm unable to play in the program monitor window. I can scrub, but the play button does nothing -- it just sits there. In fact I duplicated this problem on a second machine after installing AHD 4.1.1 and running ForceInterlaced.reg. (Both of these machines were able to play AVI files using WMP so I know it wasn't a monitor setting that had changed). I tried running the ForceInterlacedOff.reg and also having PP2.0 restart all plugins, but neither fixed the problem with playing in the timeline.

What did solve the problem was to uninstall AHD 4.1.1 and then reinstall. I didn't run either of the ForcedInterlaced scripts but now I can play from the timeline. Also SD output is not wavy so evidently the registry settings must have remained in place.

Just thought I'd pass this along in case anyone else had problems.
Patricia Lamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2006, 10:50 AM   #18
CTO, CineForm Inc.

There isn't a relationship between the registry control and playback, so I have no clue what happened.
Old May 27th, 2006, 10:59 AM   #19
Regular Crew

What about a relationship between registry control and the way AHD works (for me this just showed up in playback -- maybe other things were messed up too)? It seems like AHD got corrupted in some way and the reinstall fixed everything. Anyway, I'm happy now so the reason doesn't matter to me so much!
Patricia Lamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2006, 02:50 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman
Alan,

"uncompressed video format is 8 bit YUV422" means interlaced.
"uncompressed video format is 8 bit YUV422 progressive" means progressive.

So your having a difference issue. That is why I asked if you saw "progressive" -- sorry I wasn't clearer on where to look.

So do you think you are seeing reversed fields, such that motion goes forward then backward for jumping forward again? Or are you seeing 30p, motion not as smooth as it should be because it is only updating a 30Hz rather than the expected 60Hz (for 60i). I may need to see a short sample.
David, thanks for the continued help. I've tried to determine the answer to your question but Ilm unsure how to determine the answer defintively. I'm assuming if the update frequency (50Hz in the UK) was too low then I would get a sort of stop motion effect rather than the jitter I see now. Not sure if it helps but to try and show you what I get. The following link is a frame grab of the DVD (taken from PowerDVD v5). There's a clear 'ghosting'. http://www.alandmills.co.uk/jittery_image.jpg (a little CSI spoof hence my kids lying on the floor with gunshot wounds!).

I thought I followed the FAQ closely but over the next day or so I willmake sure I re-export and re-build the DVD as per the FAQ tomake sure I did not mistakenly change the fiel order. Upper field first for PAL right?
Alan Mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2006, 06:49 PM   #21
CTO, CineForm Inc.

That image has the field mixed to produce a 25P result, which is why it is not totally smooth. Now why this is happen I'm not sure. Can you do a frame grab from the CineForm AVI that you import into Encore to determine if that is interlaced?
Old May 30th, 2006, 05:45 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
That image has the field mixed to produce a 25P result, which is why it is not totally smooth. Now why this is happen I'm not sure. Can you do a frame grab from the CineForm AVI that you import into Encore to determine if that is interlaced?
I don't have this in front of me (at work) so will endevor to do this asap. However, the right click in Premiere on the imported asset gives me the "uncompressed video format is 8 bit YUV422" statement which, sort of, indicates that it is interlaced doesn't it?

Although I have to admit I've not noticed any 'combing' since capturing so I'm now wondering if I've simply had a mad moment and captured it with the wrong settings.
Old May 30th, 2006, 10:30 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mills
I don't have this in front of me (at work) so will endevor to do this asap. However, the right click in Premiere on the imported asset gives me the "uncompressed video format is 8 bit YUV422" statement which, sort of, indicates that it is interlaced doesn't it?

Although I have to admit I've not noticed any 'combing' since capturing so I'm now wondering if I've simply had a mad moment and captured it with the wrong settings.
Ok, I tried and failed here. I cannot capture a frame from within Media Player. Doesn't seem to work for video overlay. So I'll describe what I see.

When playing the captured file in Media Player a freeze frame has no comb like effect I normally see on intrelaced footage. I guess I would almost describe it as a motion blur of the movement taking place.

Viewing the souce when imported into Premiere2 it look sjust as it does in the screen shot I've already linked.

So what does this mean then? Does the fault lie in the capture? Is it correctable?
Old May 30th, 2006, 10:35 AM   #24
CTO, CineForm Inc.

I need a screen grab. Download VirtualDub here : http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/v...5.zip?download You can use this tool to extract a frame (or simply grab the screen and it will work.)
Old May 30th, 2006, 11:04 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Hmm, what a difference to correct s/w makes. http://www.alandmills.co.uk/Source_image.jpg certainly looks like it's interlaced now.
Old May 30th, 2006, 11:55 AM   #26
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Yes, this means your source is good. So now you need to work out where in the processing chain the fields get munged. Export this clip from Premiere as 720x480 16x9 (1.2 pixel aspect, bottom field first) and load that new SD clip in VirtualDub to confirm the interlacing is still there.
Old May 30th, 2006, 04:05 PM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
I do believe the AME is a lot better, and it may do the trick for direct DVD encoding now. However, you do need to check the progressive vs interlace status of your clips, because that can mess things up.

Paul, the properties panel : right click on the clip and select "Properties".
Thanks David, I have found it, but it just says Cineform Visually Perfect File detail: Contains 1 video and 1 audio track, Frame rate is 29.97fps and frame size is 720x480 and "Uncompressed Video Format is 8bit YUV422" NO mention of progressive or interlaced. This is of the file that I converted with CF to AVI. But now the AVI file - when viewed w Windows Media Player has LOTS of interlacing artifacts, So I have yet to make a DVD from it - (actually I tried but PPRO - after several hours was "unable, bit rate too high (8000-6000-4000). However in Sony DVD architect, I can make DVD's with even higher bit rates (9000-6000-4000).

What is AME - Adobe Media Encoder? Doesn't Adobe use the same Main Concept media encoder as Sony DVD Architect? Is AME better? If so, why can't I get it to encode at 9Mbps?

Thanks David!

Last edited by Paul Kepen; May 30th, 2006 at 04:36 PM.
Paul Kepen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2006, 04:36 PM   #28
Major Player

More Info for poor old David :)

Sorry - double post
Old May 30th, 2006, 04:54 PM   #29
Major Player

More Info for poor old David :)

when I play the original clips, as capture w Aspect, in WMP, there are no interlacing artifacts. 1440x1080 Uncompressed Video is 8bit YUV422. I tried downloading the ScreenGrab utility you refered Alan to, but Internet was busy 'unabe, try again'. Looking at his screen grab though, I would say that my clip (made to 720x480 avi per the Cineform FAQ) looks like Alan's "Sourceimage .jpg, NOT like his jittery image .jpg Properties still show Uncompressed Video is 8bit YUV422. Thanks - PK
Old May 30th, 2006, 05:26 PM   #30
CTO, CineForm Inc.

I'm not going to make any suggestions until I see images, as "interlaced artifacts" are misunderstood by most people -- what some people call an error is correct interlacing. For normal tech support file a trouble ticket at www.cineform.com/support.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase