Feedback - 'Citizen' by Bill Thesken at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge
Our contest series unites for a common cause...

Old January 14th, 2014, 07:26 PM   #1
Major Player

Feedback - 'Citizen' by Bill Thesken

I tried something different style wise. For these DVinfo challenges I've made films about natural science, underwater biology, a couple of spoofs, a few comedies, a spiritual film or two, surfing. For some reason I suddenly wanted to make something quick and gritty and dark, something that scared the hell out of me.
Technical:
GH2, stock lens.
Zoom H4N.
Sennheiser lav mic.
Filmed in full color HD, edited with film effects in Vegas Pro 9.

In a grim future world.
When the State Controls All.

"Citizen"

http://vimeopro.com/user517265/citizen
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2014, 07:42 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Feedback - 'Citizen' by Bill Thesken

Bill

It was an interesting piece with good use of sound and video effects to convey the mood. I did find that the lush green growth the farmer produced to be a little to fresh and good for a dystopian world. Maybe that is from a time long past?

Cheers

Tim
Old January 15th, 2014, 04:37 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Bill,
Another interesting film from you. I enjoyed watching.

A detail: I didn't really catch the meaning of the sound effect from 1:01 - 1:10. Sounded kinda like a jet flying by and also a little distorted.

Thank you for sharing.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2014, 12:26 AM   #4
Wrangler

Bill, you sure succeeded in doing something completely out of the ordinary! Thank you for leaving most to the imagination; I'm not in the mood for too much realism. Gritty is a good word for describing this piece, so if you wanted to be consistent, Tim's thoughts about the lush colors of the produce, past or present, are certainly worth pondering.

As always, I appreciate the thoughtfulness you put into your work. Thanks for yet another interesting entry!
Old January 17th, 2014, 01:14 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks for the comments, and for watching.

I made this piece with 3 perspectives, Outside / Inside-Outside / Inside.
3 distinct film looks, black and white, old 80's film, and HD.
ie: The interrogator's view/ the prisoner explaining himself to his detainees/ and then as he's being physically destroyed for not giving the right answer, his 'inner' vision of his little farm which is prohibited along with anything else not approved by the State, grasping for the clear color vision as it turns to black and white with his destruction.
"State your name" Your name 'is' the State, henceforth citizen. No other is allowed.
His inspiration was the end of a stick to adhere to the State.
Trond: The sound from 1:01 - 1:10 was intended to make people cringe, add a grim audio feel to the visual.

I'll be making a comedy the next go around that is for sure!
Or should I say, that is for sure, eh!
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2014, 09:49 AM   #6
Major Player

Hey Bill,

I felt uncomfortable watching it. In my own films, I go for that quite a bit, and then have to hear people tell me that they felt uncomfortable, as if that is a negative. Nice mood piece, Of course, you are probably now on an NSA terror watch list for making it. That is all. The state is all.
Dick Mays is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge