DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 25th, 2009, 09:36 AM   #16
Major Player

iMovie 09 works well with PMW-EX1 - HD Samples

Been using iMovie 09 for non critical work with PMW-EX1 1080/30p footage over the last month and while the video enhancement controls are sparten compared with Final Cut Pro 6, iMovie09 saves you a ton of time when doing fun stuff.

In this HD sample only 1080/30p from PMW-EX1 was used.
I cut up the footage with iMovie09 and used one of the themes.
Changing some of the timing tools and ken burns effects give me this:
6000kbs encoded using 29.97fps, H264 and Quicktime for YouTube.com

YouTube - PS196 does Rumba and the Waltz - Ball Room Dancing by Larocca 5th Graders in HD 720p (Sony PMW-EX1)

This HD sample has a short portion from a Canon HG10 in the front at 1080/60i
iMovie09 cannot handle mixed media right now perfectly as the 60i footage seems badly encoded when compared with the main 1080/30p material. I think I can work around this by processing the 1080/60i source with FCP but again, iMovie09 is for saving time. If you want to do critical stuff, iMovie 09 is not my recommendation.
still, this stuff looks good enough in HD
7000kbs at 29.97fps, H264 and Quicktime

YouTube - William Chiu plays Chopin Nocturne Op 9 No 2 (Lyrical poetry to Madame Camille Pleyel)

In this last HD sample you see the limitations of iMovie 09 with video enhancement.
the 1080/30p footage was taken with the wrong +9db gain setting for the fireworks show.
I should have used +0 or +3db. As such, the graininess showed throughout and without Final Cut Studio's great noise controls, iMovie09 handle it only ok for 720p resolution.
8000kbs at 29.97fps, H264 and Quicktime
(BTW, the cropping used in the fireworks footage was as much as 50% of the original in order to isolate the castle and eliminate bodies!)

YouTube - Wishes Nighttime Spectacular Entertainment at Magic Kingdom Theme Park Fireworks in HD 720p / 1080p

Please share your settings and techniques!

paul
Paul Chiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 03:17 PM   #17
Major Player

Final Cut Studio 2, with FCP 6: will it work with EX3

A producer/editor that I work with alot got a good deal today on a Final Cut Studio 2 package that includes FCP 6 and as I am not a editor.... my BIG questions is:

Will this new program work with native EX3 video files? and will we still have to use Sony 2.5 clip browser to convert the files?

I know that this seems silly and strange to most of you out there on this forum But the EX3 camera and the SxS,KxS world is all new to us ,as we have both have made a large investment in gear and computers.

So, I just want to make sure this will all work and we can live "happily ever after" in the XDCAM EX world.....

thanks
Old March 25th, 2009, 03:23 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Sigh, doesn't Sony's site provide any info?

ClipBrowser 2.5 is for copying files primarily as far as FCP is concerned.
XDCAM Transfer 2.9 rewraps to MOV for FCP.
Sony has Log and Transfer plugin for FCP as well.

Sony | Micro Site - XDCAM EX

Sony | Micro Site - XDCAM EX

http://pro.sony.com/bbsccms/assets/f...lCutPro_R1.pdf
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 03:58 PM   #19
Major Player

I've used fcp 6 with the Ex cams for over a year now. It's a great tool and you will have no problems with the xdcam integration
Joachim Hoge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 11:57 AM   #20
Trustee

Bill: The answer is yes. :)
Old March 26th, 2009, 12:02 PM   #21
Trustee

How "snappy" is it to work with XDCAM EX footage using iMovie? I'm on a newer MacBook Pro and when trying to edit with Final Cut 6, it's kind of sluggish. Usable, but nothing like editing on our 8-core MacPro. Does iMovie help in this area?

Apple always designs great looking templates. I haven't even looked at iMovie 9 yet. Thanks for the heads up! :)
Old March 26th, 2009, 01:29 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell Lewis View Post
How "snappy" is it to work with XDCAM EX footage using iMovie? I'm on a newer MacBook Pro and when trying to edit with Final Cut 6, it's kind of sluggish. Usable, but nothing like editing on our 8-core MacPro. Does iMovie help in this area?

Apple always designs great looking templates. I haven't even looked at iMovie 9 yet. Thanks for the heads up! :)
i know what you mean by sluggish working with FCP 6 even with a mac pro. with macbook pro, even with a recent 2.66 unibody, loading of XDCAM-EX files can be slow. rendering is faster, but the general moving around, 3 color correction, audio editing can still be slow on the mbp15-2.80. i have yet to test a mbp17-2.93 with 8gb ram, but FCP is a pig. powerful, but needs tons of ram.

with a mbp15-2.80, iMovie09 is very quick loading XDCAM-EX 1080/30p footage. moving portions around is quick and pause-free.
rendering on the mbp15-2.80 is about 20 minutes for 8 minutes of 1080p footage into quicktime h264 at 8000bps. very acceptable.

i recommend iMovie09 for casual work!

paul
Paul Chiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 02:26 PM   #23
Trustee

Thanks Paul! I'm going to have to give it a try soon. Thanks for sharing.
Old March 26th, 2009, 02:28 PM   #24
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Griffin View Post
Will this new program work with native EX3 video files? and will we still have to use Sony 2.5 clip browser to convert the files?
Some edit software will work 'natively' with EX footage. FCP needs the original footage put in the electronic equivalent of a brown paper bag to keep things together. So the files aren't converted, just 'bagged up'.

Another analogy I've thought of (probably due to the lateness of the hour) is that if each shot from your EX camera wants to enter the Final Cut Pro conference, it needs to get a little badge and a goody bag, which is what happens in Clip Browser or XDCAM Transfer.

Of course, Clip Browser can clip on a different sort of badge and a different conference pack for the Avid conference or even (sorry about this) mince up the delegate and reconstitute him or her as a SD clip, WMV or whatever. It's been that kind of day.

But I wouldn't get too stressed about the ability to edit 'native' versus the software helper route. It has advantages of backup, adding extra data, batch naming and filing. And it's not altering the actual visual data at all.
Old March 26th, 2009, 04:00 PM   #25
Inner Circle

A variant on Matt's analogy.

Each NLE is a fairly exclusive nightclub with a dress code.
XDCAM Transfer will make sure it's dressed for the FCP nightclub (with MOV clothing)
ClipBrowser can make sure it's dressed for the Avid nightclub (with MXF for NLE clothing)
Then there are the "naturist" camps that will let them in with naked MP4.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 01:10 AM   #26
Regular Crew

If your machines are at least intel dual core processors, you should have no problems.
Kevin Cates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 07:09 AM   #27
Major Player

what if?

What if you want the footage shot on an EX camera used in more than one edit system?

Lets say I transfer the footage from the cards via clip browser to a hard drive and put it in an FCP wrapper. Then that hard drive gets taken to a different editor who uses Premiere on a PC system. Then what? Then a month later the client goes to a different editor who uses AVID or ?
Ed Kukla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 07:15 AM   #28
Major Player

this is one reason I always keep a copy of the entire BPVA folder, even after logged and transferd to final cut. Problem is that they can't pick up from your edit as it has to be logged again
Joachim Hoge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 07:54 AM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Hoge View Post
Problem is that they can't pick up from your edit as it has to be logged again

Sorry, I don't understand this comment. I am very new to all this. Speak VERRRRY slowly and with very simple words!
Ed Kukla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 08:43 AM   #30
Major Player

I mean that the clips you have imported into final cut can't be taken directly into premiere. If you have a copy of the original BPVA folder ie. Everything that was on the SxS card you can bring that folder into premiere and edit the same footage, but you have to start from scratch since you don't have the edit points you made in final cut
Joachim Hoge is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite