NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2004 - Page 35 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 21st, 2004, 10:13 AM   #511
Regular Crew

yeah thats exactly what i was doing. its been so long since ive had to get anything back off my computer that in the newest version i wasnt sure if there was some other preferences or something that had to be set or something.

hmm. ill give it a try again. hopefully itll work this time. im sure i just missed something.

thanks for the input.
Old April 21st, 2004, 12:24 PM   #512
Regular Crew

i had both installed no problem when i first got FCP 4. i later converted all my projects with no ill-effects tho.
Old April 21st, 2004, 10:02 PM   #513
Regular Crew

The next step with my new G5...

I was recently fortunate enough to con my father into co-signing a loan for a G5 (1 gig ram, 160gig, ati radeon 9600 pro). The world may mock my camera, but they will tremble at my dual 1.8's. At any rate, my budget is now in dire straits and my query is this;

what is the best move I can make as far as audio is concerned: should I get a better mic for my camera (which sports a mini input) or should I invest in some attachments for my computer and work on audio in post. (ALSO TO CONSIDER: I could sell this hp pavillion labtop i'm on right now for more cash to work with, but i fear losing my last bit of PC might kill me)

I know this is highly subjective, but I thought you all might like a change of pace and i also thought it might prevent another disaster... like my panny dvc7...
Old April 22nd, 2004, 05:31 AM   #514
Regular Crew

You could export a finished cut and desaturate the whole movie at once. If you really have a final cut and don't have to do anymore editing, it may be less of a pain to do it that way.
Cannon Pearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2004, 01:26 PM   #515
Inner Circle

Getting good sound in the first place is many times easier than trying to fix things in post. The best thing you can do to get better sound is to get the mic as close as possible. The two most common ways to do that is with a lav or with a boom-mounted mic. For other situations a podium mic or handheld will get the microphone closer.

The second thing you can do is to get a more directional microphone... but that doesn't help too much. If you're going to mount the mic on the camera (which is always the furthest away from the sound source...) then you might as well get the most directional microphone you can get (ignoring parabolic mics, because they don't sound good). The Sennheiser MKE300 is one of the shotgun mics you can get that has a miniplug input.

What gear you should get depends on what you're shooting and whether or not you can get somebody to be the boom op.

2- I would've done things the other way around... spend a lot of recording gear and less on the computer. Recording gear (video/sound) doesn't become obsolete as fast and determines final output quality a lot more than your computer does.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2004, 01:31 PM   #516
Inner Circle

You can nest your entire movie and desaturate the whole thing.

2- If you want to be fancy you could put a curves filter upstream of the desaturation filter so you can adjust which combinations of red green and blue go into the final image.

I don't remember if FCP has a curves filter.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2004, 02:35 PM   #517
Trustee

Editing HD in FCP

Perhaps there are several threads on this here, but I wonder if there is a simple way to NLE on FCP from video originally shot in a Sony Cinealta. That is proceeding as you do when you shoot in film and do NLE on FCP or similar.

How do you do it? What do you need?

Carlos
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2004, 04:20 PM   #518
Inner Circle

It has a curves filter, but it is not an actual curve-based interface. Rather, it is a series of sliders, which is much more clunky (IMO).
Old April 22nd, 2004, 06:15 PM   #519
Regular Crew

I tried capturing this tape on a new eMac and it captured fine w/out dropping frames. So I'm assuming my G4 is giving out and I need that dual 2ghz G5 soon!
Paul Chun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2004, 08:38 PM   #520
New Boot

Lower Thirds?

Looking for some nice animated Lower Third Title backgrounds.
Right now I really need somthing sports oriented for basketball,
but would like to have a few generic ones for future use.

Appreciate any leads. Thanks
FCP
Old April 22nd, 2004, 09:12 PM   #521
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Hello Ted,
You might some good stuff at Digital Juice

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2004, 10:52 PM   #522
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Ted,

Intelligent Assistance offers a great tutorial/help tool for LiveType, and included with it are some nice templates for lower thirds.
Old April 23rd, 2004, 08:24 AM   #523
Regular Crew

I second Glenn's opinion. There is only so much you can do in post that will really help.

mg
Matthew Groff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2004, 09:19 AM   #524
New Boot

Dang it, I'm still using FCP 3. That IA Tutorial sounds like the way to go, considering the cost of "store bought" lower thirds.
I see it has info about Calligraphy, but I wonder if it has enough for FCP3 to make it worth buying.
Old April 23rd, 2004, 09:44 AM   #525
New Boot

Vegas user looking at FCP

Just wanted to find out if anyone has some good ideas on Training . What book or DVD set would you recommend?

Thanks

Chris.
Chris Hendrick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite