7Q vs 7Q+ new vs used? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old December 20th, 2015, 07:17 AM   #1
Major Player

7Q vs 7Q+ new vs used?

Hey!

I'm looking to buy a 7Q. Was hoping to find a used 7Q+ but now that I have the money they don't show up on eBay or elsewhere (here in Europe). The non-plus ones seem to show up a bit more regularly but not so often either. With an non-plus I could also not use it with my A7S.
I could swing a new 7Q+ but with the added cost of the license and battery plates etc etc I would really be totally broke after the purchase. A new one would also give me the security of warranty etc, as it's really a lot of money to me, I'm a bit scared of buying used. How's the 7Qs holding up? Are they prone to breaking down? And do you have to send them to the states if they need service?

What's your guys suggestion, try to find a used 7Q or go for a new 7Q+?
It's more of a want thing than a necessity. Financially I hope it will lead to better paid jobs but that's no guarantee and will at least take long before it generates money back. But from a personal/artistic point I really want it.

And anyone have suggestions of good dealers in Europe? ProKit in the UK has the 7Q+ listed for under €2000 which is €600 less than anywhere else, how can that be? (but claiming 2-3 weeks before shipping)

Sorry for the rambling... Suffering from a scare to spend this much money unwisely ;)
Old December 20th, 2015, 08:36 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: 7Q vs 7Q+ new vs used?

If you don't need it, it's always "unwise" to spend that kind of money. The purchase of the 7Q is one thing but batteries, media, brackets and those kind of things make the price go up and before you know you need to spend 5 to 600euros more. I don't see how an external recorder is gonna give you better paid jobs. These days evolution is going so fast that within a year your odyssey will be worth half the money anymore and better, cheaper things wiil be on the market. I recentley bought a pixE5; list price was about 1400euros but ended up with 2500euro's before i had all the batteries and media I needed. If you are sure it's gonna take a long time before you have your investment back maybe rental is a better solution. Maybe ask for a demo unit for a couple of days and then deside if you really need it.
Jurgen Bauwens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2015, 04:50 PM   #3
Major Player

Rental is out of the question, partly because almost no rental places here have it and I wanna use it also for personal things that I do for other reasons than money.
But you are right, a new one with all the fittings you need start to get the price to a level where it makes more sense to sell the FS700 and buy an FS7 or something instead.
But I really want to go 10bit to be able to work with grading more,..
Old December 28th, 2015, 08:09 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Dear Dmitri,

If you want your Odyssey to support, via HDMI, 1080p60, or Ultra-HD up to 30 fps or 4K (4096 x 2160) up to 24 fps, then you need the Odyssey7Q+.

The Odyssey7Q supports all of the above via HD-SDI, but not via HDMI.

There are other reasons to purchase the Odyssey7Q+.

A new Odyssey7Q+ should come with at least one 256 GB SSD.

There are many battery plates available, so that you may be able to use existing batteries that you may have.

-----------------

If you have an Odyssey7Q or Odyssey7Q+, then from many cameras you will be able to record Apple ProRes, in either 422 or from certain cameras, in RGB 4:4:4 (in regular or XQ quality)

Being able to record in Apple ProRes 422 (HQ, regular or LT) or from certain cameras that output RGB 4:4:4, Apple ProRes 4444 is a definite advantage over recording in other codecs in the camera.

Many clients want Apple ProRes.

Please note that you will need our Raw Bundle ($995 US Dollars) if you your camera outputs Raw, such as the Sony FS700, FS7, ARRI ALEXA classic modes, Canon C500, or C300 Mark II, and a few other cameras.

The FS700's highest quality output is 4K Raw, up to 60 fps. With our Raw Bundle to you can record in both Raw and Apple ProRes 422 in:

4K up to 60 fps
Ultra-HD up to 60 fps (from the 4K Raw output)
2K up to 60 fps (from the 4K Raw output)
HD up to 60 fps (from the 4K Raw output)

The 2K and HD, obtained from the 4K Raw, using Super Sampling and state-of-the-art processing, gives you extremely high quality footage (provided you expose properly).

Using the FS700 in 2K Raw mode, you can record up to 240 fps, in both Raw and Apple ProRes 422.

If your camera outputs video, in HD, 2K, Ultra-HD or 4K, and not Raw, then you do not need our Raw Bundle.

Thus, for the a7S and similar cameras, and the GH4 and others, you do not need our Raw Bundle, but you will need our Odyssey7Q+ to get the most out of these cameras.

For the C500 and C300 Mark II, one can record HD or 2K, in either full uncompressed, or Apple ProRes 4444 (RGB, 4:4:4, 12-Bit), without purchasing our Raw Bundle, as the 2K output of these cameras is not Raw.

Please note that the Odyssey7Q and Odyssey7Q+ are very sophisticated devices.

Our Waveform Monitor with RGB Parade works in HD, 2K, Ultra-HD and 4K and is fully professional..
It is accurate, and is a real-time display, versus others that are much slower in use.

One has to spend over $8,000 to get a tool this professional in any other device.

Our Color Vectorscope is second to none in quality, accuracy and ease of use.

There are many other professional features in our Odyssey7Q and Odyssey7Q+ that are too numerous to list here.

And both the Odyssey7Q and Odyssey7Q+ can be enhanced with our Apollo Option firmware ($1,795 US Dollars) to turn it into a four-channel + one HD recorder, and switcher.

This makes the Odyssey7Q or Odyssey7Q+ a great tool for recording up to four cameras simultaneously.
This records up to four cameras, each isolated, plus a fifth channel, which is either the Program Feed if in Live Switching mode, or a Quad Split of the four cameras.

All of the footage, is in sync, with the exact same timecodes.

Please note that when we added this feature option, we added this to both the Odyssey7Q and Odyssey7Q+.

We provide twenty-four seven support every day of the year. I answered many questions on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and over the weekend.

Please feel free to call me to discuss this and any other related topic.

seven one nine ----- nine three zero ----- one three seven six (This is a United States number)

Respectfully,
Old December 29th, 2015, 11:08 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Dan.
Have a lead on a used 7Q (including battery plate and 2x256gb and Sony licens, which is all I need) will go for that, but seller a bit slow to respond. So I have to see. Scary sending these amounts of money to strangers.
Wish I could afford the 7Q+ new as it would be nice also with warranty. But didn't have money when the Black Friday sale was so missed out on that :(
Would have bought a new one long time ago if it wasn't because the license was so prohibitively expensive...
Old January 1st, 2016, 12:49 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Dear Dmitri,

It took us years of work to develop code for the Sony FS700, the FS7, the C500, the C300 Mark II, ARRIRAW, and other cameras.

And when you get our Raw Bundle, you get our promise of getting, for free, all support that we develop for any Raw camera in the future.

If you have the Sony FS700, we dramatically improve the images that you can record, in both Raw and Apple ProRes 422.

It took us over a year alone, just to develop firmware that would allow you to record from the FS700, taking 2K Raw and recording that to Apple ProRes 422 at 240 fps.

No other on-camera monitor in the world can record Apple ProRes 422 at 240 fps.

And we take 4K Raw and record Apple ProRes 422 at 60 fps.

I can understand why you think that our Raw Bundle is expensive, but it was extremely expensive for us to develop all of this Raw support for many cameras.

Yes, there are other monitor/recorders, but they can't do the things that I listed in this post.

And we continue to add additional features, greatly expanding on the Raw Support that we offer, and we do this for free.

An example of this is our wonderful FS700 4K Raw to HD Apple ProRes 422 using Super-Sampling Techniques.

I hope this helps explain why we charge for our Raw Support.

Respectfully,
Old January 7th, 2016, 03:12 AM   #7
Major Player

Dan,

You'll be happy to hear I bought a brand new 7Q+ and license. Now it's noodles for a couple of months ;)
Old January 7th, 2016, 12:12 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Dear Dmitri,

That is great, you purchased an Odyssey7Q+ and now you get noodles!

(I hope you like noodles).

Respectfully,
Old January 7th, 2016, 02:30 PM   #9
Major Player

Yes,
Some people just got to have it all. A 7Q+ and noodles, there's no shame to my excess! ;)

So now when there's no point bitching about the price, where do I send feature requests? :)
Old January 8th, 2016, 08:17 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Dear Dmitri,

You may send them to me.

Send me a private message if you wish.

Respectfully,

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey