DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DV Info Net Announcements (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-info-net-announcements/)
-   -   Trouble with notification of new posts? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-info-net-announcements/128182-trouble-notification-new-posts.html)

Ian Stark November 9th, 2008 10:50 AM

And we all thank you for your efforts, Chris, which cause this to be the most extraordinarily valuable resource I have ever stumbled across.

Graham Bernard November 12th, 2008 01:01 PM

In the past 24 hours I just started having this trouble.

Chris, you, and your mates, take as long as you like in fixing it. Seriously!

This resource is THE finest on the Internet.

Best regards

Graham "Grazie" Bernard

Richard Gooderick November 12th, 2008 01:11 PM

Agreed. Worth it's weight in gold.
Hang on, perhaps I should rephrase that ;-)
It's the most useful website I've ever come across.

Jeff Harper November 12th, 2008 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vito DeFilippo (Post 960841)
I've been following threads by clicking on the "New Posts" link.

Thank you Vito. Great tool. I'm now popping in and out of all kinds of threads, it's actually kind of fun.

Graham Bernard November 12th, 2008 02:22 PM

Ah - HUH! - Back working again

G

Trond Saetre November 12th, 2008 02:36 PM

Graham, do you get any notifications now?
I still do not get anything at all.

Graham Bernard November 12th, 2008 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trond Saetre (Post 962676)
Graham, do you get any notifications now?
I still do not get anything at all.

Hi Trond! Yes, I just got your one above! Asking if . . . !

G

Trond Saetre November 12th, 2008 02:47 PM

Hmm, I did not get any notification about your post here.
But that you got one, it gives hope that Chris is on the right track here, and that he will have it all fixed soon.

Chris Medico November 12th, 2008 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 957389)
Perhaps you guys can help me to properly diagnose the problem. Can you please switch to the daily email notification option, and tell me whether or not that one's working? Thanks in advance,

What I've found myself is since the return email address isn't valid that the spam filter for most email services will reject the email. I changed my settings on my earthlink filter and had all the spam put into a folder and just as I thought, all the notification emails from the board are going there. The problem is that since its not a valid email address I can't add it to my address book so it comes through the filter.

Looks like you are going to have to change the return email address to something that at least looks valid or some of us will never get notifications again.

Martin Catt November 12th, 2008 05:06 PM

Haven't gotten any notifications, either. Fortunately, I usually browse the New Posts list, so I haven't missed anything I've subscribed to. Been that way for a week or so now.

Martin

Ian Stark November 12th, 2008 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Medico (Post 962751)
What I've found myself is since the return email address isn't valid that the spam filter for most email services will reject the email.

But why would it do that after (in my case) something like five years of being OK? Pretty convinced this is a problem with the BB or SQL database or the like. (OK, waaaay over my head now! Chris and co will get it sorted no doubt.)

Out of interest, what BBS is used here?

I was using PHPbb for a couple of years when I was running the music video forum NDIVIDZ but since my hosting provider went belly up and the domain name got lost forever that all went to the wall, sadly. When I was building a clients only area for my website I came across SMF. Much easier to use (whether it's robust enough for a forum of this scale I don't know). Rambling now. Time for bed.

Chris Medico November 12th, 2008 05:46 PM

The problem is with the return address for the board here is invalid. The return address the board used was - <chris@dvinfo.net> and now it is <chris@hardy2>.

You can see that the current email address is not valid. Until this address is changed to a valid address many of us will have problems receiving notifications.

Chris

Lorinda Norton November 12th, 2008 09:37 PM

Ian’s story sounds much like mine (although I have no idea what BB or SQL means). :)

I’ve used msn.com since I joined this board and always received notifications. About a year ago I stopped receiving them, so last April I changed my profile here to use my gmail address. Notifications came there just fine, but though other email sent to the gmail address routed through to my msn account, the notifications did not (nor did emails sent by Chris).

As if by magic ;) for the past two weeks or so msn now allows DV Info notifications to be routed through from the gmail account. I didn’t touch any settings so am left to assume msn is behind the curtain making changes--for better or worse. I’ve decided it’s not the site, but the ISP.

Don’t know if that helps or makes no difference in solving this puzzle, but there it is, just in case.

Graham Bernard November 12th, 2008 10:28 PM

I got "New Posts" yesterday, when I clicked on it. Now it is failing again.

Got notifications. Got this one, I suppose prior to "New Posts" failing again. I have a 4-way "forum" notification that came in just after Midnight GMT.

I suppose it is the "New Posts" button that is failing AND Intermittent too?

Grazie

Ian Stark November 13th, 2008 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Medico (Post 962770)
The problem is with the return address for the board here is invalid. The return address the board used was - <chris@dvinfo.net> and now it is <chris@hardy2>.

Ah, that seems to make sense, thanks Chris (if it is that simple, I wonder why it hasn't been resolved yet or why it's intermittent in some people's experience, or why some people have had the issue for weeks while others, even regular posters like Grazie, are only noticing it now? The joys of technology . . .)

Lorinda, fyi - BB = bulletin board; SQL (Structured Query Language) = a standard interactive and programming language for getting information from and updating a database (someone else's definition, too clever for me).