NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2004 - Page 25 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 21st, 2004, 10:55 PM   #361
Warden

I made that decision several years ago. In 1995 I became a certified Avid editor. In 2000 I switched to FCP. stability was not a major factor, but work flow, cost vs. benefits etc were factors. Now, almost 5 years later I wouldn't change a thing. FCP and Apple is still the best combination for me.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2004, 11:26 PM   #362
Regular Crew

Thanks alot for the input you are helping me to go back to FCP.

Cheers,
David Applegate
David Applegate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2004, 04:08 AM   #363
Regular Crew

HDV & Final Cut Pro 4

Hi guys, has anyone heard news on support for HDV in FCP4 ?

This is to support the new 'currently titled' hdv format spec agreed to upon by Canon/Sony/Sharp/JVC - also the generic format of JVC's HD 1 Chipper.

Thanks folks.
Paul
Paul Dhadialla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2004, 08:52 AM   #364
Regular Crew

Is the deck set to DV or DVCAM? Since you shot on a Canon, you need to make sure the deck is set to DV mode.

Cheers
Old March 22nd, 2004, 10:52 AM   #365
Regular Crew

FCP "offline" clips problem IN HAITI

March 21, 2004

Hi -

Been non-communicative since we were busy with a regime change, I got hit by a rebel bullet ricochet, etc.

We are trying to get back to normal, which means editing a longish doc using FCP 3.0 on a G4. We digitized low rez and are working away. All clips are on an external hard drive. We started in Jan but had to stop due to events here...

We recently took the FCP file (the project) and put in our Powerbook. We did this before... in fact did some editing for a while on that and then switched to the G4 and there was no problem.

But for this switch back to the Powerbook, BIG PROBLEM!

The browser sees all the media on the ext. hard drive, but a number of clips in the two sequences (in the timeline) say they are "offline." Not all. And not the same ones...

When I select a clip and then select "item properties" and then hit "okay," the clip goes from "offline" to normal.

I save the project.

Then I change sequences or close and re-open.

Guess what?

Clip is "off line" in the sequence (timeline) again.

I am kind of panicking (of course).

Here we are in Port-au-Prince Haiti. Not too many experts here.

Please any help would be so useful.

Thanks,

Jane Regan
Jane Regan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2004, 11:34 AM   #366
Regular Crew

I have seen this when you move projects around from computer to computer. You have to "Reconnect Media". On the timeline, go to where the white Media Offline clips are. Right click (or control click if you don't have a two button mouse) on the clip and select "Reconnect media". Now navigate to where that clip's source file is on the external drive or wherever and select it. Bam! There you go. Save. You may have to do this each time you move the project around from computer to computer.

Hope things get better for you all in Haiti.
Ted Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2004, 12:07 PM   #367
Contributor

Hi Jane,

I hope you are all right – the fact that you are editing and writing is probably a good sign.

Did you try reconnecting the media directly in the time line?

Select the offline clip in the timeline. Make sure that the offline clip in the browser is not selected. Then choose "reconnect media” or something like that – I have a German version from FCP 3 so I’m guessing the wording, in the "File” menu. You will get a dialog which asks you to tell FCP where the file to be linked is. Find the file, select it and click ok.

If that doesn’t help, and there aren’t a lot of clips that are offline, then you could try recapturing them from the original tapes, by selecting an offline clip, control clicking it and choosing "capture...” (again it may be a word like capture, it could be "record” as well). FCP will only capture the missing footage in that clip.

I hope this helps.

Editing in low res. is really tricky – I have had a lot of problems with doing that.

Good luck, and heal well!

Frankenstein meets XL1
Daniel Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2004, 03:41 PM   #368
Major Player

I use a DSR-11 with FCP4 and have never had any problem with capturing.

What does sometimes happen is that I run of the end of the time code onto a blank portion of the tape and that confuses FCP4.
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2004, 04:53 PM   #369
Regular Crew

How do you make multiple subclips into self contained movies? FC Express

I have a bunch of subclips that need to be made into self contained movies. Is there a way to do this to a whole group at once or do you have to Ctr+click each one and select 'Export' - 'Movie' ?

Hope one of you can save me a bunch of time!

Cheers,
Brian
Brian Huey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2004, 05:12 PM   #370
Inner Circle

Use batch export. It's under file --> batch export.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2004, 05:16 PM   #371
Regular Crew

I'm using Final Cut Express (should have mentioned that in the first post) and I don't see that option. Should it be under 'Export' of the Ctrl+Click menu? Cause if so it looks like Express doesn't have it, all that's listed under that menu is 'Movie'

Thanks for the help.
Old March 22nd, 2004, 06:17 PM   #372
Major Player

Does FCE have a media manager? In FCP you can do this with its media manager deleting all media found in the main clip thats not used by the subclips and leaving self contained sub clips.Do this only if you no longer need the media.Possibly a greater chance of deleting needed media this way though if you are not paying attention.
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2004, 07:17 PM   #373
Regular Crew

Just checked the Apple site and FCE doesn't have the Media Manager, so it looks like I'll just have to do each individual clip. Matt, I figured it should have something like, similar to the 'Trim-Project' I've used with Premiere and I thought that since FCE was suppose to basically be FCP3 that it would have that feature but it looks like they axed it.

Thanks for the info guys, back to work...

Cheers,
Brian
Old March 22nd, 2004, 08:50 PM   #374
Regular Crew

Is there any avid users out there who would tell us why you like avid so much?

Cheers,

David Applegate
David Applegate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2004, 07:21 AM   #375
Major Player

A film editor I know very much prefers the user interface for Avid but has no problems with FCP other than that.
Rob Belics is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite