NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2004 - Page 40 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 5th, 2004, 10:39 AM   #586
New Boot

Thanks, I'll run the head cleaner thru it just in case. Last night, I was at another post house and tried laying it back to tape there. It came thru pixelated. Someone made the suggestion that it might be the firewire drive not playing at a good speed. The only time it's worked is when I've transfered the footage to the hard drive on another computer and laid it back from the project that way. It's an interesting thought that I'll experiment with today. I'm going to put some footage on my hard drive and some on another external and see what happens.

Thanks,
Suz
Suzanne LaBrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2004, 11:25 AM   #587
Wrangler

This is indeed the exact problems I've seen using a slow external firewire drive. But I've never had any problems with 7200 RPM drives that use the Oxford 911 chipset.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2004, 01:56 PM   #588
New Boot

Oh my gosh! I have success! I tried cleaning the head, didn't work. I tried laying back from a different drive, didn't work. Then (in addition to the other drive), I went into the Playback settings under options and set the Video Track Pitch to SP mode-DV. I thought I had that checked already, but I guess not. It's always the simplest things that drive you crazy!

Thanks for everyone's help. If this happens to you, I hope you can benefit from my discovery.
Suz
Suzanne LaBrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2004, 03:34 PM   #589
Regular Crew

new g5

Ok I am so tired of waiting for the newer G5. I called apple today and spoke with one of there sales guy and he said the same thing. They don't know when they will be out. I heard may 18 even so you'll have to wait another month or 2 before you can even get them. Is anyone hearing anything different. I have projects that I need to get started on.
Old May 7th, 2004, 09:36 AM   #590
New Boot

Modify Timcode in FCP HD

Since updating to Final Cut Pro HD I have noticed a horrible bug (it had better not be a feature) in the modify timecode. As of Final Cut Pro HD you can only modify the timecode if the playhead is at the start of the clip, while on all previous versions you could modify the timecode at any point in the clip. When working in a production environment, many times I am given clips that have the playhead not at the start, and it is annoying to have to modify the timecode only at the head of the clip! Many of our assistant editors tend to modify the timecode in the middle of the clip, and this can no longer be done!

I am working on something with all sources have Viz Timecode. Well I am working with stems that match up to the Visuals on the tape. The Problem is that there is only timecode on the stems tapes, when it is matching where there is picture on the tape. Otherwise there is no timecode run up. So to capture the entire run of the stems, the head doesn't have any Visual Timecode on it. To change the timecode so it matches, I need to be able to modify the timecode at any point where the playhead is, not just at the head of the clip! THIS BUG REALLY NEEDS TO BE FIXED VERY QUICKLY!
Old May 8th, 2004, 10:14 AM   #591
New Boot

If you have $49 to spare, I recommend Aron Ranen's 2-hour training DVD, "Final Cut Pro 4.0 Basic Training." A complete fast-track course for beginners, from Logging and Capturing to Outputting to DVD.

Diclosure: I'm one of his students in San Francisco, and I really find his methods teaching methods effective.

Available at:

http://www.dvworkshops.com/fcpdvd.htm
Carl Russo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2004, 10:49 AM   #592
Regular Crew

New mounted Lacie FW HD now won't mount

I hooked up a new Lacie 7200 rpm FW HD to my TiPB laptop.

It's icon appeared and I initialized, set up (HFS+) and mounted it. I captured to it and then shut down.

Returning, I find the icon doesn' t appear and the Silverlining Pro, tho seeing it, can't mount it.

What's up? Why doesn't it recognize the HD? Will I have to initialize again?

thanks,
elmer
Elmer Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2004, 11:48 AM   #593
Major Player

Clustered rendering coming to FCP?

According to this rumor -

http://thinksecret.com/news/prorendering.html

clustered rendering may be coming to FCP and DVDSP. This is the Qmaster technology currently used in Shake. According to the rumor it could mean something as simple as clustering two laptops together to take advantage of the additional processing power.
Jeff Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2004, 12:38 PM   #594
Major Player

Which version of OSX?

What did you do when you returned? Was it plugged in the whole time (firewire - FW)?

When you say it doesn't mount do you mean it asks to reinitialize or do you mean the laptop won't even recognize it?

Some things to try -
Make sure the FW cable is unplugged when you power up the laptop. Power up the laptop, plug in the FW cable then turn on the drive.

Try a different cable.

I'd suggest resetting the FW port but I don't know how you do that in a laptop (in a desktop you unplug it for 5-10 minutes).
Jeff Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2004, 08:19 PM   #595
Warden

FireWire is hot swappable. Turn off the drive, unplug the FW cable, start the drive and let it spin up (about 5 to 10 seconds), then plug in the cable. disk should appear on desktop.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2004, 08:34 PM   #596
Warden

Sharon, did you get your questions answered? If not post back and I'll try to help.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2004, 12:36 AM   #597
Tourist

FCP4 Slipping Sync During 23.98->29.97

Ok, I am in need of some troubleshooting/workaround advice for a particularly devastating problem with FCP4 sound sync. It is for my senior short film that is supposed to screen this friday. Yikes.

The project is a short 12 minutes on a 23.98fps timeline in FCP4 on OSX. When I play it back using pulldown (the option on the sequence) as NTSC 29.97 (external NTSC monitor displays fine), the sound sync drifts slowly, and by 8 to 10 minutes into the piece, it is pretty noticable. I believe the sound begins to come early, and the video starts to lag behind. If the timeline is simply stopped then started again, things are back in sync nomatter where the playhead is on the sequence.

My problem is I need to get this project recorded onto a beta deck, with sound in sync the whole way through, no stopping. Any ideas on how to fix or where to read about this issue? Anyone even seen this before? I admit I haven't searched too hard because time is so short and I am still doing 100 other things.

Thanks,
Rob
Rob Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2004, 12:44 AM   #598
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

What camera did you shoot the raw footage with? A DVX100? The footage is 24fps?

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2004, 01:01 AM   #599
Tourist

Yes, the original footage was shot in 24Padvance on the DVX100. It was then captured into FCP4 at 23.98.

Also- the individual clips play in sync fine alone (sound was all manually adjusted per clip), its just gets out of sync after several minutes of continuous playback.

-Rob
Rob Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2004, 01:09 AM   #600
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

See this FCP support page.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite