NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2004 - Page 30 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 6th, 2004, 07:31 PM   #436
Regular Crew

FCP4 Quits!

My FCP4 quits unexpectedly 3 to 4 times at irregular intervals. I have a G5, single 1.8 ghz, 1 gig ram, 260 gig hd, 120 add-on hd, Jaguar OS, and FCP 4.0.2. Anyone else experience this? Sometimes I'll edit a clip and can't click save fast enough before I lose it. I reload FCP and go back to the clip and do it all over again. Any feedback/suggestions appreciated.

Thanks!
Dave Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2004, 08:00 AM   #437
New Boot

Do you see those lines on a NTSC monitor? Or only on your Mac while editing? Interlacing on the computer looks like that, but when you bring it out to NTSC it should go away.
Kevin Lawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2004, 08:03 AM   #438
Regular Crew

.aif import problem

I have downloaded an .aif file which is on my desk top. When I try to import it into FCE, I get a "General Error" message. It will not drag into the program either.

Thanks in advance, Grant McClintock
Grant McClintock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2004, 02:15 PM   #439
New Boot

That was it

Kevin,

That was it. I could have sworn I watched it on a monitor, but I tried it again this morning, and viewed it on my monitor at work and it looks great!

Thanks!
Jaz Garewal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2004, 03:57 PM   #440
Regular Crew

Open it in Quicktime or iTunez. Does it play? Export as a 48000Hz 16-bit AIFF file (mono or stereo depending on what it is). Then import THAT one into FCE and see if it works.
Ted Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2004, 04:14 PM   #441
Regular Crew

I have downloaded these sound files from Sounddog. I downloaded them as aif, 48,000 Hz, 16 bits. The files are about 10 mgb. When the download is finished I get a player on the desktop and the sound begins immediately. I can't find any file on the hard drives related to this player and the player cannot be imported, opened, etc. I got the following from the Sounddog site FAQ. This would seem to be the problem but I can't see what to do in either Quicktime or Explorer.

"Q. My sounds are coming up as RealPlayer only files. What's wrong? A. On your system, RealPlayer has been specified to control all audio passing through your browser. This often causes a problem if you need to hear the sound without using RealPlayer. To resolve, reinstall Quicktime or Windows Media Player or alter your settings in your browser preferences so that sound files are saved to disk."

Thanks Grant
Grant McClintock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2004, 11:44 AM   #442
Regular Crew

Final Cut Pro and Clustering

I ran into instructions the other day on how to cluster your macs together. I was thinking this will be great if FCP is aware of parallel processing. Well i have not been able to find out this info so i thought somebody here might have an idea.

If you want more info on clustering: http://www.daugerresearch.com/pooch/gettingstarted.html
Paul Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2004, 05:14 PM   #443
Regular Crew

Dropped Frames

I've been backing up tapes from a project in Final Cut Express, and all is going well except for one tape. When I try to capture this tape FCE tells me that frames were dropped and it quits importing the video. I've tried to capture it a few times and it seems like it stops capturing at different times on the tape.

I was wondering if anyone might have an idea of what's causing this and how to stop it, or get around it.

Canon GL2, Mac OS 10.3.3, FCE
Cannon Pearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2004, 07:17 PM   #444
Regular Crew

I cant tell you what is causing it but if you want it to stop it from aborting capture then go to user prefences and uncheck "abort capture on dropped frames." Just so you know this is how you do it in Final Cut Pro, but i think it is the same way in express.

Brian
Brian Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2004, 09:32 PM   #445
Warden

To the best of my knowledge FCP is not set up to network render like After Effects and other processor intensive software.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2004, 10:03 PM   #446
Warden

Did you resolve this issue?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old April 8th, 2004, 10:22 PM   #447
Warden

what version of QT are you using and you should update to the latest version of FCP, 4.1.1 If that doesn’t solve it, try trashing the three preferences files FCP uses.

Old April 8th, 2004, 10:29 PM   #448
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info. I didnt know after effects was. I guess ill set the cluster up. Then try to figure out how to use AE lol
Paul Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2004, 12:55 AM   #449
Regular Crew

Is there any reason to update to 4.1.1 from 4.1 since 4.1.1 only deals with Chinese characters?
Ted Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2004, 05:51 AM   #450
Warden

My understanding is you are correct Ted. However, I didn't want to confuse Dave, if he ran Software Update and saw the different version. I don't know of any individuals having issues with the update, (just 4.1.1 not FCP) so it wouldn't hurt.

Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite