NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2004 - Page 77 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 13th, 2004, 02:15 PM   #1141
Warden

I've seen that error (usually with an error code) with QT Streaming as an option and if subtitles are in your project.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2004, 03:14 PM   #1142
Regular Crew

Jeff, thank you for replying.

So, to get a better understanding, does QT Pro work with every QT Player version? Aren't there different versions for Pro as there are for Player?

Stylianos Moschapidakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2004, 05:25 PM   #1143
Warden

It knows what version to use based on the serial number you enter. No serial number means QT Player. Serial number means QT Pro. FCP 3 want the serial done in a specific manner, as I recall.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old August 13th, 2004, 06:15 PM   #1144
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris L. Gray : Woops. sold out already. -->>>

Damn. Good deal. A 1.6Ghz G5 with a Gig of mem or more would run FCP fine. Keep your eyes peeled Apple seems to be clearing out computers.
Harrison Murchison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2004, 06:35 PM   #1145
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Harrison Murchison : Keep your eyes peeled Apple seems to be clearing out computers. -->>>

It seems to be more a case of making refurbs available for resale as and when they can. For awhile only the earlier G5s were available in the refurb section. Now the newer ones are also appearing there. The available quantities are not that large. The day I bought a refurb dual 1.8GHz/160GB G5, when my transaction was done, that item disappeared off the web site for that day. The sales person with whom I was speaking had also been about to discuss the 1.6GHz with me, then said, "Whoops, that one's gone already." Fortunately, that was not what I had had my eye on anyway.
Patricia Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2004, 09:05 PM   #1146
Major Player

Audio doesn't play when scrubbing?!

Hello, all! I need some help... I'm editing a MiniDV feature on FCP HD, and everything was fine, until now. For some reason, when I play my footage on the timeline at regular speed, the audio plays back fine. However, when I scrub through the timeline, either in fast-forward or slo-mo, the audio doesn't play. Five minutes ago this was all working fine, and now I can't listen to my clips unless it's at regular speed. Even trying to move frame-by-frame in either direction doesn't play the audio; only regular speed. The sound levels display only moves when it's playing at normal speed.

I haven't changed any settings, and I've already edited tons of footage with no problems. I tried restarting FCP, but the problem is still there.

I'm using FCP HD 4.5 on a Dual 2GHz G5 with 1.5GB RAM, and several external HDDs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Jaime Valles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2004, 10:09 PM   #1147
Major Player

Nevermind... I got it fixed. I had accidentally unchecked the "Audio Scrubbing" feature in the View menu. I must have pressed SHIFT+S by accident. Anyway, it works now.
Jaime Valles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2004, 03:44 AM   #1148
Regular Crew

I just received my 1.6 today. By the scuff on the mouse, it looks USED. But oh well, I don't care. I'm waiting for my 1GB ram kit to really let this baby handle fcp. :p
Old August 14th, 2004, 09:10 AM   #1149
Regular Crew

Thank you for your help Guy, ill give it a try.
Old August 14th, 2004, 09:50 AM   #1150
Regular Crew

The tv station I work has Avid Xpress in three of the bays, with linear in the remaining ones. I have FCPHD at home on my mac. Of the two, I prefer FCP if nothing else than for the layout. FCP's layout is (to me) more user friendly than the one for Avid Xpress.
Jeremiah Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2004, 11:53 AM   #1151
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris L. Gray : I just received my 1.6 today. By the scuff on the mouse, it looks USED. But oh well, I don't care. I'm waiting for my 1GB ram kit to really let this baby handle fcp. :p -->>>

Hey as long as it works good right?

I bought a single 1.8 demo from a store that was in perfect shape, and a dual 2.0 refurb from the website that also looked as good as new. Go figure.
www.xedgehosting.com
Jeffery Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2004, 02:27 PM   #1152
New Boot

ordering from Mac Mall?

Hi,

I am looking to purchase a powerbook g4 and mac mall seems to have a decent price on the model I want. However, I am always a bit skeptical when ordering from new places that offer great deals. When I checked up on mac mall I only found bad reviews and stories of them cheating people.

Has anyone on the board ordered from them? Specifically a powerbook?

Thanks,
-Dan
Dan Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2004, 03:53 PM   #1153
Warden

MacMall is a long time authorized Apple dealer and is very reputable. You can order from them without fear. Also checkout B & H Photo, they're an Apple dealer and one of our sponsors. I don't know how you feel about Apple refurbished products, but they're are several PB models in the Apple Store at their site.

Old August 15th, 2004, 05:14 PM   #1154
Regular Crew

Medea G-Raid - Possible Stupid Question...

I was looking for an external hard drive around 250 gb for additional space for video editing. At first I looked at the Mercury Elite Pro FW400/800 drive, but now I've stumbled onto the G-Raid and wanted to ask a few questions about it.

I will be using it with my current Quicksilver G4 (867mhz) on final cut pro, and will most likely move to a powerbook next year when I go to college. At first the drive caught my eye just because it matches the powerbook and g5 and because it has more storage space (I'm considering the 320 gb model).

First stupid question: what does 2x320 gb mean? does that mean that there are two 320 gb drives raided together for redundancy... so, you really have 640 gb of space, but only have 320 gb available to use? could someone please explain the RAID system more thoroughly?

Also, imagine in a year, using this with a powerbook: what benefits will this RAID system provide over any other firewire 800 drive? Im not sure what all the specs mean as far as the number of video streams it can handle. I always just import from the camera, edit, and output to dvd. For a laptop user, would it be much faster? Does it really support more real time effects? Do you think this drive is overkill?

sorry for so many questions...
thanks,
Chris
Old August 16th, 2004, 01:05 AM   #1155
RED Code Chef

With two drives inside a box (what 2x320 normally means) you
can use two raid levels:

RAID 0: striping or RAID 1: mirroring

Either you can choose which one it is or the box comes in either
of the two modes.

In raid 0 the two drives are strung together so to speak so the
computer will see one big 600+ GB harddisk. The idea is to speed
up read speed and sometimes write speed as well. How much of
a speedup you can expect, I don't know. I presume firewire 800
will be faster in this if your Mac has such a port as well.

In raid 1 the drives are mirrored so you half the available space
to 300+ GB. All your data is now mirrored and in case of one
drive dying on you, you will still have the other one available.

What mode it is or what you can choose from I don't know.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite