Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old September 15th, 2004, 01:22 PM   #1261
Regular Crew

Archiving Projects

Anyone use products like this:

Movie Archive 1.0 for Mac OS X

Movie Archive enables you to capture, compress, browse, and organize a multi-tape video library. Movie Archive requires Mac OS X 10.2 or later and a DV camera connected via FireWire.

http://lqgraphics.com/software/moviearchive.php/
Matt Elias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2004, 01:39 PM   #1262
New Boot

16:9 and Letterboxing

Okay so, I've recorded all of my media with the 16:9 mode on my Canon XL1s. I logged and captured it into FCP4 with the anamorphic button clicked. My sequence presets are for anamorphic 16:9 as well.

However, a handful of my clips are letterboxed. Why is that?

I created an initial sequence with all of the interview footage for my film. Here the clips appear as 16:9 and are not letterboxed. After I pasted portions of this sequence into other sequences (to construct different scenes), they alone were letterboxed, but none of the other clips added to the new sequences were.

Why would some clips be letterboxed and others not within a given sequence? And, why would those same clips not be letterboxed in another sequence? Furthermore, how do I get them back to normal anamorphic 16:9 without letterboxing without redoing each of my edits?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I apologize if this was handled in a previous thread.
Sharif Zawaideh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2004, 02:16 PM   #1263
Regular Crew

Do the clips appear this way in both the viewer and the canvas?
Matt Elias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2004, 02:23 PM   #1264
New Boot

yes, the offending clips appear letterboxed in both the viewer and the canvas. But thier source clip in the browser is not letterboxed, when brought into the viewer.
Old September 15th, 2004, 02:50 PM   #1265
New Boot

If I open the letterboxed clips in the viewer and click on the motion tab, then distort and change the aspect ratio from -33 to zero that removes the letterboxing. Will this degrade the video quality? Is there a way to do this for multiple clips at once? Would it be better to re-edit the clips back in from the browser (very time consuming)?

Also, why would those few clips aspect ratios have been changed to -33.33, and thus be letterboxed if I never changed them.

Sorry for all the questions, I am a newbie with FCP.
Old September 15th, 2004, 03:13 PM   #1266
Wrangler

I think it's probably very simple. Check the sequence settings on the letterboxed clips. If you drop a 16:9 clip into a 4:3 sequence then FCP will automatically letterbox to fit. All you should need to do is go to the sequence settings dialog and check the anamorphic box. However, any clips that have been dragged to the sequence will probably not "de-letterbox" by themselves. You will need to drop those back into the sequences. If that gets complicated (such as existing edits you don't want to lose) you should be able to open the clip by double-clicking it on the timeline, click on the motion tab in the clip's viewer window and select the distort property. Set the aspect ratio to 0 and I think that will restore the clip to the proper proportion such that it fills the 16:9 window.

In the future, just make sure the clip and sequence settings are in agreement before proceeding!
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2004, 04:59 PM   #1267
Major Player

The only advantages of the class are better knowledge of the software. It might help a little on the resume, in terms of letting your prospective employer know that you know FCP very well, but it won't make them hire you outright. Nor will it increase your billing rate.

Just because you are certified on the equipment, doen't mean you can edit. What I mean by that is that just becuase you know HOW to use FCP, doesn't mean that you know how to edit a story. That part is all creativity and imagination...and something that you won't get from the course.

You can know everything there is to know about Microsoft Word and formatting a document, but it doesn't mean you can write.

You will get hired because of you storytelling ability. Your demo reel or showcase of past projects will big the biggest asset in selling yourself, and able to bill more for yourself.
Shane Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2004, 05:32 PM   #1268
Regular Crew

Thanks

Thanks Shane.
That's what I was looking for. I have the creative talent for still
photography, imaging but want to unleash some creative talents
on the vid side.

I will assume that learning FCP with a solid base will be the
way to start and then see if some talent can be applied.
No doubt it will take a great deal of commitment which I
can apply.
Thanks again.
Tom
ONA Large Format Printing
Tom Aellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2004, 09:43 PM   #1269
New Boot

Is there no loss if the codec is set to "DV -- NTSC" in Video Settings or does one have to select "none" for the codec?
Matthew Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2004, 11:58 PM   #1270

Help!: How do I do this effect in Final Cut Pro HD?

I'm working in FCP HD and need to make that effect you see on so many low-budget video shows where they blur out just a portion of the screen (like when they need to remove someone's face or hi-profile logo or whatever). Can I do that in FCP HD? Or do I need something like After FX?

Thanks!
Laurence Maher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2004, 12:50 AM   #1271
Regular Crew

Yes you can do it. There are probably several ways, but this is how I would go about it.

(I don't have my editing system in front of me so this is from memory).

You need two copies of your clip, one on V1 and one on V3. Temporarily hide V1.

On V2 you need to place a matte that is the shape (and at the location) that you want the blur to appear. Use the shape generator to create a white oval, then adjust the parameters to get the size, shape, location, and edge softness about right. Place that shape on V2.

Select the clip on V3 and set the composite mode to Travel Matte - Luma (Modify->Composite Mode->Traval Matte - Luma). Now all you should see is an oval "window" of your clip on a black background (if you hid V1 as suggested above). At this point you can fine tune the location, shape, size, and edge softness of the matte shape on V2 to zero in on the area you want to apply the blur.

Now add a blur filter to the clip on V3 and adjust the blur as desired. Turn V1 back on and you should see a blured oval with the rest of your image nice and clear.

Often the area you want to blur will be moving in the frame, making it necessary to keyframe the location (and sometimes the size) of your matte shape to keep it over the area you want to apply the blur.

Again, this is from memory. Sorry if I got a detail wrong or missed a step. I'm sure someone will post a correction. ; )
Old September 16th, 2004, 07:08 AM   #1272

I'll give it a shot!

Thanks so much!
Laurence Maher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2004, 12:58 PM   #1273
Regular Crew

any suggestions?
Old September 16th, 2004, 12:58 PM   #1274
Regular Crew

Can I send DV deck analog a/v to Aja IO and still have deck control?

A few questions...first, would I be able to send audio and video from a dv deck through composite/analog to my AJA io and have it routed to the computer via firewire, using one of the 8 or 10 bit uncompressed capture settings, and secondly, at the same time have the DECKS firewire going directly to my G5, and set FCP up to use this connection solely for deck control? My deck does not have serial deck control. I know that the capture/deck control presets in FCP are independent. I feel that I cannot take advantage of the uncompressed captured options with the a/v not being routed through the IO. And I might add that right now I have my IO firewire and the decks firewire connected to my G5 at the same time on different buses with no problems.

thanks.

-paul.
Paul Figgiani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2004, 01:30 PM   #1275
Warden

You need to capture at 29.97 fps then let FCP remove the pull down and change your timeline to 24 fps.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite