Request for small files at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old October 14th, 2009, 11:48 AM   #1
Wrangler

Request for small files

In case some of you aren’t reading all the feedback or may have missed it, I’m putting in a request for a small file of your trailer. At the rate of three hours per trailer it takes for Daniel Bates in Iraq to watch he’ll be hard-pressed to get through in time for judging. Some of you may not have the time to help, but if you do, it would be much appreciated. You may post links here.

Thanks!
Old October 14th, 2009, 06:39 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Missed it somewhere, how do we get it to him ? By posting on YouTube, he can get low rez.. is that enough ?
Old October 14th, 2009, 07:08 PM   #3
Wrangler

I used mpg4 multimedia and got a 7.5mb file. It's pretty small, but I watched it and thought it looked fine. Thought I'd upload it to YouTube or Vimeo and then post the link here.

It's up to everyone whether or not they want to sacrifice size and quality. I was on dial-up, a faster connection than Daniel has now, for long enough that the frustration of waiting on something to buffer was more trouble than it was worth.

EDIT: Just watched the tiny file on Vimeo--it doesn't look too hot. Maybe, if Daniel doesn't mind, we could send them by email.

Last edited by Lorinda Norton; October 14th, 2009 at 08:04 PM.
Lorinda Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009, 09:06 PM   #4
Major Player

I hate to step on anyone's toes who wants to compress their own small version, but if you're interested I took a crack at recompressing the films released thus far. The HD versions I grabbed from my browser's cache provided good quality starting material, and although I had to resize them down to 320x176 to optimize the filesize/quality ratio, I'd say they look pretty good for five megabytes each. I tried lower bitrates, but this seems to be about the sweet spot for the given material. The audio is still clear, which I think is most important.

The eight files (that's intentionally leaving out Daniel's own submission, for obvious reasons) total 38 megabytes or so, which is only slightly larger than a single two-and-a-half minute HD file delivered by Vimeo or Youtube. If it's all right, I can upload the collection to a service like Sendspace, which I've had success with in the past, or send them direct to whoever I need to. Would that be a problem with anyone?
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009, 09:28 PM   #5
Trustee

No problem...

No problem from my end. It's great of you to help out like that.

Bruce Foreman
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009, 09:32 PM   #6
Major Player

I just started to recompress mine and it should be about a 7 meg file. But if you've already grabbed the file Robert, then I won't bother posting it.
Jeremy Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009, 09:35 PM   #7
Wrangler

Are you kidding??? I think that would be fabulous, Robert!!! You're a gem.

So are you other guys for helping out. :)
Old October 14th, 2009, 09:40 PM   #8
Major Player

Excellent! I'm just fiddling with some things now to see if I can't make the files Quicktime compatible (currently they only play with something like VLC or Windows Media Player with ffdshow installed, it's a quirk of the way QT deals with h.264) and squeeze a bit more quality out of them. Shouldn't be long now, I'll report back when they're all finished and ready to go.
Old October 14th, 2009, 09:42 PM   #9
Wrangler

Would you like the links to the last five trailers now?
Old October 14th, 2009, 09:43 PM   #10
Major Player

Sure, if you don't mind; I'll be able to collect everything in one big zip file for easy distribution.
Old October 14th, 2009, 09:52 PM   #11
Wrangler

E-mail sent! Thanks again. :)
Old October 14th, 2009, 10:35 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Thanks Robert!!!
Keith Heyward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2009, 12:29 AM   #13
Major Player

You're welcome, everyone, I'm glad to help out; the hours I've wasted in front of this computer messing around with compression tools and techniques have to be put to use sooner or later, right?

Here's the 61MB DVC 17 collection (posted with Lorinda's permission), minus Daniel's submission to save him the trouble of downloading his own movie: http://www.sendspace.com/file/y1vq8b Ads are annoying, I know, but you can just scroll down toward the bottom to find the download link. No waiting, no codes to enter, just right click and save as.
Old October 15th, 2009, 12:39 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Robert, great job !!
Old October 15th, 2009, 12:00 PM   #15
Major Player

Right on robert!
Jay Kavi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge