DVD chips 'to kill illegal copying' - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old September 17th, 2006, 08:22 AM   #16
Trustee

Okay, but what about discs that we create ourselves? They won't have a chip on them, so they won't answer any challenges. So how would the player distinguish between a DVD-R of somebody's holiday video, from a film that had its VOB etc file ripped and then re-burned?
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2006, 08:36 AM   #17
Wrangler

Honestly Simon, I don't know anything about this system, and don't particularly care one way or the other :-) If you feel it's a hoax then that's fine with me. My only point is that it sounds plausible, and I can see reasons why the manufacturers might be interested in such a system. I know there are a lot of concerns in the software industry about slick pirated copies coming out of China and other countries.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2006, 09:10 AM   #18
Inner Circle

I think its real. MACROVISION is real, and fairly ineffective. I think this new system will work for a short while, and then someone will find a workaround. It's all part of the 'arms race' attitude.

No reason to assume the article is a hoax or bogus.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2006, 04:16 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Wilson
There will be a way to get around this in minutes.

Play the movie as a high quality analogue signal and record that signal.

Burn a DVD.

Simple !

It may not be digital or an identical clone, but done well on cheap equipment we probably already own any degradation may be tiny.
Lee Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring