DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DV Info Net Announcements (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-info-net-announcements/)
-   -   Trouble with notification of new posts? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-info-net-announcements/128182-trouble-notification-new-posts.html)

Trond Saetre August 17th, 2008 10:53 PM

Trouble with notification of new posts?

Is there any trouble with the email notifications?

I have not received any email notifications of new posts in threads I have posted in.
Has been like that for almost a week now. In my subscription settings, I have specified "instant notifications" for all the threads I have posted in.

Anyone else having the same problem?

Annie Haycock August 18th, 2008 01:36 AM

I haven't received anything for a few days, so have just done a check, and there are at least two threads with posts that I hadn't been notified about.

Trond Saetre August 18th, 2008 04:39 AM

Seems like it must be a problem with the forum since I'm not the only one.
I didn't get any notification about Annie's reply either.

Chris Hurd August 18th, 2008 10:12 AM

We've recently switched hosts, and made a change to the forum software... factors which might account for this particular issue. Thanks for the heads-up. I'll ask Jeff to look in on it.

Bill Busby August 18th, 2008 10:19 AM

That's funny... I just got 3 notifications of the same reply :D

Annie Haycock August 18th, 2008 10:29 AM

I saw these replies only because I was looking under New Posts, which I usually do after checking the XH-A1 forum. Guess that's why I didn't really notice that I wasn't getting notifications at first - I was coming straight to the forum rather than through the emails.

Trond Saetre August 18th, 2008 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Busby (Post 921627)
That's funny... I just got 3 notifications of the same reply :D

Wanna share? I still haven't got any notifications about this thread.

Chris, yes I think that might be the reason, because it started all of a sudden around Tuesday last week. (give or take a day)

Annie Haycock August 18th, 2008 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trond Saetre (Post 921691)
Wanna share? I still haven't got any notifications about this thread.

Chris, yes I think that might be the reason, because it started all of a sudden around Tuesday last week. (give or take a day)

Just got notification of this reply, so I hope that means the system is working properly again.

Trond Saetre August 18th, 2008 02:36 PM

Still nothing for me, but maybe it's my turn next time. :)

Annie Haycock August 18th, 2008 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trond Saetre (Post 921710)
Still nothing for me, but maybe it's my turn next time. :)

And then I got two notifications of this one!!

Trond Saetre August 18th, 2008 03:22 PM

Now I got a notification for another thread I posted in about an hour ago. So yeah, seems like things are slowly getting back to normal.

Bill Busby August 18th, 2008 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annie Haycock (Post 921713)
And then I got two notifications of this one!!

Yep, same here. Now I have five dupes :D

Ervin Farkas October 24th, 2008 10:47 AM

No notification

I am not receiving notification when new messages are posted in threads I initiated or participated in. I checked my settings and under "Default thread subscription mode" it is still set to "instant email notification" - I have never changed that.

What could be the cause?

Trond Saetre October 24th, 2008 11:06 AM

I have the same problem.
Began yesterday for me.

Annie Haycock October 24th, 2008 11:35 AM

I haven't received any notifications since Tuesday.

Chris Hurd October 25th, 2008 11:04 AM

Sorry about that, folks... we'll look into it.

Josh Chesarek October 25th, 2008 11:58 AM

I was wondering what happened...

Jeff Harper October 26th, 2008 12:16 AM

Glad I looked here....I'm glad I'm not the only one. I love that feature, wondered what wazzzup. Thanks Chris. I swear this is the best run board on the net.

Trond Saetre October 26th, 2008 02:38 AM

Seems like Chris has solved the problem.
The notifications work fine again now. :)

Trond Saetre October 26th, 2008 07:30 AM

I was too happy too early in my previous post.

Got some notifications this morning, and thought everything was fine.
But there has been some new posts in threads I subscribe to today, and I still haven't got any notifications about those posts.

Vito DeFilippo October 26th, 2008 07:21 PM

Yeah, it's happening to me too. I thought I was imagining it until I saw this thread. Still the greatest board ever!

Galen Rath October 26th, 2008 09:16 PM

Best Board

I agree this is a great board, best I have ever seen on the internet. I never see a nasty, discourteous reply when someone asks a simple question that is common elsewhere.

Ervin Farkas October 29th, 2008 07:54 AM

Five days later...

... still no messages...

Is this something affecting everyone or just a few people?

Chris Hurd October 29th, 2008 05:21 PM

Perhaps you guys can help me to properly diagnose the problem. Can you please switch to the daily email notification option, and tell me whether or not that one's working? Thanks in advance,

Vito DeFilippo October 29th, 2008 07:56 PM

Okay, Chris, I just changed to daily. I'll let you know in a few days if I get something or not. Haven't had any notifications for at least a week, maybe more.

Maybe it's all a ploy to get us to visit the boards more often, hehe...:-)

Wait, is that possible? I'm already here all day.

Thanks,
Vito

Chris Hurd October 29th, 2008 08:04 PM

Ha -- thanks Vito. The dailies are sent out around 7pm central time. It shouldn't take 24 hours to find out if they're working or not. Much appreciated,

Ervin Farkas October 29th, 2008 09:27 PM

I also switched to daily. Better than nothing, if in fact it works. I am just realizing now, together with a lot of other people, how dependent we are on this forum...

I suspect Chris is just trying to test us and soon will come with a dollar figure to fix it...

*wink*

Trond Saetre October 30th, 2008 05:27 AM

Changed to daily notifications too.
Chris, I´ll let you know if that helps or not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ervin Farkas (Post 957463)
I am just realizing now, together with a lot of other people, how dependent we are on this forum...

Dependent? Yes we sure are dependent of this forum! I´m here every single day if I have access to the net.

Trond Saetre October 31st, 2008 03:27 AM

Chris:

I changed the notifications for a couple of the threads I subscribe to to "daily" yesterday. Still haven´t received any notifications at all. Even though at least one of the threads have got more posts after I changed the notification settings.

For this thread, I´m changing back to "instant notifications" to see if there will be any changes.

Ervin Farkas October 31st, 2008 06:32 AM

Same here Chris,

I have not received anything last night.

Chris Hurd October 31st, 2008 08:48 AM

Ah, crikey... I'll have to resort to professional help on this one. Could take another day or two to sort out.

Vito DeFilippo October 31st, 2008 10:33 AM

Yep, I'm still getting nothing.

Justin Ferar November 3rd, 2008 04:34 PM

I guess I'll add myself to the list...

Not getting notices!

Bill Busby November 4th, 2008 03:27 PM

notifications marked as spam

As if Chris doesn't have other things to deal with :) Today, all the thread notifications are being flagged as spam by Spamhaus and from what I can tell it's partly because there's no valid "from" address. It only says The Digital Info Network. In the header though I do see a chris at hardy2, with no domain. I can apply a filter so this doesn't happen in Mailwasher, but just curious why the change.

Tyler Franco November 4th, 2008 03:57 PM

I'm no longer getting notices as well.

Chris Hurd November 4th, 2008 05:10 PM

Which notification frequency are you using, Bill? Instant, daily, weekly...?

Bill Busby November 4th, 2008 05:18 PM

Chris, I've always been on instant.

Chris Hurd November 4th, 2008 08:13 PM

So, Bill, I guess you're *not* having the issue described in this thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/dv-info-n...ification.html

...? Just trying to figure out if there's some relation or common problem here.

Bill Busby November 4th, 2008 10:29 PM

No, this just started happening today, I believe... and as far as I'm aware, I haven't noticed not receiving notifications. The difference between the current notifications & the previous ones are within the "from" column...

current: From: The Digital Video Information Network <chris at hardy2> (note no domain)
previous: From: The Digital Video Information Network <chris at dvinfo.net>

It's not a big deal really. So far it's only Mailwasher that is allowing Spamhaus to flag them as potential spam. It's not affecting Thunderbird or even my ISP's webmail. I was just curious as to why this suddenly began happening.

Ian Stark November 5th, 2008 12:57 PM

As Ervin and Tronde said, how extraordinary that we become so reliant on things like this forum. Reminds me of when Skype went down for a few days - PANIC!

Anyway, just to throw my two shiny new pennies in, I've not had any notifications since 17 October and I just checked one thread to see that a reply was posted on 22nd October.

Something definitely amiss.