Anyone burning DVD dual layer at 4x or faster ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old September 2nd, 2006, 04:47 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Anyone burning DVD dual layer at 4x or faster ?

If you've been burning dual layer at 4x or faster, please tell :
1) DVD burner
2) DVD media
3) software

My BenQ DW1655 specifications state that it does 8x DVD+R dual layer. but it only does 2.4x . The Verbatim DVD+R DL media I bought were listed as 8x for capable burnres, 2.4x for the uncapable.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2006, 07:12 AM   #2
Major Player

I've gotten up to 4X on my Plextor external burner...you may need a firmware upgrade for your burner. Sometimes manufactures put higher values on their box because they have firmware upgrades coming soon and they dont want to have to change all of their manuals and boxes in a month. Check the BenQ site and see if they have an upgrade for it.
Noah Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2006, 03:28 PM   #3
Major Player

Yeah Gints, check for a firmware update for yours. I also use Plextors (716al & 716a) and have no trouble burning 4x double layered disks...according to the firmware I have on them, I should be able to burn 6x, I just haven't found the media at that speed yet. Didn't even know there was 8x out there yet.
Vincent Croce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2006, 04:08 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Thanks, Guys. I had updated the BenQ 1655 to the latest firmware, and I'm still at 2.4x on DVD+R DL. Oh well.

As for finding 8x DVD+R DL, check out the verbatim disks at shop4tech.com .
They may not really be 8x after all. Which discs do you use and where did you find them ?

Thanks !
Old September 3rd, 2006, 04:05 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I meant to ask : which disks do you use with your Plextor drives to burn at 4x ?
Old September 3rd, 2006, 09:34 PM   #6
Major Player

I can't remember, I used the last one about a month ago...I'm pretty sure they were TDK or Memorex, I usually use single layer Prodisc inkjet printables for all of projects, I just needed dual-layer for one project
Noah Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2006, 05:40 AM   #7
Inner Circle

As an update, I bought a Plextor PX-755SA (SATA). With those Verbatim 2.4x (advertised as up to 8x) DVD+R DLs, burning is at 6x . Cool. That really takes the sting out of burning at 2.4x.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring