How's it going? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old October 4th, 2009, 06:33 PM   #31
Wrangler

Oh no, Daniel!! I have *got* to see the aliens and helicopters so I hope the next three hours are VERY productive. :)
Old October 4th, 2009, 10:57 PM   #32
Regular Crew

Well, there you go - unfortunately less aliens and helicopters; you'll have to imagine both. Still, I don't think I would have improved it much with the extra five or six days.
Daniel Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2009, 11:46 PM   #33
Wrangler

Did you forget to send a link to thedvchallenge@gmail.com? I didn't find it there. * EDIT: GOT IT! *

Not to worry about the absence of aliens and helicopters. This old X-phile has a pretty good imagination. :) See you when you get back and we'll all have some fun with the feedback. Godspeed.
Old October 6th, 2009, 05:02 AM   #34
New Boot

I've been moving into uni the past few days, crazily hectic. I don't think I'm going to have the time to do the audio properly, so the final product is very likely going to sound pretty dire. Ah well, I'm still determined to have something ready by the deadline! :)
Craig Yates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 08:40 PM   #35
Wrangler

I got stood up tonight! All ready to shoot, waiting for a call back...nothing. Still sitting here with only 10 seconds of cut footage and one of the most demanding concepts I've had for a DVC. Darn musicians...I shoulda recruited one of my dogs instead.

Where's Shorty...
Old October 7th, 2009, 02:43 AM   #36
Major Player

Continued shooting last night. Didn't manage to get one acquaintance with an acting experience for the lead female role, so in such a short term I could only get one friend that has the looks for the role, but has no acting xp.
Will have to re shoot night scenes with better lightning, but for the trailer the current ones will do. Next shooting on 4day.
Andris Krastins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2009, 06:17 PM   #37
Trustee

Just barely still in the game. Nothing shot yet but finally got 2 actors and we start tomorrow (Thursday).

Late in the game but still gonna roll.

New Canon 7D is in and I'm gonna try to use it for this project.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2009, 12:31 PM   #38
Major Player

Done

Now I have to come up with the movie for the premier.... some how....
Old October 9th, 2009, 09:31 PM   #39
Trustee

Almost done. Shooting went far better than I expected, Rick Lara, who has acted for me in a couple of other challenges (remember him as DeVille in "The Devil's Due"?) rounded up a cousin to portray a Indian warrior for a sequence I figured I'd have to edit tight to cover awkward acting.

What a surprise! This guy has some drama school, martial arts, and loves acting. He is even putting together his own native American outfit.

The biggest problem I have in the edit process is software. I've been getting by for years with Pinnacle Studio, and for the last couple of years have worked some with Cyberlink PowerDirector both of which retail at the $100 mark. Neither work very well with the Canon 7D files, Pinnacle Studio won't even recognize the 1920x1080 video, PowerDirector 8 Ultra does but will not play them smooth on the timeline. It will render the clips to an AVC H.264 file which then reimports and plays OK on the timeline as long as I'm super patient and give the computer plenty of time to "digest" each move.

I'm editing on quad core machines (one Q6600 and one Core i7) so processing power is not an issue.

Anyway I'll upload later tonight or sometime Saturday.

This one has been loads of fun but....Whew.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2009, 11:44 PM   #40
Wrangler

How many times have I said that DVCs are great fun? Well, I was WRONG! ;)

Actually, I’m just going a bit crazy because I can’t shoot until 6:00 p.m. tomorrow. Then I am supposed to edit and upload by the next night, when my computer has been locking up and otherwise giving me trouble? Never mind that I'm struggling to create some effects that aren't working out--just getting a successful render is in jeopardy.

I really hope to be singing a happier tune at this time on Sunday...

Congratulations to you guys who are finished or almost done! And I hope lots more of you who signed up are nearly there, as well. :)
Old October 10th, 2009, 07:45 AM   #41
Major Player

Hi Lorinda,

Is there a way to know that the challenge "officials" have received the finished submission and the link that we send via the e-mail address specified?

Thanks,
Alan
Alan Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2009, 07:50 AM   #42
Major Player

Trailer to a trailer...

I had a host of problems of my own it seems, no point in 'bragg' about it, perhaps I shall do a trailer to a trailer :P lol...anyway...RIP 1TB drive :) will get it replaced but you know, the data won't...excited to see your entries though :)
Old October 10th, 2009, 07:54 AM   #43
Major Player

WOW almost there...

Bruce download Edius NEO trial or Vegas 9 trial... I believe they should work with your files....

Come on Lorinda you can do it, yes you can................

Is Tran in this... Maybe we'll have a chance if he gets stuck out of country...

As for me... Done... 720P single core dell... 8^)
Panasonic ZS3, Sony hi-8 and another 80.00 camera...

I like it, let's see if you do.... Best of Luck.....
Old October 10th, 2009, 09:53 AM   #44
Wrangler

That really stinks, Mugurel. I was looking forward to your trailer! Can you come up with something ultra-short like what you've done in the past?

Thanks for the encouragement, Craig. If I didn't have so many setups I wouldn't be concerned.

Alan, I will try to send email confirmation, but when I get in the thick of my own editing it might not be the priority! :)
Old October 10th, 2009, 11:59 AM   #45
Major Player

Challenge

I'm checking up my sleeve...the thing is I'm wearing a t-shirt only :P Will try something worth competing with. Thanks for the encouragements Lorinda!

In fact, now it became an actual challenge :)

Last edited by Mugurel Dragusin; October 10th, 2009 at 11:59 AM. Reason: addition
Mugurel Dragusin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge